Giant Anthem Squeak Sound

Motard660

I have a 2015 Anthem Advance that got a irritating squeaking sound. It is only when you pedal and only when your right foot is close to the bottom while pedaling. Only that specific spot, does not matter how easy or hard you pedal, you can year this squeak sound.

When standing on the pedals and bounce with my weight on the bike, there is no sound at all. That made me think that the suspension bearings is still alright.

I checked the following knowing that sound travel quite a bit trough the frame:

• Seat Post
  • Headset bearings
  • Loosen Stem and slightly grease it
  • Loosen Seat and slightly grease it
  • Check all the skewer's front and back, slightly crease them as well

The only thing really left is the Bottom Bracket. I did however took the Crank off and the bearing was still 100%.

Did anybody experienced something similar and could maybe give advise where to look.

My shoes squeak on the pedals sometimes.

i thought of that as well and moved my feet around while peddling, still there!

Have you tried riding un"cleated" ? If it is still there, have you checked out your cleats?

Hold the bike by the seatpost with one hand and on top of the rear wheel with other. Now push and pull (and alternate) emminating twisting of the frame while pedaling. Alternatively, lean the bike over and stand lightly on the BB or crank. If it squeeks, it is the frame bearings or pivots. Remember seatpost, pedals, headset. More infrequently, think of derailleur hander and derailleur itself, chainring bolts cable housings in frame, rear hub...

Not to be alarmist or anything, but it is a Giant Anthem frame and they are known to crack.

I had 3 and loved them all, especially when they were upgraded in their warranty replacement.

There were 2 cracks that I didn't notice, and one that caused a squeak that I couldn't trace to any moving part when I rode. Eventually the crack (at the usual spot) got big enough to see.

Have a buddy with this issue and it came from the most unusual place. After replacing all bearings and bushings. It was the derailleur hanger which made the creaking noise. Take the hanger of, give it a good clean, light grease and Bob's your uncle.

Mine does the same, its my seatpost, if i take it out and clean then its fine for a couple of rides untill dust gets in there as well.

I went through a whole exercise where i replaced all pivot bearings and even got a very expensive bottom bracket with o-rings to eliminate noise and in the end it was my seatpost.

^ this, had a tick/squeak ONLY while pedaling...and was convinced it was the fricken PF30 bb (although it is one of those nicer Praxis conversion ones). so wanting to first try the "cheaper options" i went about googling a bit .

I took the seatpost out and gave it a clean and slight grease, took the saddle off and greased the rails slightly where they go in the clamp.. also squirted some q20 where the rails entered the plastic part of the saddle. all my squeaks have disappeared so between those 3 things...it was one of them lol.

Dry joints will manifest in a squeak too it seams. Also, carbon paste in seatpost (to aid with friction/clamp force) has also caused squeaks for me in the past...so now I just don't use it.

Edited by morneS555

Most importantly... keep us updated and let us know when you find the offending part!

It's called the Giant Maestro mystery musical, they all get them eventually. Get an ipod.

Edited by Plentipotential