Help me pick a bike

Croglet

My much loved, quite old and very uninsured  :( 2012 Fuji got stolen a while back, it's time to get a new one and any advice anyone is willing to offer up would be helpful.
My budget is quite tight but there seem to be some fairly good deals on some surplus 2018 stock. Think I'm leaning toward a Scott since I'm a fan of their TwinLoc feature. 
I'm no racing snake but do a couple of races every year, was riding maybe 8hrs a week before my bike got taken, mostly just XC, no crazy DH stuff.

This is what's caught my eye so far...

There's a 2018 Spark 940 for 30k
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Spark-940,22918#frame_specs_22918

And for 5k more a 2018 Spark 900 RC Comp. 
https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Spark-RC-900-Comp,22903#frame_specs_22903

My previous bike had the old 3x10 setup. Is there any reason that I might not want a 1x12? 
I have heard that the RC's shorter suspension travel makes them more geared towards racing, but I've also heard that it really doesn't make any difference unless you're a heavy guy. I'm probably just over 70kg. 

The 940 is 5k cheaper, has a dropper, which I really liked on my old bike, the RC doesn't.  :( It's also a bit heavier and it has Shimano MT500 brakes which I've never heard of tbh, compared to the RC's Sram Level TL.
Not too sure what the difference is between the rest of specs, shocks, rims, hubs etc. 

Either of these any good? Any other suggestions?

I won't buy a bike off that site.I never heard of that site before. Friend of mine baught a Scott bike for 30k from a site like that and got a fake Rolex watch in return. Deal is a bit too good to be true.

^ vitalmtb is not a shop...more like another type of Bikehub, as in bike check/spec/forum/news website linking to actual (overseas) shops with the products.

just saying

edit: it's a good site for what the OP used it for...cross checking/comparing product specs.

OP: i'm sure the Scott bandwagon will chime in soon but those both look like very nice bikes and are both locally available and quite popular too. So i'm sure you can't go wrong with either depending on your budget.

Edited by morneS555

Go for the Spark. The extra travel, dropper post etc makes it a much more capable and versatile bike

If not mistaken the frame is the same on both just the forks differ in travel and size.

I would go with the 940 with the dropper and Fox 34.

That 32 flexcast is not for me. The older Fox 32 was so much stiffer than the stepcast and only 40g heavier.

Both lekker bikes.

There's a 2018 Spark 940 .....

YES !!!

I LOVE my Spark 940 !!  :clap:

In how much of a hurry are you ?

The 2020 models are being released already .... By August you can pick up 2019 models for a steel, as they try to move stock to make way for the 2020 colour scheme ....

Just a thought - for ME the dual lockout of the SPARK was the deal maker !  If you are not worried about this, then also have a good look at the Momsen range ....

EDIT - agree with the posts above about the pricing on that website ... for new bikes you can get a very good feel for the current pricing by looking on the BikeAddict website.  Worth noting the 2018 940 sold for R36k last month ....

Edited by ChrisF

940. The mt500 brakes are deores without the deore branding. Perfectly adequate and exactly the same as SLX just a bit heavier.

I'd only suggest the RC if you're racing and competing at the pointy end. It's a race bike through and through, and you will notice the difference easily.

Always get the 34 over the 32 stepcast. 940 is a good bike.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

The 2020 models are being released already .... By August you can pick up 2019 models for a steel, as they try to move stock to make way for the 2020 colour scheme ....

Either option would be good. The 2019 model has better brakes and tyres, whilst the 2018 model has a better shifter, chain and fork. I'd go for the 2018 model (as a plus it has the Scott Factory Racing lookalike paint scheme!)

Either option would be good. The 2019 model has better brakes and tyres, whilst the 2018 model has a better shifter, chain and fork. I'd go for the 2018 model (as a plus it has the Scott Factory Racing lookalike paint scheme!)

yep. If the bike is the same, go for the one with the better suspension components. 

Very helpful, thanks  :thumbup:  Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. 

What are the 1x12 setups like? I guess there's no front derailleur to maintain. And no front shifter so you can have easy access to the TwinLoc and a dropper controls but is there a lot more chain, chain ring, cassette wear and tear? 
Do you find yourself running out of gears?    

Edited by Croglet

On a long smooth downhill you will spin out around 40km/h. If that is an issue, a bigger chainring can help somewhat. Going up the 32/50 Eagle works well. If you need more spin, a smaller chainring will help. As for wear and tear, my chain, sprockets and cassette haven't worn at all in 500km odd, but you may experience otherwise

Edited by the_bob

I won't buy a bike off that site.I never heard of that site before. Friend of mine baught a Scott bike for 30k from a site like that and got a fake Rolex watch in return. Deal is a bit too good to be true.

Lol, if vitalMtb isn't the most popular mtb website on earth, It's almost certainly in the top 5. 

To the OP. I can only tell you what I'd do in your shoes, which is to buy the slightly cheaper bike with the dropper and more travel. You'll just have more fun on it and, with time, can upgrade to more fancy brakes (etc) if you want. If you want to race and want higher end components straight off the bat, then go with the RC though. 

Very helpful, thanks  :thumbup:  Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. 

What are the 1x12 setups like? I guess there's no front derailleur to maintain. And no front shifter so you can have easy access to the TwinLoc and a dropper controls but is there a lot more chain, chain ring, cassette wear and tear? 

Do you find yourself running out of gears?    

1x12 gives you about 90 to 95% of the range of 2x systems ....

You need to choose the front ring so that this paired with the 50 at the back gives you enough climbing ratio.  32 and 34 are typical options.  The 2018 SPARK 940 came with a 32.  With this you can climb a STEEP hill !! And yes, 40km/h has you spinning away frantically .... not an issue on the trails, but a slight draw back if you are doing longer tar sections to your nearest trail.

Certainly the range is wide enough that this has taken over big market share ....

On a long smooth downhill you will spin out around 40km/h. If that is an issue, a bigger chainring can help somewhat. Going up the 32/50 Eagle works well. If you need more spin, a smaller chainring will help. As for wear and tear, my chain, sprockets and cassette haven't worn at all in 500km odd, but you may experience otherwise

Come on Bob, 40km/h with a 32 x 10 combo is only 90rpm........

• 5 months later...

Apologies for dredging this post up from the dark ages but I thought it may be helpful for anyone who might be looking at the same bikes. 
It took a while but I ended up going for a 2019 Scott Spark 940. Haven't ridden it too hard yet, still getting back into it after a few months break but so far it seems to be a winner and I have zero complaints.  :thumbup: 
Everything is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Shocks, TwinLoc, Sram 1x12, dropper etc. are all awesome! 

Thanks for all the advice  :)