Definition of "Mint Condition"

Longbarn Killer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had some "random comments" when we tried to sell my TREK ....

Doubt those who made the comments even gave it a second thought .... but it certainly did NOT help us to sell the bike. And yes, it cost me weeks and a good few thousand rand ....

Person that sold it for me hardly ever use the Hub to sell ... because of the "random comments" ....

but hey, nice to chirp away .... 

ooooops, did I take the bait

if the pictures are as the wording in the ad sets out, and the price is fair/reasonable, you will have no issues

and hubbers dont just bash, they also add comments when deals are good, which can help a sale as well

Edited by sirmoun10goat

This may just possibly qualify as "MINT" .... :thumbup:

as long as it is NOT sent via SpeedServices ...  :oops:   :cursing:

Had some "random comments" when we tried to sell my TREK ....

Doubt those who made the comments even gave it a second thought .... but it certainly did NOT help us to sell the bike. And yes, it cost me weeks and a good few thousand rand ....

snip

what annoys me more is that people try and sell stuff on here but don't fully disclose something pertaining to the usability of that item.

Like for instance:

a few months ago I bought a Hope Head doctor expander plug for a carbon steerer fork. it didn't fit and doing some digging online confirmed the issue with most carbon steerers (they have a smaller inner diameter than Alu ones). #schoolfees.

Then a few weeks later I see one in the classifieds..."bought two only used one blah blah". knowing some poor fool with a carbon fork was going to make the same mistake as me...since expander plugs are actually quite a rare item...you dont get them at any old bike shop sommer...and certainly not the good ones.

i posted a comment warning any potential buyers about the possible issue...and low and behold...someone was looking at getting it and replied with a thanks. 

Thats all good and well...but what the seller did was remove the advert and reposted it a few days later so they could remove the comments from it and catch some other unsuspecting fool I guess. THAT imo is not being honest.

So i am defo one of those guys who will comment on an advert if i have first hand experience and it seems like the seller is trying to pull a fast one.

I also like linking to new item prices from CWC/EVO and the likes if sellers try and sell second hand stuff for R100 less than NIB ones....not to piss the seller off (mostly)...but to help out a buyer that might not know.

That Reminds me there is a SLX brakeset on there that I still need to scrutinise lol. R1900 seconhand vs R2099 new at CWC atm.   :ph34r:

nobody is safe..I look at them ALL :devil: 

Edited by morneS555

what annoys me more is that people try and sell stuff on here but don't fully disclose something pertaining to the usability of that item.

Like for instance:

a few months ago I bought a Hope Head doctor expander plug for a carbon steerer fork. it didn't fit and doing some digging online confirmed the issue with most carbon steerers (they have a smaller inner diameter than Alu ones). #schoolfees.

Then a few weeks later I see one in the classifieds..."bought two only used one blah blah". knowing some poor fool with a carbon fork was going to make the same mistake as me...since expander plugs are actually quite a rare item...you dont get them at any old bike shop sommer...and certainly not the good ones.

i posted a comment warning any potential buyers about the possible issue...and low and behold...someone was looking at getting it and replied with a thanks. 

Thats all good and well...but what the seller did was remove the advert and reposted it a few days later so they could remove the comments from it and catch some other unsuspecting fool I guess. THAT imo is not being honest.

So i am defo one of those guys who will comment on an advert if i have first hand experience and it seems like the seller is trying to pull a fast one.

I also like linking to new item prices from CWC/EVO and the likes if sellers try and sell second hand stuff for R100 less than NIB ones....not to piss the seller off (mostly)...but to help out a buyer that might not know.

That Reminds me there is a SLX brakeset on there that I still need to scrutinise lol. R1900 seconhand vs R2099 new at CWC atm.   :ph34r:

nobody is safe..I look at them ALL :devil: 

This brings another dimension to this topic. Is it alright to flame someone's ad?

The reason I started this topic was because a "well known" seller with a 100% positive rating was selling parts described as "mint". The picture actually showed very badly scratched parts. My first thought was to reply in a sarcastic way. But I thought about it and then figured that maybe one person's definition of "mint" is different to another's (that's why I asked for the general consensus). Besides, anybody buying the parts could see for themselves it was scratched and make decision accordingly. 

