Shimano 2x11 to Shimano or SRAM 1 x 12

Myth

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before...I did search and could not find any posts on this on the site.  So if its discussed elsewhere, please direct me there...

Anyway, on to the question:

I have been sitting on the fence for long enough to have look at whether this 1x12 thing SRAM started was gonna turn out to be a fad, but then Shimano joined the fray and I think I may be getting to the point where I am convinced there are merits for me to move from 2x11 to 1x12.  What would I need to be able to go from 2x11 XT to 1x12 (either SRAM or Shimano)?  I have heard that I would need to change to a XD driver body for SRAM (not that I actually really know what that means???) and I assume I would need to do somethin gsimilar for Shimano 1x12.  Does changing a driver body mean also a new hub (i.e. a complete wheel rebuild)?

I also know that there are aftermarket etsups or conversion kits, but I only want advice on what I need to do to go from Shimano to SHimao or Shimano to SRAM fully OEM and without "'n Boere plan".

Thanks in advance...

What hub do you have on the rear? XD drivers are available for majority of hubs which will be for the Sram GX cassette and above, NX will use the same freehub as your current setup. 

Going Shimano 1x12 you'll need a microspline freehub which aren't available for most hubs which means a wheel build will be needed. You can run the Sunrace cassette which only goes down to an 11 tooth but it will work. 

If your bike can do a front derailer I would seriously consider the shimano Deore 2 x 12 set up.

“The DEORE XT 2X12 HOLLOWTECH II 36-26T crankset offers the ultimate range when matched with the 10-45T cassette, maximizing the possibilities on all sorts of terrain whilst maintaining small gear steps for a consistent cadence”

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/new-shimano-xt-and-slx-groupsets-go-12-speed-r7848

Why not just put a narrow wide chainring on the front and an 11-46 Sunrace cassette on the rear and run 1x11?  It's a FAAAARRRR cheaper way of doing it and then you can see if you like it.  You might like it so much that you just keep it.  Nothing wrong with the Shimano 11 speed stuff.  I'm running a 1x11 setup and want for nothing.  I can climb any hill and pedal up to about 45km/h.  Beyond that I'd be freewheeling anyway so it really makes no difference to me. 

Why not just put a narrow wide chainring on the front and an 11-46 Sunrace cassette on the rear and run 1x11?  It's a FAAAARRRR cheaper way of doing it and then you can see if you like it.  You might like it so much that you just keep it.  Nothing wrong with the Shimano 11 speed stuff.  I'm running a 1x11 setup and want for nothing.  I can climb any hill and pedal up to about 45km/h.  Beyond that I'd be freewheeling anyway so it really makes no difference to me. 

Thanks, but I had 1x11 at some point and was not happy with it so went back 2x11 for better range.  So I have my mind set on 1x12.

If your bike can do a front derailer I would seriously consider the shimano Deore 2 x 12 set up.

“The DEORE XT 2X12 HOLLOWTECH II 36-26T crankset offers the ultimate range when matched with the 10-45T cassette, maximizing the possibilities on all sorts of terrain whilst maintaining small gear steps for a consistent cadence”

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/new-shimano-xt-and-slx-groupsets-go-12-speed-r7848

Sure, i get the "better steps between gears" argument, but if I'm going to drop money on a new groupset it will have to come with significant weight savings as well, otherwise I can just stick with my current 2x11 setup.  So I kinda have my mind set on going 1x12 already, now its just a matter of how to do it...

What hub do you have on the rear? XD drivers are available for majority of hubs which will be for the Sram GX cassette and above, NX will use the same freehub as your current setup. 

Going Shimano 1x12 you'll need a microspline freehub which aren't available for most hubs which means a wheel build will be needed. You can run the Sunrace cassette which only goes down to an 11 tooth but it will work. 

Its a Cannondale CZero hub (I think?).

I will most like want to go for at least GX or better, so looks like I need a new freebody?  How hard would that be to install?

Edited by myth125

Hey Myth, what Dirtypot suggests is pretty much on the money. You can get an 11sp Sunrace 11-50 cassette which has almost teh same range as the SRAM 10-50, but you do lose out on the top end a bit. That won't require anything other than a cassette swap, which means it's the cheapest and simplest way to go from a 2x to 1x. 

However - if you're set on the 1x12, then there are a few ways to go about doing it. Here's a list of the options you have, ranging from cheapest to most expensive

1: New shifter / derailleur (brand is personal choice) & sunrace 11-50 12sp cassette
2: "Upgrade kit" with SRAM using their 10-50 cassette. Will need a new freehub body as well for the SRAM cassette to fit on, which is in the region of R 1,000 or so. This makes it a bit more expensive as there's an extra item you need to buy.

3: XT / XTR upgrade kit with XTR 10-51 cassette. 

I suggest the sunrace cassette over the Shimano & SRAM for a couple of reasons. It's cheap & it lasts. I'd also suggest the Sunrace cassette over the NX, as it's a bit lighter and cheaper. There's also not much choice out there with the Shimano 12sp stuff just yet, except in teh upper tier (XTR / XT) kits, which can be expensive and you may have to pair with a Sunrace / SRAM cassette anyway if you don't have a hub that has a Microspline freehub available just yet

It's important to note that ONLY options 2 & 3 will result in a range that is wider than an 11 speed 1x setup, due to that 10t cog on the SRAM and NEW Shimano cassettes (they are $$$ tho)

There are more options, if you wanna get picky, but those 3 are the main ones and other options fall within (1) just with a different cassette. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before...I did search and could not find any posts on this on the site.  So if its discussed elsewhere, please direct me there...

