Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So this is sort of what I was envisioning for the Cape Town Radathlon!

swim Robben island to Big Bay. Cycle Paarl, Stellies Simonstown, Hout bay to end at the Waterfront. Run over the hill and back for sport? Sounds like a triathlon that could tempt me... 

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

swim Robben island to Big Bay. Cycle Paarl, Stellies Simonstown, Hout bay to end at the Waterfront. Run over the hill and back for sport? Sounds like a triathlon that could tempt me... 

I was more thinking one transition point at the golf course/waterfront breakwater, exit at the ski boat club, ride the peninsula and some loops, then back to the car and up to Maclears, round the mountain to the mast and back. Finish at the waterfront.

Not sure what time.... It might take a while!

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I was more thinking one transition point at the golf course/waterfront breakwater, exit at the ski boat club, ride the peninsula and some loops, then back to the car and up to Maclears, round the mountain to the mast and back. Finish at the waterfront.

Not sure what time.... It might take a while!

That swim would be a beast. 

Considering all things iconic, it would make for an epic day out. Rough end with that run but well worth it. Could easily make our version of Norseman/swedeman/celtman.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

That swim would be a beast. 

Considering all things iconic, it would make for an epic day out. Rough end with that run but well worth it. Could easily make our version of Norseman/swedeman/celtman.

It really would.

I'm having dinner with some friends tonight and I'm sure Kris will be keen. 

Like I said, I think I am going to try to make this happen regardless of whether it's just me, but having a handful of people would be 1st prize

49 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It really would.

I'm having dinner with some friends tonight and I'm sure Kris will be keen. 

Like I said, I think I am going to try to make this happen regardless of whether it's just me, but having a handful of people would be 1st prize

Waiting to hear from my friend. 

That SWIM might be a deal breaker ...:P

She is fine with long rides and runs .... but swimming is her weak point. 

OKAY, "long" by NORMAL standards .... not Jewbacca standards ... :whistling:

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Waiting to hear from my friend. 

That SWIM might be a deal breaker ...:P

She is fine with long rides and runs .... but swimming is her weak point. 

OKAY, "long" by NORMAL standards .... not Jewbacca standards ... :whistling:

I'm happy to swim with anyone who decides to do it and not just head down flat out it. I would insist that a boat or large paddle boat accompany each swimmer for safety, especially if they are uncertain. 

I'm pretty comfortable with that stretch of water having swum it a few times in the past, albeit a while ago now.

With it being 'not a race' but an experience, there is no pressure at all. If she bails half way and then just rides and runs then rad. She can be like those people who do half Iron Man and then post 'I just did Iron Man!' on their socials.......

1 minute ago, dave303e said:

Would happily replace the swim with a surfski though.

Ja but it's supposed to be easily accessible with the least amount of logistics possible. So I'm genuinely planning on having my bike and running kit locked in my car, then just using that as the base of operations for transitions etc. Surf key on my person and off we go! 

Easy peasy and less kit..... I still have nightmares about all the toys from the old totalsports challenge!

• 2 months later...

So, we are about 6 weeks into our training program, ramping up quite nicely ( ja ja) , swimming about 6ks a week, cycling about 180 a week, and running 30 -40km a week. Legs strating to feel the load. First brick session coming sunday..... 

Hows the training going? 

28 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

So, we are about 6 weeks into our training program, ramping up quite nicely ( ja ja) , swimming about 6ks a week, cycling about 180 a week, and running 30 -40km a week. Legs strating to feel the load. First brick session coming sunday..... 

Hows the training going? 

Those are rookie numbers! You need to bump them up ;)

On 7/23/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jewbacca said:

Ja but it's supposed to be easily accessible with the least amount of logistics possible. So I'm genuinely planning on having my bike and running kit locked in my car, then just using that as the base of operations for transitions etc. Surf key on my person and off we go! 

Easy peasy and less kit..... I still have nightmares about all the toys from the old totalsports challenge!

easiest logistics is an out and back swim.

there's no great white sharks in false bay currently...

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

easiest logistics is an out and back swim.

there's no great white sharks in false bay currently...

This is also true... we could do it from home.

You keen?

40 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This is also true... we could do it from home.

You keen?

swim 3-5km. ride 200km+, run 50km?

not really, would have to be an epic course to get me excited.

5 hours ago, Carmichael said:

Hows the training going? 

Deferred to 2022, just too much going on at the moment with work and life. 

• 4 weeks later...