The Magalies Citrus Gravel Xpress 2019

mecheng89

By looking at the stages offered it seems like there are 5 x MTB + 1 x Cyclocross - but nothing Gravel specific?  Or am I misunderstanding?

By looking at the stages offered it seems like there are 5 x MTB + 1 x Cyclocross - but nothing Gravel specific?  Or am I misunderstanding?

I have done it a couple of times. Its a lot of gravel but its up Breedt's so it is rough. On the way back the last bit is single track. Would not make it my first race on a gravel bike but I have seen guys do it on gravel bikes.

This year we are introducing a SPECIAL PROMOTIONAL CYCLO-CROSS STAGE!

So if you have a gravel specific cyclocross bike we would like to invite you to enter the 50km special stage with 40km of gravel, 6km of single track, and 4km of pure cyclocross track, which will include stairs, drops and mud sections in and around the Van Gaalen venue, to introduce and promote CYCLO-CROSS in South Africa!

Please note though, that your technical riding ability will have to be above average to enter this category…!

I interpret this as gravel (80% gravel)??

My technical ability is above average.....at best  :blush:  #roadie4life

I will be doing it this year, but on the MTB. I hear Breedts is quite a climb, want to try it to compare to MAC :D

Same same, see you guys there????

I will be doing it this year, but on the MTB. I hear Breedts is quite a climb, want to try it to compare to MAC  :D

Strava segment?

Any one have the route profile for this race ? or know where to find it.

Edited by trevez

MAC is the climb on the Baviaans: Mother of all climbs - it's a 8km climb with around 300m of elevation. 

https://www.strava.com/segments/3242058

I actually think the Never Ender is worse but maybe that's just fatigue talking at that point

https://www.strava.com/segments/718892

I've never done Breedts so I'm not 100% sure what to expect  :D

Shack to top of Breedts is 5.2km and 354m up.

6.7% average gradient, so not too bad, but the terrain is what makes it really challenging. Haven't done it in the last 6 months so not sure what it looks like now... 

• 4 weeks later...

How did everyone find the race?

Arrived about 7:15 at the venue and my GF went in search of our numbers for the race. I joined and made it out of there at about 7:44 and luckily the start was postponed. My GF was not as lucky and she missed the start of the 95km - don't know if this was also postponed?

I found the route to be enjoyable and the corrugation wasn't bad. I'm not a very technical rider but the climb against the fence was fun. Breedt's was tough, my HT didn't find the up or down very pleasant and I was less than amused with the e-bikes just cruising past.

The 3rd water point (WP2 the 2nd time) had run out of water and sweets but still had some coke and oranges (and maybe potato's?) which was fine for me. The 4th was well stocked and made up for the deficiencies of WP3.

The medal was a bit of a let down - but I don't really care about that. All in all, I'll gladly do the race again.

Loved it , arrived at 6:00 , had more than enough time to get numbers and get sorted.

Race was chilled , rode with a great bunch , route was very well marked.

Yep , medal was a tad arbitrary , but for the rest I say KUDOS to the organizers , will

be back again .. !!  :clap: