Good spot to learn jumps in Cape

willowskid

Hi All,

I have started getting some controlled air for the last few months, but when riding i will only take on table tops, drops or ramps. I still bail out of jumps that have a ramp and a landing with a gap in between. Anyone know of a good trail section or place to practice speed and landings with jumps.

I live in Cpt, but ride cpt, durbanville, stellenbosch and Somerset west frequently.

Regards,
Willowskid

Yup, G-land. It's in Stellies though. Would not reccommend the jumps in S/West - they are big. There is also a newly built pump track with some jumps in Stellies as you come into town on the R44 from S/West (on your left).

Yup, G-land. It's in Stellies though. Would not reccommend the jumps in S/West - they are big. There is also a newly built pump track with some jumps in Stellies as you come into town on the R44 from S/West (on your left).

Ah yes, I got confused with Bel Aire. 

G Land in STELLIES. 

On the way to Constantia nek from uct close to the green belts I thought I saw some jump tracks being built on the left..thought its meant for jumps but I was driving past so stand to be corrected. Could not take a proper look....beyond my skills level so didn't bother to investigate further

On the way to Constantia nek from uct close to the green belts I thought I saw some jump tracks being built on the left..thought its meant for jumps but I was driving past so stand to be corrected. Could not take a proper look....beyond my skills level so didn't bother to investigate further

Just no !!

And you may just get shot riding that "park"

Just no !!

And you may just get shot riding that "park"

You shouldn't make this kinda statement without more context?

It is on private land, was built by private individuals and is maintained by them. It is not open to the public. Riding there is trespassing unless you have permission. It is normally closed with a boom and it is pretty obvious that you are not supposed to ride there. I am not part of that group, but I fully understand and support their approach. Occasional riders and incidental mtb passers by just stuff up their hard work, damage the jumps and don't help with building or repairs.

Edit: Reading that again, I realize it may sound like I could be a dirt jumper.....ha, ha.......no, just no.......I'm too old, fragile and my cahones are all shriveled up!  :blush:  ;)  :D

Edited by DJR

The builders are quite territorial about those jumps. But that's not unique to that spot. You would be territorial too if you had spent years building at a spot. There have been rumors of violent confrontations (No guns) there but I'm yet to meet anyone who was actually subject to said violence.

The jumps are VERY VERY EXPERT ONLY. They are chained off and if a normal person attempted them they would almost certainly wake up in hospital. Not from any violence but from the massive crash they would have. 

I rode past there last weekend and chatted to the guy building. He seemed friendly and proud of his work and never threatened to shoot me. They are true works of art IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The builders are quite territorial about those jumps. But that's not unique to that spot. You would be territorial too if you had spent years building at a spot. There have been rumors of violent confrontations (No guns) there but I'm yet to meet anyone who was actually subject to said violence.

The jumps are VERY VERY EXPERT ONLY. They are chained off and if a normal person attempted them they would almost certainly wake up in hospital. Not from any violence but from the massive crash they would have. 

I rode past there last weekend and chatted to the guy building. He seemed friendly and proud of his work and never threatened to shoot me. They are true works of art IMO.

That is so true. Every time I ride past there I stop to have a squiz. Waaaaaaay above my pay-grade. 

That is so true. Every time I ride past there I stop to have a squiz. Waaaaaaay above my pay-grade. 

You know I live close to the UCT jumps and I used to ride them when they were first buit, but over the years they have grown so much that it also became very much "above my pay-grade". I still like talking about my jumping at UCT :thumbup: .......I just neglect to put a time frame to it! :whistling:

Edited by DJR

Who built/maintains the jumps next to Westlake Golf course/Boyes Drive in Lakeside?

I ride/drive past them all the time and always wonder. I would love to swap some build time for some smaller jump time

There is a very nice and small gap jump at Majik Forrest as you come down from the mast.

There are 2 fairly big gap jumps that sometimes have a cover over them.

I would advise against trying to jump this.

Just about 50m further there is a small gap jump on the right that is easy to clear.

This happened to be the same gap jump where I first learnt the skill and got the post-jump-leg-shakes sorted before progressing to Lombard's Terra gap jump.