Wahoo Kickr vs Kickr Core

hodg55

Afternoon all,

Opinions please regarding the Wahoo "Kickr 4" vs the "Kickr Core"?

Worth the money?

Any cheaper alternatives with automatic resistance etc?

Thanks!

If you will be using different bikes on the trainer, i.e. road and MTB, then the height of the Kickr4 being adjustable is useful. If it's just for a road bike, Core does everything needed.

There is a difference in flywheel weight, but those who have reviewed both trainers (GPLama, DCR, Smart Bike Trainers) could not really tell much of a difference, so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Core is basically like a Kickr3 but quieter. Also, max wattage and incline of the Core covers 99.9% of riders.

Kickr4 or Core, worth the money in my opinion.

Automatic resistance can be had for about R2500 if you can source a 2ndhand CompuTrainer somewhere. (I got lucky about a month ago)

Some Kickr Snap trainers listed in the Classifieds, can probably pick them up for R5k if you find a bargain.

In terms of Direct Drive Trainers, you can get older generation Kickr or Direto units in the classifieds for about R9k

Question is what your budget is? At each higher Price Point you will get more because you pay more.

I currently run the CompuTrainer setup and it is a world of difference from a dumb trainer, worth every sent I spent. I can see the value of a Direct Drive trainer if I had the money to burn, but right now I couldn't justify spending 4 times the money on it.

If you will be using different bikes on the trainer, i.e. road and MTB, then the height of the Kickr4 being adjustable is useful. If it's just for a road bike, Core does everything needed.

There is a difference in flywheel weight, but those who have reviewed both trainers (GPLama, DCR, Smart Bike Trainers) could not really tell much of a difference, so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Core is basically like a Kickr3 but quieter. Also, max wattage and incline of the Core covers 99.9% of riders.

The Kickr4 comes with a 105 cassette installed. Not much of a saving, but unless you have one to install, it'll be a PITA to keep taking it off and putting it on again.

Also, the Kickr has a carry handle which the Core doesn't. No biggie unless you're carting it about. If you move either unit, it should have a spin-down test

In terms of the "height" - which is the better option if the training is done on a MTB ? .... Possibly a 26'' rebuild for use on a trainer .... or rather a cheapie road bike just for the trainer ??

In terms of the "height" - which is the better option if the training is done on a MTB ? .... Possibly a 26'' rebuild for use on a trainer .... or rather a cheapie road bike just for the trainer ??

So I do the cheapie road frame (with 720mm bars) permanently mounted to the trainer with a Kickr4 but also want to mount my 29er to it from time to time. For this the Kickr4 works great for me.

I am not sure what the difference is between a 700C and 26er wheels is with respect the hub centre to ground height? If they are very close then I'd say a Core will suffice. If not then the Kickr4 will just allow for easier height adjustments. For big differences between 700C and 26er, the Core would just need to be raised at one of the ends to get the hub centres level front to rear.

I have definitely been swayed by the concept of a separate cheap bike for the IDT, makes so much sense, if you have the space. I have a pain cave which allows it.

If not, it becomes a major schlep for house an additional bike in an already compact space

I have definitely been swayed by the concept of a separate cheap bike for the IDT, makes so much sense, if you have the space. I have a pain cave which allows it.

If not, it becomes a major schlep for house an additional bike in an already compact space

Do it. I bought an old Raleigh RC2000 that was in really good shape, drive train still good, all for R1k. Weigh that up against having to replace say a chain or cassette more frequently on my GX Eagle drive train and it becomes an absolute no brainer. Entire cost of the cheapie is cheaper than just the cassette. If using ERG mode, which I do primarily on Trainerroad, it is basically a case of putting in ones gear and trapping until it is worn, then buy another cheap 8spd chain and put on a different cog and keep trapping.

When buying a cheapie for the trainer .... any reason to go either road bike or MTB ?

Personally I know the current MTB's better than the road bikes, even have a lot of spares.  So it may be cheaper to fix an old 26'' for the trainer .... if I can find a 26'' LARGE frame (in the Republic of the Western Cape)...

When buying a cheapie for the trainer .... any reason to go either road bike or MTB ?

Personally I know the current MTB's better than the road bikes, even have a lot of spares. So it may be cheaper to fix an old 26'' for the trainer .... if I can find a 26'' LARGE frame (in the Republic of the Western Cape)...

Nope, you could go either way, especially if its on a direct drive trainer. Just be sure to check for thru axle compatibility on the trainer you use if it has one. I actually nearly bought a 26er cheapie before finding the road bike. Edited by aiyaaz

Had a test ride on the Kickr at CWC ....  paired to their Swift setup.

NICE !

I dont have experience on other brands, so clearly cant comment on this.

