bike24.com won't ship Shimano parts to SA?

xero7

doesnt mean cos it’s local it’s more expensive.

If I compare a simple 10-42t GX cassette locally with that off CRC or Bike24 then yes, locally is a flipping rip off.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in it and did the shuffle with a 11 sp xt groupset.

must have been user error on my side then ... will look again!

Yes. All the big brands are geolocking their supply chain to protect the local distributors in the various countries.

Interestingly I see in the EU geolocking has been determined to be a restrictive practice within the EU - if only our Competition Commission had some focus on this issue...the local importers have enough of protection in the form of the awful service from the post office on incoming shipments if you dont use a courier :) 

Geo-blocking is a discriminatory practice that prevents online customers from accessing and purchasing products or services from a website based in another member state. In order to remove this barrier, the EU is putting in place a geo-blocking regulation.

On 27 February 2018, the Council adopted the regulation to ban unjustified geo-blocking in the internal market. 

"The end of geo-blocking means wider choice, better deals for consumers and more opportunities for businesses", said Lilyana Pavlova, Minister for the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU. 

The regulation will remove discrimination based on: 

• customers' nationality
  • place of residence
  • place of establishment

<p>

Interestingly I see in the EU geolocking has been determined to be a restrictive practice within the EU - if only our Competition Commission had some focus on this issue...the local importers have enough of protection in the form of the awful service from the post office on incoming shipments if you dont use a courier :)

Geo-blocking is a discriminatory practice that prevents online customers from accessing and purchasing products or services from a website based in another member state. In order to remove this barrier, the EU is putting in place a geo-blocking regulation.

On 27 February 2018, the Council adopted the regulation to ban unjustified geo-blocking in the internal market.

"The end of geo-blocking means wider choice, better deals for consumers and more opportunities for businesses", said Lilyana Pavlova, Minister for the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU.

The regulation will remove discrimination based on:

• customers' nationality
  • place of residence
  • place of establishment

Makes complete sense within the EU. Geoblocking is diameterically opposed to the principles of the EU.

Theoretically I'm against geoblocking in general but there needs to be some protection against government subsidies etc.

Of course real, actual free trade is the best option but national/regional interests always trump free trade.

FWIW, Merlin still ships shimano stuff here for the time being.

Jenson usa is also already blocked.

Edited by morneS555

Campagnolo needs to get back into the Mtb business, at least you can still order it online (last time I checked)

Gosh, yes!!!

The Campagnolo Record OR groups from 1992 was beyond gorgeous. I wonder if Atra ever brought in any of the OR parts?

How is Aramex? Any guys been using them? Feedback?

Aramex global shopper solves the problem as you can specify a local German delivery adress

I refuse to buy any more Shimano since they wanted me to buy an entire set of disc brakes just because one part on the right hand lever broke. F..cking disgusting practice.

How is Aramex? Any guys been using them? Feedback?

Not always the fastest (usually takes about 9-10 days including clearing customs) from Europe but it gets here and it avoids using the post office and region blocking. Fairly reasonably priced as far as shipping goes. Bought some TT bars from Germany - R400 shipping and a Garmin Forerunner 945 from the UK - R200 shipping. (yes I needed a very specific set of clip-on TT bars for the shaped "aero cockpit" on my bike) Never had an issue buying from Europe.

Only issue I've ever had with them is getting something delivered from New Zealand, that took almost a month (although the package basically traveled the world NZ - Aus - Singapore - Dubai - ZA).

Not always the fastest (usually takes about 9-10 days including clearing customs) from Europe but it gets h..

Only issue I've ever had with them is getting something delivered from New Zealand, that took almost a month (although the package basically traveled the world NZ - Aus - Singapore - Dubai - ZA).

Do you end up paying double VAT (SA and foreign) when it comes from countries with VAT?

Do you end up paying double VAT (SA and foreign) when it comes from countries with VAT?

Yes, in my experience at least, vat charged when item purchased and sent to aramex forwarding address then vat charged when needed to clear here in SA

Yes, in my experience at least, vat charged when item purchased and sent to aramex forwarding address then vat charged when needed to clear here in SA

Thanks.  It's probably still cheaper in most cases.  And then there's stock availability to consider.

Yeah, that has been my experience too

Actually did the calcs, taking into account exchange rates and double VAT (i.e. European VAT plus SA VAT) on a purchase of an Ultegra 8000 groupset from Bike24 and shipping via aramex - still R2500 cheaper than the "discounted price" of CWC.

Whoever is making a profit out of this is simply gouging. It's disgraceful.

HI Eddie

Can you contact me with more info on who you dealt with in getting this info. Yes it is true we do not carry every Mavic item - their catalogue is massive, but we can usually accommodate special orders with our air freights every 4-6 weeks - on the rims we currently still have old stock (non UST version) as aftermarket rims are not big sellers it is not something we would bring in as a stock item if there was no demand - but can definitely get on special order for you. 

but yeah if you can give me some info on who you dealt with i would appreciate it

my mail is gavins@dragons.co.za

Same

Mavic blocked international orders and I couldn’t order UST Pro road rims (not entire wheel) as I did previously from Sigmasport. Neither did Mavic’s local distributor stock it. So I’m stuck. Have to look at other brands’ for another pair of UST road rims, as I can’t replace my damaged rim with same. Enquired at a couple of local bike shops to get it - all came back with Mavic does not stock that rim in SA. And it’s not old an old component.
Did manage to get one in through Starbike, but if they close those up I’m going to be stuck for good.