Anyway, on to the question:

I have been sitting on the fence for long enough to have look at whether this 1x12 thing SRAM started was gonna turn out to be a fad, but then Shimano joined the fray and I think I may be getting to the point where I am convinced there are merits for me to move from 2x11 to 1x12.  What would I need to be able to go from 2x11 XT to 1x12 (either SRAM or Shimano)?  I have heard that I would need to change to a XD driver body for SRAM (not that I actually really know what that means???) and I assume I would need to do somethin gsimilar for Shimano 1x12.  Does changing a driver body mean also a new hub (i.e. a complete wheel rebuild)?

I also know that there are aftermarket etsups or conversion kits, but I only want advice on what I need to do to go from Shimano to SHimao or Shimano to SRAM fully OEM and without "'n Boere plan".

Thanks in advance...

Since you're already on 2x11 going 1 x11 isn't going to get you much. I'm willing to bet you're going to hate it. With 1x11 I felt I needed chainrings with odd number toth count to make it feel right. and have the right gearing range. With 1x12 even though the cassette just has the 50T as an extra with all the same steps I could go up from a 32T chainring to a 34T and it felt good again (able to stay within cadence range for the Watts output).

Once on 1x12 I've not looked back. I'd say  take the leap, go 1x12 and get the gearing system you want. it doesn't take long to discover if you like it or not. Taking a 1x12 equipped demo bike for a 20min will tell you all you need to know and it comes at zero cost.

1x12 GX Eagle, ride and enjoy. The Cannondale Czero hub is on a Scalpel I assume and I'm guessing a pre Ai model 2014-2016?

it'll be a 142mm spaced hub and spares and a XD driver are available for it. A Microspline is not available for that hub (Its made by Formula not DT Swiss if I recall correctly).

I've heard a saleman selling a Shimano 1x12 to a customer stating that its seasy to switch between 1x12 and 2x12 with the new Shimano 12 speed system. It's not because the two systems use different rear derailleurs and the 2x12 doesn't allow the sue of the 10-51 cassette. So you're locked into either 1x or 2x from date of purchase.

Lastly bike manufacturers are moving to 1x only frame designs for added tyre clearance. I think a 2x system will be a waste of time but I could be wrong

Sure, i get the "better steps between gears" argument, but if I'm going to drop money on a new groupset it will have to come with significant weight savings as well, otherwise I can just stick with my current 2x11 setup.  So I kinda have my mind set on going 1x12 already, now its just a matter of how to do it...

Well you could save a fair amount (weight) if you went XTR 2 x 12.... :-)

imo if i could i would stay with 2 x 11 or go to 2 x 12

Been kind of forced onto 1 x 12 sram (GX Eagle 32 /10 - 50) since the beginning of the year and i'm not overly impressed.

Thanks for all the replies guys...now i need to look at my options and the cost $$$

Thanks, but I had 1x11 at some point and was not happy with it so went back 2x11 for better range.  So I have my mind set on 1x12.

What cassette did you use when you went 1x11? Maybe that is what put you off the 1x11 thing ,if you had a 11-42 the range might have felt a bit limited.. If you had a bigger cassette and you weren't happy with the range of the 1x11 I can't see that 1x12 would make you happy..The difference between a 1x11 11-50 and 1x12 10-50 is almost zero at the top and bottom end. The only noticeable difference is somewhere in the "middle" gears you have an extra gear on the 1x12, but you already said you don't care that much about the "better steps between gears". I fully agree with the Captain here, go for the 11-50 1x11 Sunrace cassette.. cheapest option. Plus it also has the dinner plate look of the 1x12 cassettes if that is what you're into, only you will know it is 1x11 and not 1x12..

What cassette did you use when you went 1x11? Maybe that is what put you off the 1x11 thing ,if you had a 11-42 the range might have felt a bit limited.. If you had a bigger cassette and you weren't happy with the range of the 1x11 I can't see that 1x12 would make you happy..The difference between a 1x11 11-50 and 1x12 10-50 is almost zero at the top and bottom end. The only noticeable difference is somewhere in the "middle" gears you have an extra gear on the 1x12, but you already said you don't care that much about the "better steps between gears". I fully agree with the Captain here, go for the 11-50 1x11 Sunrace cassette.. cheapest option. Plus it also has the dinner plate look of the 1x12 cassettes if that is what you're into, only you will know it is 1x11 and not 1x12..

It was in the old days of 11-42 when I had a 1x11 setup.  

How does the Sunrace cassette perform in terms of shifting and setup compared to SRAM 1x12?  One thing that really annoyed me with my previous 1x11 setup was the crappy shifting in certain gears as well as inability to backpedal without dropping a chain (and that's after spending eons on getting my set up well sorted, including a NW chainring).  SRAM 1x12 looks to be pretty polished in those aspects from videos I've seen...

Edited by myth125

I have an 11-46 Sunrace 11spd cassette on my bike. Shifter and derailer is NX, so bottom of the range stuff.

Shifting is crisp and precise, no falling off the cassette when in the 46 and back pedaling. Got an 32 Oval direct mount chainring with 6mm offset.

Must admit, did spend a fair amount of time to set the B screw and the Low and High settings, but it is perfect now. No jumping around between ratios, and I did the setting a few months back already, and have not touched it since. Done in excess of 1000km on it already, and no obvious signs of wear (on the black cassette, and you know how quickly that shows up wear.)

I suspect the 11-50 will be the same.