I try not to comment negatively on people's ads, but sometimes the temptation is too great. I also make sure of my facts before commenting. Like the guy selling a road bike claiming it was a 2014 model, yet it had a quill headset (these all but disappeared on bikes in the 90s). Some googling showed his bike to be a 1999 model. In that case I commented, but also try not to directly accuse. I try to use words like "are you sure" etc.

I've also seen people make negative comments on ads and it is clear that they have no idea what they are talking about. I once saw an ad for a Raleigh RC9000. Some chump chirped that Raleigh never made an RC9000 and that is was probably a fake. (Team Microsoft rode RC9000s).

There's a fine line between ruining a potential sale and exposing a dodgy seller.

Your comments on the expander plug were probably justified.

This brings another dimension to this topic. Is it alright to flame someone's ad?

snip

yea, not commenting for comment sake....but actually being useful.

I have made this comment in another topic before but it really irks me if it is blatantly obvious that the seller does not do proper research regarding the value etc of the item they are trying to sell, because if i'm buying something I sure as hell do my research....and mostly comment when I have an informed opinion as you said.

in general this applies to both sides:

post-64325-0-34812700-1562825704_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

yea, not commenting for comment sake....but actually being useful.

I have made this comment in another topic before but it really irks me if it is blatantly obvious that the seller does not do proper research regarding the value etc of the item they are trying to sell, because if i'm buying something I sure as hell do my research....and mostly comment when I have an informed opinion as you said.

in general this applies to both sides:

Or if the person is misleading or obviously not mentioning things that could catch out an unaware seller. 

Like a bike with a shot groupset where you can see the chainrings are worn away and is selling it as 'slightly used and just had a service', as soon as the person takes it to bike shop gets a bill for a new groupset... 

The reason I started this topic was because a "well known" seller with a 100% positive rating was selling parts described as "mint". The picture actually showed very badly scratched parts. My first thought was to reply in a sarcastic way. But I thought about it and then figured that maybe one person's definition of "mint" is different to another's (that's why I asked for the general consensus). Besides, anybody buying the parts could see for themselves it was scratched and make decision accordingly. 

I try not to comment negatively on people's ads, but sometimes the temptation is too great. I also make sure of my facts before commenting. Like the guy selling a road bike claiming it was a 2014 model, yet it had a quill headset (these all but disappeared on bikes in the 90s). Some googling showed his bike to be a 1999 model. In that case I commented, but also try not to directly accuse. I try to use words like "are you sure" etc.

I've also seen people make negative comments on ads and it is clear that they have no idea what they are talking about. I once saw an ad for a Raleigh RC9000. Some chump chirped that Raleigh never made an RC9000 and that is was probably a fake. (Team Microsoft rode RC9000s).

There's a fine line between ruining a potential sale and exposing a dodgy seller.

Your comments on the expander plug were probably justified.

Flame where flaming is in order. This is not olx or scumtree - its a community forum with a classifieds section

I disagree.

as different people have different ideas around the meaning of "mint condition" (Sorry MOrne), different people have differing views on what constitutes constructive feedback and whats consititutes flaming.

technical errors should be pointed out but otherwise posting about e.g. better pricing for the same item in a different ad of vendor is not cool.

I disagree.

as different people have different ideas around the meaning of "mint condition" (Sorry MOrne), different people have differing views on what constitutes constructive feedback and whats consititutes flaming.

technical errors should be pointed out but otherwise posting about e.g. better pricing for the same item in a different ad of vendor is not cool.

why? I do'nt see it like that and my intention is never really to cause k@k for the sake of.

I feel it might help them understand why their item isn't necessarily selling in the expected time/at all....and then they go posting in the OTHER thread about how/why it has become difficult to sell stuff in classifieds.

I would welcome constructive feedback like this on my own adverts if I didn't know someone could get it at a similar price new or anywhere else. But that seems to be the problem these days with everybody's feelings imo....nobodies sees constructive criticism as that....positive/constructive. :P