Detachable Towbar - Safety Pin

Drumboy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get that lock off with standard tools from my toolbox in 5s flat... but at least it is better than a split pin

yes, but if it's a minimum on insurance then you're ok with that.

locks are really just a deterrent

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/04/15/a_history_of_lockpicking_from_99_percent_invisible_and_roman_mars.html

The pursuit of lock-picking is as old as the lock, which is itself as old as civilization. But in the entire history of the world, there was only one brief moment, lasting about 70 years, where you could put something under lock and key—a chest, a safe, your home—and have complete, unwavering certainty that no intruder could get to it.

This is a feeling that security experts call “perfect security.” Since we lost perfect security in the 1850s, it has remained elusive. Despite tremendous leaps forward in security technology, we have never been able to get perfect security back.

Edited by Shebeen

I can get that lock off with standard tools from my toolbox in 5s flat... but at least it is better than a split pin

Yeah but it might just be easier for them if vehicle doesn't have a lock on.

Same reason we have razor wire up at home. The house down the road with nothing will be easier to get in to.

They can get past any security measure.. but all we can do is deter them a bit..

Edited by Gen

Same reason we have razor wire up at home. The house down the road with nothing will be easier to get in to.

They can get past any security measure.. but all we can do is deter them a bit..

True

My point is actually more towards that if you are going to do the trouble to drill out the hole and mount a lock, then do it properly with the lock I posted on Page 1 of this thread. The normal locks aren't much of a deterrent to a guy with some tools on him.

True

My point is actually more towards that if you are going to do the trouble to drill out the hole and mount a lock, then do it properly with the lock I posted on Page 1 of this thread. The normal locks aren't much of a deterrent to a guy with some tools on him.

for sure yes

it always seems as if we are fighting against thunder when it comes to protecting ourselves and our belongings.

I was always told if you go swimming with Sharks, just make sure you not the slowest swimmer or if you going to p!$$ of a dog in the street, make sure you can run faster than your buddy. Same concept? :lol:

I see you live with the sheep, In this country I wouldn't bother with a lock at all on a fortuner, they just take the whole car.

probably better if you dont have a lock, that way they'll take the bike off before they drive away in your bakkie   :clap:

Edited by ouzo

yes, but if it's a minimum on insurance then you're ok with that.

locks are really just a deterrent

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/04/15/a_history_of_lockpicking_from_99_percent_invisible_and_roman_mars.html

The pursuit of lock-picking is as old as the lock, which is itself as old as civilization. But in the entire history of the world, there was only one brief moment, lasting about 70 years, where you could put something under lock and key—a chest, a safe, your home—and have complete, unwavering certainty that no intruder could get to it.

This is a feeling that security experts call “perfect security.” Since we lost perfect security in the 1850s, it has remained elusive. Despite tremendous leaps forward in security technology, we have never been able to get perfect security back.

I never knew about this trick, until one year, heading down to Cape Town for the August we realised that we locked the trailer but left the keys at home.

As we pull into beaufort there was one of those bakkies with the tool chest built into the back of it filling up next to us.

So we asked the guy if he had a hacksaw or something, he pulled out 2 spanner and in 30 seconds had the lock off the trailer.

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, coppi said:

I also found out that my Thule rack would move / pivot around the ball and tried all sort of remedies thinking that the chrome was the issue as it was too smooth and the rack could not grip properly.........to eventually figure out that the ball is bolted through the L plate and was not tightly secured! Ended up spot welding it!

Hi, i am having this same issue with my thule bike rack. How did the spot welding work thus far?