[Event] 2019 PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

Link to your Strava club you mean.

Also the route on your events seems to be the opposite way to what PPA have been saying.

It’s the route on strava, not sure how else to share. PPA said they are descending the non technical side. Therefore in this direction.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they have a pile of ambulances at the campsite...

I'm sure we will be fine...

In my experience, cyclists sense of self-preservation usually kicks in and keep them safe on dangerous road sections only to switch off mentally on the flat safe roads and cause a group crash because they ride into someone else while daydreaming. 

Take the amount of crashes on the M3 vs Chappies at the Argus for example

Only thing i'm hopping is that full road closer over bains ... but i also still believe in Santa...

From what I heard there will be road closure over Bains, let's see if PPA confirms this

Only thing i'm hopping is that full road closer over bains ... but i also still believe in Santa...

i cant see any other way to be honest...

a cycle race plus cars & trucks on those narrow sections will certainly spell disaster.

This will be my first full one tonner. Looking forward to it and just aiming to finish.

Just a question: do you approach the longer distance any different to say the 100km? I don't normally stop at water points on a 100km road ride unless it is hot. Do you find that you rather stop more frequently over the longer distance or more frequently towards the end? For the 100miler i stopped very briefly at every waterpoint.

Edit: typo

Edited by Ferro

This will be my first full one tonner. Looking forward to it and just aiming to finish.

Just a question: do you approach the longer distance any different to say the 100km? I don't normally stop at water points on a 100km road ride unless it is hot. Do you find that you rather stop more frequently over the longer distance or more frequently towards the end? For the 100miler i stopped very briefly at every waterpoint.

Bunches/groups don't stop at waterpoints, so if you plan to stick with one be ready to ride the full distance on whatever you have on you at the start. If you only ride to finish, sure, lots of people stop at waterpoints and you just latch onto the next group of riders that come past you after you leave the waterpoint. 

old route was simple ... ride very easy (z3) with the group that formed after hells hoogte (everyone splits there) then cycle and stop together at riebeek wes waterpoint.  Then split again up bothmans climb and make new groups other side 

from there you have chat with who ever you are with to figure out when to stop again as you normally then stop more often (heat/wind etc).

Guess new route will be simular .. Bains is LONG climb, big boys will be about 10-15 minutes behind the goats at the top, catch them at about riebeek if we work together,  dropped again up the bothmans hill.  Then depending on short route guys/traffic and wind, its either group ride or self defence , like 2017,  till split between 100/160km.. Then solo ride to finish (you will probably stop at each waterpoint at this point).  

Well, that normally how goes for the d-f batches :)

Main thing .. Think easy for first 100km, eat/drink often.  Then medium till 140km, eat/drink often.. then hang on till end..

Edited by Karman de Lange

I'm sure we will be fine...

In my experience, cyclists sense of self-preservation usually kicks in and keep them safe on dangerous road sections only to switch off mentally on the flat safe roads and cause a group crash because they ride into someone else while daydreaming. 

Take the amount of crashes on the M3 vs Chappies at the Argus for example

I am thinking hospital bend when everyone is still there Vs Chappies when the group is much smaller. If it was at the end, the groups would be smaller and not an issue. Now you crest with okes trying to catch up. I have seen hospital bend hero's trying to close the gap and ending up going of towards somerset west.

Will depend a lot on the weather, if its hot and windy even 3/4 bottles is too little and a stop is going to happen.

I am thinking hospital bend when everyone is still there Vs Chappies when the group is much smaller. If it was at the end, the groups would be smaller and not an issue. Now you crest with okes trying to catch up. I have seen hospital bend hero's trying to close the gap and ending up going of towards somerset west.

I hear you but Bainskloof is almost a 10km climb, far tougher than anything else we do on the PPA calender. Will take anything in the range of 20min to 40min for riders in the early alphabet soup groups to do the climb. So people will be scattered by the time they crest, I don't foresee large groups bombing down on the Worcester side even though it's relatively early in the race.