Cheap vs expensive MTB hubs

Zorro5614

Would like to hear your guys feeling about hubs for nice carbon rims

Would you choose some reliable generic hubs like Chosen or Novatec? More middle ground like Hope Pro 4? More expensive like DT Swiss 240? Or crazy expensive like Chris King?

How many Points of engagement is enough? 18, 36, 54, 90 or the crazy 690 of the new I9 Hydra hubs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently ordered Chinese Carbon Rims on DT Swiss 240s with an upgrade to 54 engagement points from Far Sport. I couldn’t be happier having gone for the high-end choice given that the overall cost was still good value (difference of R3500 between the Novatec hubs and the upgraded 240s). Hubs feel light and sound great and will likely be used way beyond the life of the wheels.

What's your budget and how important is prettiness?

Not to concerned about looks.  DT Swiss 240S will be right on my limit

Also looking at Industry 9 101 Classic hubs

But are these really going to make a significant difference?  Will this high POE only making a difference when your near standstill  on a technical climb? 

Hope hubs are great, I had a set of industry 9 hub's which I loved the sound of.

I think on the more expensive hubs it's more about the weight, like the dt240, I had a set of dt350 and the only difference was the weight.

Hope's are low maintenance, good engagement, good rolling and have never heard of any one complain about them.

I would rather spend more on the rim's, spokes and nippels than a extremely expensive hub.

Not to concerned about looks.  DT Swiss 240S will be right on my limit

Also looking at Industry 9 101 Classic hubs

But are these really going to make a significant difference?  Will this high POE only making a difference when your near standstill  on a technical climb? 

I fitted the 54T POE and what a waste of money for a nice sound. The 36T is effective enough lasts longer. I don't get the whole more POE is better thing. 

The big difference between the cheaper hubs and the DT and Chris King is weight. Hope is in the middle and hence the mid price point. In terms of bearing quality the Chris Kings are untouchable. THEY WILL OUTLAST SEVERAL BIKES. DT Swiss bog standard with 36T is a great option and will last years. I have one thats  over 10 years old.

So Novatec = heavier build

hope = midweight build

DT swiss 240s = lightweight build

Too bad American Classic folded, I have a set of their mtb hubs and they are awesome. As light as 240s and such a clever free hub design that is bombproof.

It's a lot of money for DT Swiss 240S to save maybe 100grams

Been riding these generic hubs now for 6 months (3 pawl, 4 sealed bearings) and no real issues so far.  Maybe I just looking for any performance gain to cover up how unfit I am

Mainly riding XC so hubs "upgrade" may be a waste of money?

Chris King on both my bikes.

They wear in, not out.

Quality is out of this world and fairly easy to maintain yourself.

They are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime!

Bearings, reliability and it's not so much POE but angle of engagement.

I'm with DnD on the ratchet upgrade. 36-54 is a waste of money.

Chris King aren't light, but their bearings are the best in the business without dispute. If you service them and clean and lube the ring engagement they will last forever.

DT freehubs are made of cheese. This is probably my only 'complaint' but I got around it by pinning the cassette.

I think there used to be a far bigger gap between 'good' and 'cheap' hubs, but these days that gap seems to be closing considerably.

I built a set of 650b wheels onto a Lyne hub for my gravel bike and it is fantastic.

Hope are designed for the UK. They are largely fit and forget products, which IMHO is what you want. I have 2 x sets of hope, 1 x set of CK and 1 x set of DT swiss all in operation and I cannot fault any of them.

All easy to take apart and service/clean, all reliable and I couldn't give a hoot about the sound, so I'm probably not helping.

waffle waffle... sorry

It greatly depends on what you are doing on the rest of your bike. If you are trying to save a kg by saving 100g here and there etc, then go lightweight. You will not make your bike light by only saving on one item eg wheels - albeit a great place to start.

Hope are designed for the UK. They are largely fit and forget products, which IMHO is what you want. I have 2 x sets of hope, 1 x set of CK and 1 x set of DT swiss all in operation and I cannot fault any of them.

Agree, and when the time comes to remember about them again like a service or when marketers dream up another new standard....you know you will be sorted without having to buy whole new hubs.

Can you feel a difference between all these hubs when riding

Ok so more expensive hubs are lighter, easier to service and more durable

But is there a performance gain?  Less friction in ratchet system resulting in better rolling resistance?  Less degree of engagement?

In my opinion DT Swiss 350 with 36t is good middle ground.  

I could definitely feel difference between 18 and 54t, but 36t is ok. 

Hope is also great, but prefer the quieter DT Swiss hubs. 

I've had basically only have Hope and DT Swiss on my bikes over the last 10 years, and they just keep on going, and easy to get spares for both in SA. 

If you ride a lot, I'd go for Hope or DT Swiss 350 (36t) for about R5k. I wont go cheaper, and dont think you get more noticeable performance by going more expensive (DT Swiss 240s, Chris King, I9 etc)

It's a lot of money for DT Swiss 240S to save maybe 100grams

Been riding these generic hubs now for 6 months (3 pawl, 4 sealed bearings) and no real issues so far.  Maybe I just looking for any performance gain to cover up how unfit I am

Mainly riding XC so hubs "upgrade" may be a waste of money?

bearings makes a big difference. I have a set of Lyne amp wheels which was OK from the start, but recently replaced the bearings as they were sh#tty and wow what a difference. My brother rides 1 of my bikes with Hope hub's and on the down he used to just free away from me. Now after I replaced the bearings I have to stay on the brakes or pass him.

Archived