Strava / Relive bustup

Sbloomer

So it seems the two have parted company, and like two teens, the fault is with the other.  

Any idea what the actual problem was?  It seems Relive violated the Strava API T&Cs, but what T&Cs?

I have no idea. But if I was to guess, probably to do with the location tracking data. Strava been very sensitive since they shared some “hidden” military base in Iraq when one of the soldiers went for a run and uploaded the exercise for the world to see about 18 months back. (The reason why you cant search for routes anymore using the map)

But.... I am joining dots that might be very far apart.

I am wondering if there was maybe not an attempt at monetizing, and one of the parties likely felt short changed? 

(Disclaimer: the above is pure speculation)

So it seems the two have parted company, and like two teens, the fault is with the other.  

Any idea what the actual problem was?  It seems Relive violated the Strava API T&Cs, but what T&Cs?

Relive has a very different version of the story - hard to know what the actual truth is.

seems like the issue is probably way simpler to me.

Relive needs Strava

Strava can do relive functions themselves.

a split was therefore inevitable

Thought the same thing. They probably had plans to bring the feature in-house and just looked for an easy out.

Anyone have any details on the "social features" that Strava didn't like? Strava's API agreement is written in a way that prohibits just about any use of Strava data so its not much of a help.

Anyone have any details on the "social features" that Strava didn't like? Strava's API agreement is written in a way that prohibits just about any use of Strava data so its not much of a help.

A total guess here, but I've wondered about Strava's privacy zone feature and whether Velo ViewerRelive respected those when producing their "routes"?

Last I recall, if the user authorises via the API it gives access to all route data, even within the privacy zone. I assume if this were the case Relive might be exposing a portion of route info that should be private. Not sure if the API has been updated to exclude this data though?

Edited by Admin
Typo

A total guess here, but I've wondered about Strava's privacy zone feature and whether Velo ViewerRelive respected those when producing their "routes"?

Last I recall, if the user authorises via the API it gives access to all route data, even within the privacy zone. I assume if this were the case Relive might be exposing a portion of route info that should be private. Not sure if the API has been updated to exclude this data though?

relive excluded the privacy zone

The app needs to ask for permission to get private data but then it does get data inside of privacy zones. This does stuff up some of the laps though. I reported a bug about that.

I'm wondering if it hasn't got more to do with the European GDPR laws perhaps. Strava has no control over what Relive can do with the data, and if there is a data leak on Relive's side it could become Strava's liability - who knows?

Anyone actually really use relive?. I used to get an email after every activity and just delete it. It was novel the first couple of times maybe. Fist thing I did after this announcement was delete my account

I might be a bit technology challenged but where do i delete my Relive account?

I found the app a complete waste of time. Didn't really give me any useful data.