Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Ironman African Championships - Received this mail this morning. “It is with great excitement that we announce that a memorandum of intent has been reached between IRONMAN South Africa and the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality. This will see Nelson Mandela Bay remain the home of the Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship for a further three years

The race date for the 2020 event will be Sunday, 29th March 2020 with entries opening at the following times:

PRIORITY ENTRY - AWA ATHLETES

Wednesday, 19th June, 2:00 pm

PRIORITY ENTRY - 2019 ATHLETES

Wednesday, 19th June, 2:00 pm

PRIORITY ENTRY - TRICLUB ATHLETES

Thursday, 20th June, 2:00 pm

GENERAL REGISTRATION

Monday, 24th June, 4:00 pm”

Edited by Craai

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of entering but to be honest I'm scared, not really sure what I'm scared of though?

I know I can do those distances and I've started training for CT Marathon and Cape Ultra, I've spoken to the missus who is supportive (already put it in the family calendar).  I know it's a lonely rd to be out training when it's dark and cold. I will be away from the wife and daughters and they already ask when I'll be back if I go out for a gym session/run/cycle. 

Is there anything else I should think about before I enter? 

PS this has been on my "To do list" for about 10 years now. it's never been the right time and I doubt it ever will so before I turn 40 I want to do it but  I can't go in half arsed. 

Thinking of entering but to be honest I'm scared, not really sure what I'm scared of though?

I know I can do those distances and I've started training for CT Marathon and Cape Ultra, I've spoken to the missus who is supportive (already put it in the family calendar).  I know it's a lonely rd to be out training when it's dark and cold. I will be away from the wife and daughters and they already ask when I'll be back if I go out for a gym session/run/cycle. 

Is there anything else I should think about before I enter? 

PS this has been on my "To do list" for about 10 years now. it's never been the right time and I doubt it ever will so before I turn 40 I want to do it but  I can't go in half arsed. 

Yeah, it needs to be a committed effort, otherwise you're in for a long day of suffering and no enjoyment. Don't start training in earnest too early, ramp up gradually. I only really put the hammer down in the new year which gives you roughly 3 months of training. However, in order to do that you need a solid base, so make sure you have that. 

I suggest getting a training programme from trainingpeaks or similar; a structured program from professional coach beats the hell out of "winging it" on your own 

Yeah, it needs to be a committed effort, otherwise you're in for a long day of suffering and no enjoyment. Don't start training in earnest too early, ramp up gradually. I only really put the hammer down in the new year which gives you roughly 3 months of training. However, in order to do that you need a solid base, so make sure you have that. 

I suggest getting a training programme from trainingpeaks or similar; a structured program from professional coach beats the hell out of "winging it" on your own 

I've actually resigned or stepped down as the Chairperson of "Team Winging It" so yes I have started training but for other events and I'm aware of the Ramp Up time. 

I'll have a look at trainingpeaks and also 220 Triathlon, I have a mate who's also very keen on doing it but he's the "Let's go full retard" type and then pulls out with weeks to go. 

I've got till the end of October to get my **** in order right?? :-) 

Just do it else will regret it. 

As Craai says, build a base now and start full on training in early January else you will be gatvol a month out from the race.

If you do the training, the day will be enjoyable no matter how long it takes you... especially as your aim is to finish.  I see you are doing a lot of running if doing the CT marathon, keep the running up, it will make the race much more enjoyable if you can run.

As for training plans, when I started 5 years ago, I looked for something suitable on traininpeaks and even found a few free ones :) 

USAT Base building plan https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/triathlon/ironman/tp-85881/usa-triathlon-140-6-base-period-12-week-plan

British Triathlon race training plan https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/triathlon/ironman/tp-74154/140-6-training-plan-12-weeks

Just create a free TP account and then buy the above plans (for free), they will be added to your library for future use or when you decide to go all in.

Enjoy the journey !! :)

Much appreciated guys! 

I'm at 90% now that I'm going to do it. 

I'll just find a few more Inspirational, motivational type videos on Youtube ;-)

So, for the additional 10% needed, here's my account in brief.

At 50 and some change decided it's time.

Joined 3T Tissink Training. (Essential part of my journey)

MTB Tumble - PCL off, recon and back to the schedule.

2018 Dbn Half.

2019 - Got the Medal.

Training is tough, but rewarding. The Race is awesome!

Loved the whole experience.

Will I do it again? Hell yes! Hoping for Africa Series in 2020.

Edited by Stockman

2018 Dbn Half.

2019 - Got the Medal.

And you live in PE so you get mad 'sellers remorse' every time the event rolls past.

Giving the IM events a miss for 2020 - having done EL & PE both 3 years in a row - wanting to start life after IM - events just stupid expensive now - opting to rather go on 5 -6 race holidays with that monies (pool fees, travel,accom. entry fee, nutrition) - lets see wat OMTOM and argus etc brings

But i wont shoot the event, ill be there to support.

2018 Dbn Half.

2019 - Got the Medal.

Awesome, love the story. 

Do you feel you would not have achieved your medal if you had NOT joined Tissing Training?

And you live in PE so you get mad 'sellers remorse' every time the event rolls past.

I was in PE the week before Ironman this year (my timing sucked!) Was there for the start of the SA Lifesaving champs and man was I pissed off. Every corner you turned there some IM related poster, seeing the folks doing their taper runs on the beach :-( 

Earlier today I sent the missus a 12 week program which I got off 220 Tri... her response... 

YOU CAN DO IT... I guess I can't argue or shouldn't argue with the wife then? I also emailed our conversation to myself, so should I ever need it in black and white I have it!  ^_^

Earlier today I sent the missus a 12 week program which I got off 220 Tri... her response... 

YOU CAN DO IT... I guess I can't argue or shouldn't argue with the wife then? I also emailed our conversation to myself, so should I ever need it in black and white I have it!  ^_^

She's a keeper! 

Better sign up and pay before she changes her mind !! ;)

Awesome, love the story. 

Do you feel you would not have achieved your medal if you had NOT joined Tissing Training?

I needed the group sessions for motivation and training under a legend like Ray Tissink is pretty cool!

The programme definitely assisted me in achieving my goal.