MIPS.

Yazpeter

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening hubsters.

Im in the process of purchasing my first helmet but was told to consider MIPS ? ANYONE tried and tested the MIPS technology? It's obviously a bit more pricey and Im only doing beginner trails so I doubt there'll be drops and rough terrain. Should I consider MIPS as a beginner ?

Its hard to have tried and tested MIPS and talk about the experience....

Does being able to walk and talk count?

In independent testing MIPS has proven to offer several benefits over a conventional helmet.

So I'd be in the camp that says buy the best MIPS equipped helmet you can afford. It's cheap life insurance

MIPS is becoming more and more common (with most brands) even on sub-R1000 helmets.

So buy the best helmet you can afford as suggested before, and if similarly priced, why not give MIPS a try.

i'm looking to get this helmet.. https://www.pinned.co.za/leatt-dbx-2.0-helmet-special.html it doesn't mention MIPS in the description. Any hubster reviews on this model?

I have the same helmet, but can't comment on crash protection. It kind of sits between a xc helmet and a trail helmet wrt to coverage. Nice and light with good ventilation. A decent helmet for the price (especially at those specials that pinned has)

It doesn't have MIPS, but Leatt's own version with the little blue turbines which helps with rotational forces.

Does paying more ZAR for a helmet make it more safe? These tests by Virginia Tech say price does not equal safety:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Some $75 helmets tested safer than $185 Kask models, and just as safe as some $300 helmets.

Re mips and wavecell, these improve test results on test dummies. There are counter arguments that human hair performs the same function, I cant say if there is merrit to that or not.

Edited by Christie

Buy the helmet that suits your pocket, Check out the Giro Fixture Mips really affordable, comfy and vents well.

I see the Fixture is one-size-fits-all...

How well does it fit smaller heads..?

Any feedback?

Ek het laasweek met 'n wedren my *#* afgeval.  Skroewe in gewrig en my knie, elmboog en skouer seer.

Met die val nogal 'n slag gehoor op valhelm.  Terug by die huis na dokters ens, sien ek my valhelm is van voor na agter amper orals af/gekraak.

Natuurlik heel ongelukkig want die ding was vrek duur.

Tog geen kopseer of merk of enigiets aan my kop nie.  Die lyf heel ander storie.

So die vraag - was die valhelm so goed of was ek gelukkig.?

Specialized S-Works Prevail II (MIPS)

Does paying more ZAR for a helmet make it more safe?

Probably not. It normally just gets you additional features having nothing to do with safety: better ventilation, lighter weight etc.

@seven , i have the same concern with the one size fits all helmets. My understanding is that after a while the helmet will mold to your head size for a snug fit? Don't know how true that is ? 

Does paying more ZAR for a helmet make it more safe? These tests by Virginia Tech say price does not equal safety:

Some $75 helmets tested safer than $185 Kask models, and just as safe as some $300 helmets.

Re mips and wavecell, these improve test results on test dummies. There are counter arguments that human hair performs the same function, I cant say if there is merrit to that or not.

My hair doesn't seem particularly fond of sticking to my head, I'm not sure I want to trust it to save my neck 

I see the Fixture is one-size-fits-all...

How well does it fit smaller heads..?

Any feedback?

Its good I was also weary of a uni-size but actually fits smaller heads well our spare helmet here  is a Fixture. 

You can argue for days about price.

Normally a lower end helmet will have less creature comfort features for example the strapping on a lower model might not have anti-bacterial properties vs the higher premium on a top spec helmet, Gopro mounting brackets, sunglass rubber holders, adjustable visors you can go on and on.

Regarding the safety, I know Giro/Bell and Lazer have their own test facilities with rolling road and impact testing. So those brands might be the safer option.

I'm not a gambling man at all but I'm riding Mips where possible, My hair gel might stick :) 

Ek het laasweek met 'n wedren my *#* afgeval.  Skroewe in gewrig en my knie, elmboog en skouer seer.

Met die val nogal 'n slag gehoor op valhelm.  Terug by die huis na dokters ens, sien ek my valhelm is van voor na agter amper orals af/gekraak.

Natuurlik heel ongelukkig want die ding was vrek duur.

Tog geen kopseer of merk of enigiets aan my kop nie.  Die lyf heel ander storie.

So die vraag - was die valhelm so goed of was ek gelukkig.?

Specialized S-Works Prevail II (MIPS)

hi Wic2,

Bly om te hoor jy is "soortvan" okay na jou val. Ek het 'n soortgelyke val gehad 'n klomp jare terug, en ook my arm vergruis in die proses, tesame met een HENGSE kop-besering. My valhelm het nie veel gehelp nie, want ek het my gesig in die grond ingeplant. In elke geval, ek het harssingskudding opgedoen, tot 'n baie ernstige mate.

My raad is om die beste hoof beskerming aan te skaf as wat jy kan bekostig om enige moontlikheid van ernstige breinskade te beperk sou jy val.

Glo my, jy was heel waarskynlik gelukkig as ek so lees van hoe beskadig jou valhelm was. Dit moes een hengse slag gewees het. Ek het steeds somtyds newe effekte van my val, soortgelyk aan die tipe van ding wat Pat Lambie genood het om sy rugby loopbaan op te gee.

i'm looking to get this helmet.. https://www.pinned.co.za/leatt-dbx-2.0-helmet-special.html it doesn't mention MIPS in the description. Any hubster reviews on this model?

I have one. It is a good helmet i.t.o. coverage and fit. It also keeps the sun out of the eyes. The only bit I don't like is the lack of a sweat wicking strip above the forehead. There is one, but it is not very efficient at keeping my eyes clear of sweat runoff. I sweat like a pig on any given ride, and now I have to use a buff to keep my eyes clear. It's fine in winter, but summer will be a different kettle of fish.