Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

36 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Ja nee dit sukkel, and now with the cold winter settling in here, i find it difficult to wake up early and train. haven't done a swimming session in about 2 months. Also not sure if anything will happen this year... Lacking motivation..

Jammer om dit hoor... but I'm also glad that you're going through this! I no longer feel alone. 

Sterkte!! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see they have opened entries for November, guess you boys better start training again

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Training for Nov needs to start next month, i wonder i wonder....

I started swimming about a month and a half ago and then Squirrel said gyms needed to close and I'm back to WFH so my whole routine was out. 

Challenge Cape Town sent out a statement yesterday cancelling their even which was meant to be 7 November. Me thinks PE might be deferred again to April 2022

How many of you are Cape Town based?

With the lack of events I was contemplating doing The Cape Town Radathlon and maybe throwing in a charity aspect.

Robben Island to the Waterfront, Ride the peninsula plus change 180km ish then do a 50km ish trail run.

Would be an awesome full day of 'racing' and if there was a charity aspect it would be really cool. 

If there are any takers let me know. 

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

With the lack of events I was contemplating doing The Cape Town Radathlon and maybe throwing in a charity aspect.

Robben Island to the Waterfront, Ride the peninsula plus change 180km ish then do a 50km ish trail run.

Would be an awesome full day of 'racing' and if there was a charity aspect it would be really cool. 

Will pass on to a friend that has done the Ironman.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:24 AM, Jewbacca said:

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttt 

This is just insane! 

But if this should happen when roughly would you think of organising this? 

Oh and yes I'm Cape Town based.....

7 minutes ago, Dadbod Racing said:

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttt 

This is just insane! 

But if this should happen when roughly would you think of organising this? 

I'd like to try for early November or late October, before the SE decides to blow and blow but things have warmed up a little.

I might do it myself if no takers, just get a lift on a double surf ski out to the island and then have some company for the swim and just leave my car at the waterfront with everything I need re bike and running shoes, food etc 

I'm sure I can find an eager paddler who can take a few pictures and meet me on the route to document it... @Shebeen ?

If the appeal is there I will do the ride on a BMX if that ads to any sort of charity appeal - I thought a feeding relief fund would be cool - or SPCA

It's not that difficult to sort out if you don't mind 'rudimentary'... 

That is sort of how the original IM race started. That first race only had 15 competitors and John Dunbar the guy who finished second only hydrated with beer:-)

origin.jpg

Edited by _David_

3 hours ago, _David_ said:

That is sort of how the original IM race started. That first race only had 15 competitors and John Dunbar the guy who finished second only hydrated with beer:-)

origin.jpg

Didn't one for the first guys to finish Kona also do it in a "Jean pant"

1 hour ago, Dadbod Racing said:

Didn't one for the first guys to finish Kona also do it in a "Jean pant"

I love the history of this sport. Reading Matt Fitzgerald, Iron War got me into it and made me fall in love with endurance sport.

https://www.ironman.com/history

The trophy from the first IM race:

27ironman_top-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&

Race Start:

6_large.png

2_large.png

Edited by _David_