Slx or Sunrace 11-46 11sp cassette?

Ruru

Thanks all. I ordered the SLX cassette. Running KMC chain. Could get it for R250 cheaper than Sunrace.

I already changed from 32t to 30t slx chainring, but I’m still battling a bit on long steep gravel/jeep track climbs with 1x11 29er compared to 27 with 2x10. I like to ride tough hills.

Will post feedback.

You made the wrong choice, man. That gap between the 37 and 46 really is disastrous.

But - I hope it works out for you.

Once again I'm disagreeing with you. I find that when I'm climbing in gear two (37) you are going so slow that the jump isn't that pronounced.

It may seem disastrous when you suffer from Analysis Paralysis, but in the real world, meh, it's fine.

Once again I'm disagreeing with you. I find that when I'm climbing in gear two (37) you are going so slow that the jump isn't that pronounced.

It may seem disastrous when you suffer from Analysis Paralysis, but in the real world, meh, it's fine.

i agree with this...when i tested it out in the street after installing on the wife's bike it didn't feel like that big of a jump since you are already at a relatively high cadence..crawling along. and in a real world scenario the 46 is literally a bailout gear imo so yuo'll be grabbing a fist full of shifts from mid cassette to get to it ASAP anyway lol.

if you started at the bottom of the hill with the 46T you must re-evaluate your life choices...

You made the wrong choice, man. That gap between the 37 and 46 really is disastrous.

But - I hope it works out for you.

Thanks. I hope it works out to. I had it from a friend that they couldn’t really notice the difference when going from Shimano XT 11-46 to Sunrace 11-46.

Also hope it works out ????

Fair enough, Flippie. I found that I was searching for a middle ground due to the gap being so pronounced. The 37 wasa tad too tall, but the 46 was too small. Most of the guys I know who have made the jump to the Sunrace cassette have agreed that it's far better, but that may be a bit of an echo chamber. :P

Concur with Cappie. The Sunrace does feel better for me too, the jump is not as pronounced/noticeable. The rest of the ratios also works better for me.

But then, I live in the upper range of the cassette when climbing, I paid for those ratios, therefore I use them.  :whistling:

Not going to grind my ass off on a climb, just to impress other guys with my leg strength, use the ratios to your advantage. :ph34r:

Fair enough, Flippie. I found that I was searching for a middle ground due to the gap being so pronounced. The 37 wasa tad too tall, but the 46 was too small. Most of the guys I know who have made the jump to the Sunrace cassette have agreed that it's far better, but that may be a bit of an echo chamber. :P

I get what you mean by the too short/tall conundrum. I've experienced it once on the 1x10 when gravel grinding in the smaller gears, so I gritted my teeth and sped up a bit, but that counts as masochistic pleasure.

Edit : sidenote. the 11spd SLX Cassette is way better constructed than both 10spd sunrace cassettes I have.

I've been on the xt 46 dinner plate jump and now on the 46 sunrace. For Tygerberg trails with gradual climbs and the occasional mast (that I hardly do anyways) the xt was very nice. Granny to grind. Usable cadence on almost all flat less than 10percent gradients. The one place I did find the sunrace to shine a bit more was on tm rides. Where the gradient is consistently... Nasty. There it helps to be able to choose your suffergear with small gaps. The 46 was fine but I often wanted something juuuuuusssttt a bit more on some parts. Sunrace it wil be for me from now on. But that xt shifted so quietly it's insane.

The answer really is Shimano's 12 speed cassette that's super tight between the 10 to 46

.... I feel that had to be said

The answer really is Shimano's 12 speed cassette that's super tight between the 10 to 46

.... I feel that had to be said

Thats like saying “full english breakfast” when someone aks if you want coffee or tea.

Thats like saying “full english breakfast” when someone aks if you want coffee or tea.

Who still drinks tea?

Archived