GT Timberline 1.0

Yazpeter

Hi Hubsters!

I recently picked up a GT timberline 1.0 ( white with black decals ) for a bargain "2k" the bike is in really good condition might need better wheels and front shock but for now im good to ride.

I have few questions for the sage advisers

1. How the current bottom bracket which is cartridge sealed? be replaced with something more modern? and if so what you guys recommend?

2. The current shock is the standard SR Suntour XCT, 80mm travel. Can i upgrade to 100mm/120mm easily ?

3. Would you guys recommending a 1 x setup on this bike? its currently 3x8

Novice questions from a novice rider  :mellow: 

thanks in advance guys

Hi. Welcome to the Hub

Personally, I would not upgrade the bike (maybe the crank, but not the shock).

To me the limiting factor is the frame, unless you plan on replacing that later as well.

BUT....

If you find second hand parts for good prices as well, build it up.

My previous mtb was a 10 year project - where I gradually upgraded parts (with new  and second hand) and in the end the frame.

Hi. Welcome to the Hub

Personally, I would not upgrade the bike (maybe the crank, but not the shock).

To me the limiting factor is the frame, unless you plan on replacing that later as well.

BUT....

If you find second hand parts for good prices as well, build it up.

My previous mtb was a 10 year project - where I gradually upgraded parts (with new  and second hand) and in the end the frame.

The plan was to build the HT into something capable of most routes in CAPE TOWN, and in the meantime save for a dual suspension bike, i completed my first MTB experience on Saturday. The bike well but the shock would sometimes bottom out... i guess if i could get a cheap/second 100/120mm shock that would help a lot. And i'm definitely going to change the bottom bracket to something more modern... the sealed cartridge is a bit outdated

I bought a Trek 4300 back in 2011 new from Cycle Lab for something like R4999.00 or something ridiculous like. It came with the following parts: 

•  3 x 8 Acera groupset
  • Tektro brakes
  • Bontrager rims with XR2 tires
  • Suntour fork

After about 6 months of riding it I did the following to it:

• 3 x 9 SLX groupset with SLX brakes as well
  • Recon shock
  • Mavic wheels with Maxiss tires

Then after about 5000-7000km I changed it to a Single Speed

After two years I then changed it to a 3 x 9 XO SRAM groupset 

The front shifter then broke so I took it off and made it a 1x9

I then changed it to a 2x10 and changed the SLX brakes for XT's

I then made it a 1x10 with the XT brakes still on it

After close to 33 000 km this bike now sits on the indoor trainer on a permanent basis. My point: If you like the frame and you like to tinker with the bike the you can do what ever you see fit. Because you did not spend a hell of a lot obtaining it you can upgrade the bike without feeling too guilty for spending 20-30k on it and you can get the satisfaction of reducing the weight with better parts 

I bought a Trek 4300 back in 2011 new from Cycle Lab for something like R4999.00 or something ridiculous like. It came with the following parts: 

•  3 x 8 Acera groupset
  • Tektro brakes
  • Bontrager rims with XR2 tires
  • Suntour fork

After about 6 months of riding it I did the following to it:

• 3 x 9 SLX groupset with SLX brakes as well
  • Recon shock
  • Mavic wheels with Maxiss tires

Then after about 5000-7000km I changed it to a Single Speed

After two years I then changed it to a 3 x 9 XO SRAM groupset 

The front shifter then broke so I took it off and made it a 1x9

I then changed it to a 2x10 and changed the SLX brakes for XT's

I then made it a 1x10 with the XT brakes still on it

After close to 33 000 km this bike now sits on the indoor trainer on a permanent basis. My point: If you like the frame and you like to tinker with the bike the you can do what ever you see fit. Because you did not spend a hell of a lot obtaining it you can upgrade the bike without feeling too guilty for spending 20-30k on it and you can get the satisfaction of reducing the weight with better parts 

I share the same thought process, i wanna enjoy this bike until i get a new one (saving towards a dual suspension), i wanna learn how to fix and change things on this 'test bike'  and i know i'll have to spend but it all for learning and fun i suppose.

