Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Would have been my friends second full ironman. 4 years training to get here, accomodation paid, leave sorted, etc etc ...

October and November is her busy season at her work, NO chance of attending then ....

Shattered ...

direct result of buying into the crazy hype of an event...in the grand scheme of things not really a big issue, same for anyone who's ever been injured close to an event, the sun will come up tomorrow, life goes on. Nothing stopping her from going to PE and having a holiday, it's a glass half full/empty scenario and there's to days to deal with it.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

direct result of buying into the crazy hype of an event...in the grand scheme of things not really a big issue, same for anyone who's ever been injured close to an event, the sun will come up tomorrow, life goes on. Nothing stopping her from going to PE and having a holiday, it's a glass half full/empty scenario and there's to days to deal with it.

yea i also don't get all this "dream over/mind shattered "talk? yea whatever about the training etc but

it is the same for everybody. Somebody out there is seeing this as an opportunity instead and will pitch up in november with the right mindset and be better than all the ones who are mif. Thats the difference. 

Just cos you ppl dont get it does not mean it does not exist.

For some, IM is a very serious affair. Let them feel how they need to. I am sure they will bounce back.

Big picture ... sure, these things happen. And yes, in a day or two people will get past this news, and set new goals.

But if you spent four years of ironman level training chasing a goal ... it must hurt, even more so if November is not an option.

best wishes to each of you dealing with this.  

Edited by ChrisF

Just cos you ppl dont get it does not mean it does not exist. 

For some, IM is a very serious affair. Let them feel how they need to. I am sure they will bounce back. 

I maintain. its the same for everyone competing....and its not more serious than any of the other (and bigger)world events getting cancelled left right and centre at the moment. in that regard..IM, cape epic or whatever means absolutely nothing in the bigger picture. IT just ads another variable that needs to be overcome. if they cant and someone else can, well......

yea i also don't get all this "dream over/mind shattered "talk? yea whatever about the training etc but

it is the same for everybody. Somebody out there is seeing this as an opportunity instead and will pitch up in november with the right mindset and be better than all the ones who are mif. Thats the difference.

I am guessing you have never been on this journey, hence your misjudged comment. For some this is a bucket list with considerable sacrifices to get there. It often means no social life and limited family life with loved ones!

I get it that you don't get it and therein lies the failing and belitteling of your comment..... and rather unwarranted as you have never been down that road, else you would understand.

Many will be crushed and dishartened for a day or two and when the time comes to get back into the right mindset they will. Fortunately they will have the experience of having gone through it and will be better for it.

Yes, it is the right decision and people will have to live with it as with all other events that are being cancelled

I am guessing you have never been on this journey, hence your misjudged comment. For some this is a bucket list with considerable sacrifices to get there. It often means no social life and limited family life with loved ones!

I get it that you don't get it and therein lies the failing and belitteling of your comment..... and rather unwarranted as you have never been down that road, else you would understand.

Many will be crushed and dishartened for a day or two and when the time comes to get back into the right mindset they will. Fortunately they will have the experience of having gone through it and will be better for it.

Yes, it is the right decision and people will have to live with it as with all other events that are being cancelled

i did not belittle anyone. you however did exactly that lol.

Do you know me? Do you know my journey? No.

it is pretty clear what i said....you literally just said the same thing.

If it's not clear enough...here it is again:

it is the same for all the competitors. The ones able to get over it and use it to their advantage or see it as another opportunity....will be better for it. the ones that dont...wont.  I don't know how to communicate it any other way than that....so sorry if it still doesn't translate.

anyway...

Edited by morneS555

Doesn’t Ironman own Epic ??

apparently yes. 

ps: paraphrasing from another thread

Edited by morneS555

i did not belittle anyone. you however did exactly that lol.

Do you know me? Do you know my journey? No.

it is pretty clear what i said....you literally just said the same thing.

If it's not clear enough...here it is again:

it is the same for all the competitors. The ones able to get over it and use it to their advantage or see it as another opportunity....will be better for it. the ones that dont...wont.  I don't know how to communicate it any other way than that....so sorry if it still doesn't translate.

anyway...

Your lack of empathy and understanding is belittling of how people are feeling and therefore unwarranted. Many will not get over it as they will not be able to give the time needed or energy to do it all over again.

Your comments basically tells me your journey, i don't need to know you!

Your lack of empathy and understanding is belittling of how people are feeling and therefore unwarranted. Many will not get over it as they will not be able to give the time needed or energy to do it all over again.

Your comments basically tells me your journey, i don't need to know you!

oh ok. yes. if you say so.

cant argue with that can I -_-

I will add that i will prob not do it in Nov. as the time taken from family and early morning sacrifices for and age grouper was enough for One time in this year. Also doing w2w a week before so that prob seals it. Next year yes.. But to do this training through winter will suck and our taper was just about to start.

I will add that i will prob not do it in Nov. as the time taken from family and early morning sacrifices for and age grouper was enough for One time in this year. Also doing w2w a week before so that prob seals it. Next year yes.. But to do this training through winter will suck and our taper was just about to start.

on the bright side, you can absolutely destroy w2w now and leave no match unburnt?  :thumbup:

Is it an option to redirect training to the Durban Ironman ?