TWO things stood out :

- It is SUPER quiet !!  Having used a "wheel-on-roller" previously, though it was the older non-smart type, I am seriously allergic to that wheel humm ....

- It really is nice how the "Swift route" is seen on screen and FELT on the legs !!

I was only on the bike for a few minutes, though I did try a bit of a power run for the last minute .... took a while before I could talk properly again ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Sitting here, looking out the window at the rain I am very happy for the rain .... and also seriously wishing I had a trainer at home ..... hard reality is this full kit will take some budgetting ....  ^_^

Hopefully some that has gone this route can help us newbies plan the pain-cave ....

- trainer ... $ ?  (R3k up to R30k..)

- ANT+ dongle, plus the entension cable (R900 from the shelf, cheaper if you shop around for a dongle and cable)

- Screen and computer .... what specs do you need for this ?  Got an old laptop in the study .... clearly this can quickly become a costly package ....

- Fan .... I have a fan, but see they have some nice $$$ options ...

- rubber sheet to keep the sweat off the carpet .... R1k .... or stop in at your local "Cape Rubber Company"

- ... bike/tire/etc .... depending on the trainer, there will be costs associated to this as well ... I am leaning towards an old R2k 26'' or 27,5'' bike, I have spare parts from the Mongoose project to complete this part-build.

Would be nice to hear the first hand experiences from those that have walked this road.

PS - THANKS to Steven and CWC for the test ride  :thumbup:   (al gaan n draadborsel nie nou help vir daai jeuk nie .... :devil: )

Had a test ride on the Kickr at CWC .... paired to their Swift setup.

NICE !

I dont have experience on other brands, so clearly cant comment on this.

TWO things stood out :

- It is SUPER quiet !! Having used a "wheel-on-roller" previously, though it was the older non-smart type, I am seriously allergic to that wheel humm ....

- It really is nice how the "Swift route" is seen on screen and FELT on the legs !!

I was only on the bike for a few minutes, though I did try a bit of a power run for the last minute .... took a while before I could talk properly again .... :whistling: :ph34r:

Sitting here, looking out the window at the rain I am very happy for the rain .... and also seriously wishing I had a trainer at home ..... hard reality is this full kit will take some budgetting .... ^_^

Hopefully some that has gone this route can help us newbies plan the pain-cave ....

- trainer ... $ ? (R3k up to R30k..)

- ANT+ dongle, plus the entension cable (R900 from the shelf, cheaper if you shop around for a dongle and cable)

- Screen and computer .... what specs do you need for this ? Got an old laptop in the study .... clearly this can quickly become a costly package ....

- Fan .... I have a fan, but see they have some nice $$$ options ...

- rubber sheet to keep the sweat off the carpet .... R1k .... or stop in at your local "Cape Rubber Company"

- ... bike/tire/etc .... depending on the trainer, there will be costs associated to this as well ... I am leaning towards an old R2k 26'' or 27,5'' bike, I have spare parts from the Mongoose project to complete this part-build.

Would be nice to hear the first hand experiences from those that have walked this road.

PS - THANKS to Steven and CWC for the test ride :thumbup: (al gaan n draadborsel nie nou help vir daai jeuk nie .... :devil: )

CWC was running a lekker special not too long ago with the Kickr4 going for 16.5k bundled with something else, can't remember. Maybe ask Steven if he can backdate it for you...he's always open ears when it comes to giving a good deal.

The dongle and USB extension cable can definitely be sourced much cheaper. If you know anyone that goes to the US get them to bring a set you buy from Amazon back for you. Alternatively, sportsworld was always the best priced for these dongles. USB extension can be sourced cheap from Game. Builders sell cheap rubber mats. I'd probably check game for fans as well. Buy the largest and most powerful one you can find and afford, you will need it.

Of course you don't need everything at once. If you have a Samsung phone with native ANT+ support, you just need the trainer and you can use the Android beta for Zwift.

CWC was running a lekker special not too long ago with the Kickr4 going for 16.5k bundled with something else, can't remember. Maybe ask Steven if he can backdate it for you...he's always open ears when it comes to giving a good deal.

Of course you don't need everything at once. If you have a Samsung phone with native ANT+ support, you just need the trainer and you can use the Android beta for Zwift.

Revamped and painted the house a few months back ....  :blink: 

so I am just doing homework at this stage ..... Steven DID say that I should come speak to him when I am ready to buy ... he will do some sort of a deal for me.

THANKS for the Samsung heads up !!   Will check if my old can do it, otherwise the new one should ....  The old only gets used for cycling in any case ....

Nope, you could go either way, especially if its on a direct drive trainer. Just be sure to check for thru axle compatibility on the trainer you use if it has one. I actually nearly bought a 26er cheapie before finding the road bike.

Yes if you're using Zwift and plan on racing. The gearing on MTB means that on flat races you spin out.