Winter is killing me

DemiCat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok my turn....i went out for an "early" 8:30am cycle yesterday and it was beareable for my standards. We started of with a very flat jeep track and then my heart rate spiked to 160 according to my Garmin and stayed there for quite some time. I never felt uneasy or out of breath at any stage. Then we had a nice climb and as soon as we hit the flatter part my HR stayed high. I even stopped and it didnt want to go down at first. Then after a few minutes i started cycling the last stretch with my hear rate "normal" we had coffee turned around and head home with out any of the above "problems". Could this all be the cold weather? I havent been on the bike in this chilly weather for a long time. The temp was maybe 7 -10 deg with a cold wind?

Ok my turn....i went out for an "early" 8:30am cycle yesterday and it was beareable for my standards. We started of with a very flat jeep track and then my heart rate spiked to 160 according to my Garmin and stayed there for quite some time. I never felt uneasy or out of breath at any stage. Then we had a nice climb and as soon as we hit the flatter part my HR stayed high. I even stopped and it didnt want to go down at first. Then after a few minutes i started cycling the last stretch with my hear rate "normal" we had coffee turned around and head home with out any of the above "problems". Could this all be the cold weather? I havent been on the bike in this chilly weather for a long time. The temp was maybe 7 -10 deg with a cold wind?

When I do a ride and my heart rate is abnormally high then I know that the dreaded flu is around the corner.

The coldest I’ve been on a bike is probably riding in Bethlehem at Maluti challenge and SA’s back in late 80’s. I lived in Kimberley at that time which was cold enough in winter but that Maluti mountains are on another level.

Edited by Cippo

Load up on the vitamins. Sounds like you already have a cold.

No such thing as bad weather. Only bad gear.

Remember I think it was the 2012 Cape Epic when Burry got penalized because he received outside assistance by taking a riding jacket from someone on route, and then they reversed the penalty because it was found that it was life threatening conditions with a few riders pulling out because of hypothermia. It was the stage from Greyton to Oak Valley and the Cape storm broke loose just before Lebanon.

No such thing as bad weather. Only bad gear.

When I heard of the Napier Patatfees and MTB ride my first thoughts were to check the weather.

Turns out it would be a perfect day for cycling.  Though the ride would start at 5 or 6 degrees C.  NOT a problem.  Layer up and go and enjoy the ride.

And so I packed all the layered clothing in the car, first time ever that I packed my arm warmers.

And so we leave the Cape before 5:00 and drive to Napier.  THICK fog on the N2 !!  Line of slow moving vehicles all flashing hazard lights.  Thankfully no fog as we go over the mountain, and actually the temperature was pleasant in the Cape.  Past Caledon we encountered more fog, and the temperatures started dropping - no problem in the car, just turn up the heat.

Just outside Napier I got the fright of my life !!!  1 degree C !!  O CR@P !!!!

At the venue it was super chilly, but probably closer to 4 or 5 degrees C.

Thankfully the temperature rose quick enough when the day broke and we started at about 8 degrees C .... talk about dodging a bullet !

PS - sorry DC, no advice regarding your cold feet.

Final stage of Lesotho sky 2017. Above 2000m, 3-5 deg, driving rain and wind. One dude was hugging the generator at the finish, hypothermic as .....

He bolted from his partner during the stage he was so cold. We were riding with his partner who was grumpy that his partner left him, until he found out why.

Had all my gear on, but with numerous river crossings it was all soaking.

After the finish we had to ride another 10km to our cars as the short 1km track was washed out and unrideable, that really sucked.

Cold is fine, but cold and rain, not a moer.

A rather chilly-14deg ride earlier this year.Its all about layers [emoji6][emoji106]

70bbf9b89169aa997c6d07bb3a634988.jpg

2ea39f58167672ff32d5bae7d0f69435.jpg

d3e232c35f2aeddab4dd861deb481943.jpg

a7fb4a3b9dc0c3f7c7604efbfaebadcd.jpg

And not going down any long and fast downhills

Avoid them like the plague in winter I do