2019 Cannondale scalpel, the Land Rover of the bike world?

Chrisjvv

Howzit bikehub. First time poster.

First off, I don't know if this post is a rant or me just venting. Maybe I just need some advise?

I like Cannondale. I have a few Cannondale bikes, a Cannondale t-shirt and I might even name my new worshond ocho. I'm no pro but this new Scalpel is the best mountain bike I have ever ridden. Its fast, comfy and sexy as hell. I even look back over my shoulder every time i walk away..............BUT just like my Land Rover there is always something wrong with the thing. In the first three months it has been back to the shop five or six times. The crank has loosened itself on three times already giving it 10mm side play. The bottom bracket bearings has already been replaced. During race to the sun the lefty ocho popped a seal relieving itself of some oil. Fixed under warranty but now the stanchion has a couple of very light scratches and the anodizing has faded. 

Another issue I have is the gx eagle. The shifting is plain *** and seems like it just can't be indexed to perfection. I have been assured by the bike shop mechanic that it is set the best it can be set, but its still clicking as Murphy would have it in the 3 cogs I use the most. First world problems I know but on every ride now between the click click click from the derailleur and the sffffffffffffffffff noise from the front hub I feel kinda cheated. I mean for the kind of money you pay, should it not be perfect or do I have a bad case of buyers remorse?  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey 1st time poster.  welcome to the hub.

I'll only comment on the things I've also had issue with.  Cannondale's stock bottom brackets are rubbish.  It didn't take long for me to get it replaced, I could not stand the sound coming from it.

The issue with your clicking gears and your crank's play could be connected.  That said, I've had my gear cable and housing replaced every six months or so as 12 speed is very finicky.  It's actually the housing that interferes with smooth shifting.  (I have xx1 eagle)

All that said, it sounds like you should get a replacement bike from your LBS, these problems are just too much to have within the first three months.

I was very keen to put that Ocho fork on my 2017 Scalpel, but now that I read this I might wait it out and see if more people have issues or whether you have been really unlucky.

I love my Scalpel.  It does the whole XXC thing really well.

If your LBS me mechanic says that's the best he can do then go find a proper mechanic. Eagle 12 speed work like butter once it's set up and dialed in. Can't comment on your other failures, but like in other posts, with so many problems with a new bike i be taking it back and demanding a full replacement or my money back

I was very keen to put that Ocho fork on my 2017 Scalpel, but now that I read this I might wait it out and see if more people have issues or whether you have been really unlucky.

I love my Scalpel.  It does the whole XXC thing really well.

I have the lefty pbr 90 on my hard tail. Up to now with about 14000km on, it has been reliable as an anvil and smooth as silk. Riding on even the smoothest of gravel you can see the lefty working the whole time soaking up the bumps giving you a "Cadellac smooth" ride. The ocho does not give me that same feel and doesn't feel as smooth. In the ocho's defense it is a bit more tunable so I'm probably to dof to get it tuned in correctly for that "lefty smooth zen" I'm used to. My ocho also has an annoying sound hitting bumps that my older lefty does not do. It makes a tshhhh sound every time it compresses.

I thought I was just unlucky with mine but it seems there is a problem with some parts and the assembly. https://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/ocho-leaks-knocks-1101309.html

I agree the scalpel does the whole xxc thing really well, even leaning against the wall its super fast.

If your LBS me mechanic says that's the best he can do then go find a proper mechanic. Eagle 12 speed work like butter once it's set up and dialed in. Can't comment on your other failures, but like in other posts, with so many problems with a new bike i be taking it back and demanding a full replacement or my money back

When I took the bike back to get the ocho leak sorted out I was hinting at the fact to get a new replacement bike. What does the cpa say? Do I have protection? Can I, and will it be fair of me to demand another new replacement bike?

When I took the bike back to get the ocho leak sorted out I was hinting at the fact to get a new replacement bike. What does the cpa say? Do I have protection? Can I, and will it be fair of me to demand another new replacement bike?

Yes under CPA you are protected.

And dont compare it to a Land Rover, if you buy a new Land Rover you wont get such *** service

My first thoughts were you need a new mechanic.

Firstly, a crank doesn't "loosen itself", but a crank that hasn't properly been fitted comes loose. Secondly, if the Ocho was fixed under warranty should they not be sorting out the entire issue relating to the failure under warranty, .i.e. any subsequent damage like the scratch on the stanchion? Not a CPA related comment but to me that just makes sense.

Lastly, my GX runs like a well oiled machine so I would refer you back to my very first line in this post. That being said, I have a friend who has had issues with his GX since getting his new Pyga and he was told that there is a manufacturing fault on some of the cassettes. Hearsay though, can't confirm but perhaps something to explore.