That's the way to go, extra skills in the workshop comes in very handy on the trails and saves lots of time and money. 

All the best in your quest and feel free to send me a pm if you need any advice on the technical side or so. But ya, lots of guys on here that has bucket loads of experience and skills, soak it up  :thumbup:

I share the same thought process, i wanna enjoy this bike until i get a new one (saving towards a dual suspension), i wanna learn how to fix and change things on this 'test bike'  and i know i'll have to spend but it all for learning and fun i suppose.

I also started off riding an older GT Avalanche with similar specs to yours, probably also worth around R 2k. I enjoyed riding the bike, and also tinkered with the components from time to time to fix them myself when required. It really got me into mountain biking, and after a couple of events, where it was great fun and good motivation to beat cyclists on bikes worth upwards of 20 times more than mine, I considered upgrading some of same components you mention (groupset, fork, wheels)

However, I realised that these upgrades would quickly add up, and end up costing more than the bike is worth. Overcapitalising becomes an issue, as it will essentially remain an entry level bike, regardless of the components you put on it. I also found that when I started pushing longer distances (upwards of 60km) the geometry and sheer weight of the bike became a limiting factor in my progression, which component upgrades could not reasonably compensate for.

At some stage I borrowed a family member's decently specced bike for a ride, and it was like seeing in colour for the first time. I only then fully realised that component upgrades would never provide the kind of improvements I was hoping for.

So, instead of upgrading components, and satisfying my urge for instant gratification, I saved the upgrade money and continued saving for a few months, while still riding the Avalanche as hard as I could, before buying a  very well specced second hand carbon hardtail, which I love riding.

Based on my experience, my advice is to be wary of overcapitalising, and rather riding the bike you have without spending money on upgrading components for minor gains. Rather use that money to save up to buy the bike which you really want.

I also started off riding an older GT Avalanche with similar specs to yours, probably also worth around R 2k. I enjoyed riding the bike, and also tinkered with the components from time to time to fix them myself when required. It really got me into mountain biking, and after a couple of events, where it was great fun and good motivation to beat cyclists on bikes worth upwards of 20 times more than mine, I considered upgrading some of same components you mention (groupset, fork, wheels)

However, I realised that these upgrades would quickly add up, and end up costing more than the bike is worth. Overcapitalising becomes an issue, as it will essentially remain an entry level bike, regardless of the components you put on it. I also found that when I started pushing longer distances (upwards of 60km) the geometry and sheer weight of the bike became a limiting factor in my progression, which component upgrades could not reasonably compensate for.

At some stage I borrowed a family member's decently specced bike for a ride, and it was like seeing in colour for the first time. I only then fully realised that component upgrades would never provide the kind of improvements I was hoping for.

So, instead of upgrading components, and satisfying my urge for instant gratification, I saved the upgrade money and continued saving for a few months, while still riding the Avalanche as hard as I could, before buying a  very well specced second hand carbon hardtail, which I love riding.

Based on my experience, my advice is to be wary of overcapitalising, and rather riding the bike you have without spending money on upgrading components for minor gains. Rather use that money to save up to buy the bike which you really want.

Before getting this cheapie* i was unfortunate to test drive a carbon HT and A dual susp specialize, obviously complete different to each other, each with their own strengths. All i really wanted for this bike was a new shock ( donation from a friend hopefully LOL ) and tyres... tubeless as the current ones have sludge. and before my upgrade one day to make it a 1 x conversion. 

I rode two GT bikes, both Zaskar - one 26er alu and the other a 29er carbon and yes, a proper specced bike makes the ride better but, there's overcapitalizing for the purpose of trying to sell it again and re-coup some of the money spent but then there's spending money to make the ride more enjoyable. 

If you're not too phased about selling the bike & recovering your money then you can have a lot of fun with it. I mean my entry level bike is 8 years old and I ride it more than my full dual sus carbon (on the smart trainer).

Remember that lots of the items on a bike does not hold its value very well, so buying upgrade parts second hand will not cost you an arm and a leg

GT's are very aggressive (geometry) and they can hold their own with the big boys, I loved mine, if it wasn't for the herniated disc I may still have been riding a HT.