XT rear derailleur skipping gears.

BSG

So did that solve the problem?

How often do you change your cable inner and outers?

Yes problem solved. Everything smooth as butter after that and some fine tuning on the gears. The bike got stripped complete as I had the frame resprayed as well. It actually is the first time I've changed cables since new, 2012 [emoji85], but I'm a very careful rider and washes my bike more than I ride it.

Jip, measured with the parktool hanger measure thingy and I saw that's quite a lot. Goes to show how fragile a hanger actually is, can't remember that I bumped it against something. I'm a gravel road mtb'er 99.9999% of the time.

Hanger on ALL bikes are deigned to be "fragile". When you fall and hit the RD, the weakest point will be the hanger, which is much cheaper to repair (replace; straighten) then repairing or replacing the RD would be.

Sooo ... be thankful for that design.  :whistling:

Glad you sorted. Lessons learnt. Keep that in mind. Most of us have adjusted cable tension till we blue in the face ... before we go ... Hanger maybe?

I think it will be wise to get a second hanger and keep it in my saddle bag.

I change cables about twice a year on the MTB. Aliexpress sell cheap hangers. start at around 2 dollars each. I try to buy a few spare for each bike I have. It takes two months to arrive, so you have to buy them well in advance.

I think it will be wise to get a second hanger and keep it in my saddle bag.

Believe me I've crashed plenty times and apart from not being able to select all gears, you invariably have enough to get home and then sort out the problem. So ... buy  a spare but it's fine to keep it in the garage.  :whistling: