Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Earlier today I sent the missus a 12 week program which I got off 220 Tri... her response...

YOU CAN DO IT... I guess I can't argue or shouldn't argue with the wife then? I also emailed our conversation to myself, so should I ever need it in black and white I have it! ^_^

If you are relatively fit, can swim a little, can cycle a little and can run a little you can do Ironman. No need for expensive kit or ny structured programs nor coach. It just makes it easier.

If you want to do the best you possibly can then the above are needed.

Tri220 programs are effective and will get you to the end. You a youngster. ;)

My story similar to Stockman. Went from an overweight beer guzzling couch potato to overweight beer guzzling Ironman in 18 months. I had also not done any activity of any kind for 25 years except a lil swimmin. It I suffered like a mofo and the wheels came off on the first one but I did it.

Best thing I ever did. Do it.

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are relatively fit, can swim a little, can cycle a little and can run a little you can do Ironman. No need for expensive kit or ny structured programs nor coach. It just makes it easier.

If you want to do the best you possibly can then the above are needed.

Tri220 programs are effective and will get you to the end. You a youngster. ;)

My story similar to Stockman. Went from an overweight beer guzzling couch potato to overweight beer guzzling Ironman in 18 months. I had also not done any activity of any kind for 25 years except a lil swimmin. It I suffered like a mofo and the wheels came off on the first one but I did it.

Best thing I ever did. Do it.

Not everyone wants to finish at 12 in the dark and freezing there ass off. My opinion get a coach, trust the system and enjoy the process

Not everyone wants to finish at 12 in the dark and freezing there ass off. My opinion get a coach, trust the system and enjoy the process

Some do even with a coach

Be careful with your assumptions. Not everyone can finish before the sun goes down regardless of level of intent. There are many many factors with such a crazy race.

One more thing; remember to keep the other half happy (Well, as happy as you can).

It's going to be a trying time; trust me, I almost ended up on the "Advice on Divorce" thread :D . My wife always tells the Ironman story like this: "When he wasn't running, he was swimming. When he wasn't swimming he was cycling. When he wasn't doing any of that, he was sleeping". Trying to juggle a family with Ironman training is tough, try to get her involve; take her along when running/cycling/swimming, even if it's just for a part of the session. 

True that. Ironman becomes obsessive. You start declining invitations and/or leave functions early cos you had a long day/have a long day planned tomorrow. Eats into family time too. I ended up training mostly in the early morning before family woke up but was in bed most nights by 9. Can’t burn it at both ends.

Luckily, my wife came from a sporting background and was understanding. She also been there at every Ironman finish. Without her support it would not be possible.

But when you turn that little right hand corner and come onto the hallowed red carpet in PE and the crowd go bos, and the Pom Pom girls are dancing and energetic and Paul announces those immortal words. All the pain, all the suffering, all the 4am wake ups, all the money spent, all the sacrifices made, pale into insignificance compared to the feeling of absolute exhilaration of achieving a goal. IM transcends the event, it’s empowers you, it entitles you and you realize that nothing is impossible. But hey, I am a romantic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Payment made  .... 

I shook as I clicked pay now, I messaged the wife and she replies woohoo! I'm excited for you!

WTF women, I'm shitting my pants here and you making plans and sending friends and family "the news". 

Anyhoo she messaged a few of her friends to say that she's now officially a Triathlon widow. 

I'm weirdly excited, I think I should be scared but this has been a goal of mine for a long time.  

Payment made ....

I shook as I clicked pay now, I messaged the wife and she replies woohoo! I'm excited for you!

WTF women, I'm shitting my pants here and you making plans and sending friends and family "the news".

Anyhoo she messaged a few of her friends to say that she's now officially a Triathlon widow.

I'm weirdly excited, I think I should be scared but this has been a goal of mine for a long time.

Brilliant. Congratulations.

Awesome feeling stepping outside ones comfort zone.

IM is super cool.

Nice one Dadbod , also entered this week again. Dont know if i am excited or stupid, but def don't want to miss it. It is awesome..... Take it all in... Watch out for Post IM Blues, it is real..

Awesome - first step done!  Make sure to book accommodation asap, places nearby fill fast!

If your wife is excited for you then you are already well on your way to being able to do it!  You need huge support from family to put up with you for the next few months and make sure you are fueled for your training and racing.  It is very exciting and will become daunting as race day approaches, but if you have done the training it really is a doable endeavour and completing it is very rewarding!  The PE race is brilliantly supported and superbly run, you are going to love it!

Good luck with the training!

The missus just messaged me now saying she's going to sort out accomodation. If push comes to shove we'll stay with family. 

I the family has my back, the wife and I have been doing events for years, she's slowed down cause of the kids but hey best way is to get them involved too! lol The girls first Tri is next weekend :-) 

• 2 months later...

Is this thread quiet cause we're all training?  :ph34r:

Hope everyone's training is going well?

I first need to get 70.3 EL out of the way in 2 weeks, then it is full focus on IM

Edited by ADe

Is this thread quiet cause we're all training?  :ph34r:

Hope everyone's training is going well?

Loved reading the thread from the beginning!

It's an awesome journey, and you're very lucky to have a supportive wife.

Did you manage to get a coach or are you doing it per a training programme?

I hope you have a mate to train with, those long runs on a sunday are quite tough on your own.

If anything, you'll lose that dad bod in no time when you're into the training!

Best of luck! Looking forward to following your journey