Dual suspension bikes - shock maintenance

Gazzap

Hi,

I am looking for a dual suspension bike, a lot of what is on the site are older than 5 years.

How sure am I that the shocks (suspension) is decent and don't need to be replaced once i buy.

Is there a way to know or test the shocks?

How long would a shock actually last before needing to be replaced?

I just inspected a full suspension bike for some one wants to buy it

Fork -

Be sure it isn't leaking oil and the stanchions are not scratched worn or damaged. Make sure it holds air pressure and the lock out / rebounds are working properly. Pull the front brake and rock it back and forward make sure there is no knocking sound or play between the stanchions and the lowers.

Shock is the same procedure as the fork, but lift the bike by the seatpost and tap the rear tyre on the ground, make sure there is no knocking sound as this can be wear on the pivot bearings where the shock mounts.

Other than that you never know when buying used, if the seller says he just had it serviced ask for the receipt to check what was done, a normal service would be seal kits and oil.

How long will it last before replacing ? it will last forever if you do the services intervals from the start. 

I ride FOX and service my own suspension every 100 ride hrs

I just inspected a full suspension bike for some one wants to buy it

Fork -

Be sure it isn't leaking oil and the stanchions are not scratched worn or damaged. Make sure it holds air pressure and the lock out / rebounds are working properly. Pull the front brake and rock it back and forward make sure there is no knocking sound or play between the stanchions and the lowers.

Shock is the same procedure as the fork, but lift the bike by the seatpost and tap the rear tyre on the ground, make sure there is no knocking sound as this can be wear on the pivot bearings where the shock mounts.

Other than that you never know when buying used, if the seller says he just had it serviced ask for the receipt to check what was done, a normal service would be seal kits and oil.

How long will it last before replacing ? it will last forever if you do the services intervals from the start. 

I ride FOX and service my own suspension every 100 ride hrs

The odd scratched stanchion from an impact/etc means absolutely nothing in terms durability or performance. Especially if you run your finger over it and can feel very little. Trail bikes in articular will often have these. Remember these are not road bikes and people fall. Scratches in general don't mean the bike was poorly cared for so keep that in mind too.

However something you should be very aware of is what looks like wear from around the wiper seals where the stanchions enter the lowers of the fork.

I was fortunate enough to buy a used dual sus and both fork and shock is in great condition. However, I would totally just pay the money to have a bike shop strip them both, inspect, and then buy bike should they be in good nick. The money at risk is much smaller than a bike that's suspension is toast. Cause if the suspension hasn't been looked after, nothing has.