Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Boys +- a month to go. Had our longest run this past weekend. 32km. Was ok but damn it sucks running that far. 180 cycle this weekend coming and then mileage coming down with a few un necessary bricks on weekends, will see how that goes. As i am still in 2 minds about brick sessions ( maybe they work mentally) lol. 

I had my long run two weeks ago and I agree that long run was completely ****. On Saturday I had a really good 26km, yesterday was a brutal 155km (I had to do 160km as per Simon, Simon is my training program and I do what Simon says) but with the wind yesterday I think I'm ok by shaving off 5kms. In saying it was brutal I fitted an ISM saddle and HELLO no more having to pump my member through my chamois and looking like a complete weirdo on my bike. Where was this seat all my life! My hands feel weird though like I've irritated a nerve or something. 

My 3km swim this morning was also good so I should be feeling on top of the world but in all honesty, I'm tired! I could do with a 2 hour nap, you know those midday naps where you strip down to your onnie and actually get into your bed instead of just laying on the covers... Serious serious nap needed! 

As you say + - 1 month to go! Sterkte mense.....

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lekker yes i agree with you, we are a group of 3 friends training together and we are all tired ( baie vaak ook wil slaaaaap). We did our 140km ride sat morning and 32 km run yesterday. Rest day today with swim tomorrow. i think it is time to start the b12 injections.. Going to Bodyandbike at 13:00 for much needed massage. Nervs starting to slowly kick in...

The big build weeks before taper are always hard and you will feel tired and gatvol of the training.

Try to keep focus and push through as it will be worth it.  Soon the distance and intensity will drop and your body and fatigue will get less.  Trust in the training plan you are doing.  It pushes you to the brink of fatigue, which you will be glad you did come race day.

I agree yes, remember it now fro last year... TRUST THE TRAINING.. About 3 big weeks ahead ,then it is over..

The big build weeks before taper are always hard and you will feel tired and gatvol of the training.

Try to keep focus and push through as it will be worth it.  Soon the distance and intensity will drop and your body and fatigue will get less.  Trust in the training plan you are doing.  It pushes you to the brink of fatigue, which you will be glad you did come race day.

I bombed last week Thursday in the pool. I only managed about 1.3kms and then got out. Everything about that session was wrong. I put it down to my attitude about the session. I was tired, got home later than usual from work and just had a rushed supper and then got to the pool. What I should have done was just chill a bit more at home get my head into it and then go to the pool. 

Anyway, I found myself craving sugar so I hit the nearest garage shop 500ml coke and a massive Barone and just sat there watching people in and out the shop. 

My rest day on Friday got me back on track cause I'm happy with my weekends training sessions and this mornings session! 

I bombed last week Thursday in the pool. I only managed about 1.3kms and then got out. Everything about that session was wrong. I put it down to my attitude about the session. I was tired, got home later than usual from work and just had a rushed supper and then got to the pool. What I should have done was just chill a bit more at home get my head into it and then go to the pool. 

Anyway, I found myself craving sugar so I hit the nearest garage shop 500ml coke and a massive Barone and just sat there watching people in and out the shop. 

My rest day on Friday got me back on track cause I'm happy with my weekends training sessions and this mornings session! 

Some days it is better just to quit.  Hardly anyone completes a training plan 100% exactly.  Most plans are designed for the time crunched and is likely that you will only complete 85% of the workouts due to time constraints, commitments, illness etc.  So don't beat yourself up about it if you didn't complete.  Better to just put it behind you, recover and focus on going forward

i must say, the one thing that gets to me is swimming 4k in the pool. It feels like forever and ever. And turning around just gets in my head. But i just soldier on with the pull bouy between my legs.. Would love to do all my swims in openwater. 

Edited by Carmichael

I have always and will always advocate that the hardest part about IM is the training. 

Race day is a breeze in comparison

Without a doubt, the early wake ups, the late training sessions, the social events declined cos you training. Far more difficult than the day. The more difficult training is the easier the day is. One of life's lessons. 

Without a doubt, the early wake ups, the late training sessions, the social events declined cos you training. Far more difficult than the day. The more difficult training is the easier the day is. One of life's lessons.

Agreed, as the saying goes, the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on race day

Solid 13.5hr training week between 10 - 16 February which closed out with a long 2h30 run in the brutal 40deg heat that was about on the Sunday. 

It took copious amounts of water, coke, nourishment and the AC on full to keep moving for the rest of the day !!

Monday - first time in years, and I have a tickle in the nose  :unsure: by Wednesday full blown "MAN FLU" which gets me bed ridden for 3 days and only 4hrs in the saddle only because I was a spectator for the Herald Cycle Race in sublime conditions yesterday.

Still bunged up, as we all know that "MAN FLU" is real  :nuke:

Thing is ::: some 4/5 weeks to go & I'm  :excl: crazy paranoid about how long this 'sinus will still be lingering around for !

I guess, rather now if it has to be than 2 or 3 weeks out 

Solid 13.5hr training week between 10 - 16 February which closed out with a long 2h30 run in the brutal 40deg heat that was about on the Sunday. 

It took copious amounts of water, coke, nourishment and the AC on full to keep moving for the rest of the day !!

Monday - first time in years, and I have a tickle in the nose  :unsure: by Wednesday full blown "MAN FLU" which gets me bed ridden for 3 days and only 4hrs in the saddle only because I was a spectator for the Herald Cycle Race in sublime conditions yesterday.

Still bunged up, as we all know that "MAN FLU" is real  :nuke:

Thing is ::: some 4/5 weeks to go & I'm  :excl: crazy paranoid about how long this 'sinus will still be lingering around for !

I guess, rather now if it has to be than 2 or 3 weeks out 

Sterkte bru, I also woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and asked the missus to phone the ambulance.... 

She told me to calm down and showed me where the Corenza C was...  :blush:

Hi guys from the North! That is Gauteng, I mean.

I am retired now from the IM on cardiologist orders, diagnosed with acute cironary artery disease....

I have been accepted to volunteer as marshall, assistant, whatever at this year's IM so would like to ask if anyone has a space in their car. I will be traveling lightly with no gear of course so can assist with driving so you can rest, with contributions to fuel, et cetea.

Best

Christian

Oh Ate three 44 34 seven eleven

Had a 100km ride and 17km run on Saturday morning and felt good. 

So feeling a bit better about the race which is in less than a months type... (squeeky bum time) 

I just can't shake this tired feeling though, dammit I can sleep for 7-8 hours at night ( I basically just drop whatever I'm doing/suppose to do and go sleep) and I'm still so tired....