Garmin Fenix vs Trans Baviaans

ObiWhanKenobi

So I have been riding with my Garmin Fenix 3HR for some nearly 2 years and have recently purchased a chest strap for more accurate HR data. I haven't used the navigation much, other than a local training ride with waypoints and turn by turn navigation. The battery drop seems reasonable.

But we are training for the Trans Baviaans this year, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the battery life of a Garmin Fenix watch (preferably a  Fenix 3HR) using it for navigation and HR data during the event. Since it is a long event and battery on the watch is limited. Lets say we are aiming for anything below 15 hours to be safe battery wise.

I have tried the Ultra Track mode, but I found this to be pointless, since it is not very accurate. I would rather ride without than have data that's misleading.

You won't need the navigation feature, route is super easy to follow, done it 3 times haven gotten lost yet, 

I also have a Fenix3 HR  couple years old and have used it for ironman twice - 13h30 and 12h02 and it lasted a few days after as well.  I also did comrades this year and I was worried the battery may have lost some of its capacity over time, so a week before the race I started a run activity in the morning and put on my chest hrm and then just let it run until it died - so why not do a similar test with yours for a day.  Start a ride activity as you plan you use it for the race and see how long it lasts. Then discard the activity before saving so your strava stats  dont get ruined!

Mine lasted over 14h.

Edited by lurkerza

You won't need the navigation feature, route is super easy to follow, done it 3 times haven gotten lost yet, 

Yes I'm aware, have done it twice as well, but it was before I had the fenix. Actually just interested if it will last HR and tracking wise the whole duration.

I also have a Fenix3 HR  couple years old and have used it for ironman twice - 13h30 and 12h02 and it lasted a few days after as well.  I also did comrades this year and I was worried the battery may have lost some of its capacity over time, so a week before the race I started a run activity in the morning and put on my chest hrm and then just let it run until it died - so why not do a similar test with yours for a day.  Start a ride activity as you plan you use it for the race and see how long it lasts. Then discard the activity before saving so your strava stats  dont get ruined!

Mine lasted over 14h.

Kudos on the Ironman and comarades. What a great idea. Think I'll give it a try