Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved reading the thread from the beginning!

It's an awesome journey, and you're very lucky to have a supportive wife.

Did you manage to get a coach or are you doing it per a training programme?

I hope you have a mate to train with, those long runs on a sunday are quite tough on your own.

If anything, you'll lose that dad bod in no time when you're into the training!

Best of luck! Looking forward to following your journey

Hey Stiggy, not so sure about the supportive wife, she's become bossy now... She wanted a copy of the training program and now questions "How hard the session was and did  I do it properly??" everytime I get home...lol 

I'm following a program and really giving it everything. As for the partners, I have running, swimming and cycling partners so, so far so good. 

Happy training everyone!

Training progressing well, and with this wind in cape town our bikes days suck... just using it as power training. lol 

Yeah, Saturday is a big ride for me and the weather folk are predicting a bit of a breeze...

Hey Stiggy, not so sure about the supportive wife, she's become bossy now... She wanted a copy of the training program and now questions "How hard the session was and did  I do it properly??" everytime I get home...lol 

I'm following a program and really giving it everything. As for the partners, I have running, swimming and cycling partners so, so far so good. 

Happy training everyone!

Oh dear! Good luck

Also remember those brick runs after your long rides, they're the devil's spawn but build mental strength and endurance!

Oh dear! Good luck

Also remember those brick runs after your long rides, they're the devil's spawn but build mental strength and endurance!

Yeah man, I had one on Sunday.  :devil:

I had to laugh cause as I came home after my ride on Sunday and left my bike at the door (the missus said she'll put it away when I left) I quickly changed into my running kit and my daughters are there standing talking to me. From inside I hear the missus shouting, "girls please give dad some space, this is the transition area"  :clap:

And then my Achilles decides to insert a little tear which has scuttled the Africa Series hopes for 2020!

So ...... No East London, deferred IM to 2021. Maybe do Durban 70.3.

Start again!

Best of luck to all those doing EL and then in particular FULL PE. I'll be there to support!

Happy training!

Yeah. Easier on logistics an less citizen stress. Never understood the change but possibly to make worlds easier and safer. Beginning to think maybe 2021.

Unless someone here wishes to sponsor a fat lad at the back in 2020.

Edited by IceCreamMan

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to panic about my run off the bike. 

My brick sessions are always slow, the program says to include the run walk which I do.

Anything under 20kms I breeze and I come home feeling super fresh. 

Is this one of those things where one day I'll wake up and all of a sudden my run off the bike will feel much better and for now I just keep on slogging away?

I'm starting to panic about my run off the bike. 

My brick sessions are always slow, the program says to include the run walk which I do.

Anything under 20kms I breeze and I come home feeling super fresh. 

Is this one of those things where one day I'll wake up and all of a sudden my run off the bike will feel much better and for now I just keep on slogging away?

hahahahaha no... and yes....

It's NEVER easy getting going after a 180km bike ride. You do get more used to it, but no.

I found it's good to come home on the bike with a bit more torque in the pedals, get out the saddle a few times and warm up the running muscles. 

Experience here is king and base miles (I'm talking years of running, not 2 years of training for IM) also makes the first 10km 'easier'.

Just grin and bear it. Race day there is heaps of gees and crowds lining the streets which helps. There are a couple of lonely sections on the run but they are short.

If you're going to finish after dark you will need to dig really deep. The crowds start to disperse and the course empties out pretty fast so you will have some lonely moments out there.

On these sorts of things, doing enough to finish is one thing, doing enough to enjoy it and finish comfortably 'usually' comes after a few years of hard work.

Keep plugging away and concentrate on the little victories.

Prior to 2016 the PE ironman used to go through the varsity ground, 3 laps of 14 km's. 8 km's was up and down the main drag and lekker in the crowds, the other 6 km's was pure hell for us fat ous….walking down that road at 22:50 being the only athlete in sight and no spectators, past the water point , no people to talk to, feet burning was hell. 

I was by far the slowest marathon on the day of all finishers. Fastest AG swimmer, slowest of all runner. The day always has ups and downs eh. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

Prior to 2016 the PE ironman used to go through the varsity ground, 3 laps of 14 km's. 8 km's was up and down the main drag and lekker in the crowds, the other 6 km's was pure hell for us fat ous….walking down that road at 22:50 being the only athlete in sight and no spectators, past the water point , no people to talk to, feet burning was hell. 

I was by far the slowest marathon on the day of all finishers. Fastest AG swimmer, slowest of all runner. The day always has ups and downs eh. 

I've always said that anyone who finishes after 8pm is the real hero!

The 'new' run course is way more user friendly. The turn around up the hill to the petrol station on the varsity side must be really horrible late at night.

The 'new' run course is way more user friendly. The turn around up the hill to the petrol station on the varsity side must be really horrible late at night.

That hill up Admilitary Way in the day time is horrible!!  At least the rest of the run along Marine Dr is well supported and fun until the sun goes down... there you are all about your own mental strength!!

The old course used to go past that garage all the way to the top of the hill then turn left through the university down to the bottom where one turned left again on marine parade road about 2 km's from where the corner is where the turn is.  

I got to hug Jodie Swallow that night although I had no idea who the hell she was. I was new to tri and had no idea who the personalities were. Had no idea about the winners coming back for the last hour so there is a silver lining I guess. 

Just one thing to new ous doing it, you must go to the awards evening!! 

Edited by IceCreamMan

That hill up Admilitary Way in the day time is horrible!!  At least the rest of the run along Marine Dr is well supported and fun until the sun goes down... there you are all about your own mental strength!!

hahahaha I said 'really horrible' because in the day it is horrible!

Boys +- a month to go. Had our longest run this past weekend. 32km. Was ok but damn it sucks running that far. 180 cycle this weekend coming and then mileage coming down with a few un necessary bricks on weekends, will see how that goes. As i am still in 2 minds about brick sessions ( maybe they work mentally) lol.