3km Sprint gear ratio?

L.swartz

I'm running a 46/17 ratio at the moment but i max out at 50kmh and can't keep that up very long. There is a 3km race/sprint coming up (buslane3000) and i know i will spin out.

I can only afford to change my cog and was wondering what would be a good tooth number? 46/14??

Edited by L.swartz

Yoh that is insane. Are the cranks shorter?

Is crazy right [emoji3] Although he said for a short time only.

Crank length shouldn't matter to speed? One revolution is one revolution?

Is crazy right [emoji3] Although he said for a short time only.

Crank length shouldn't matter to speed? One revolution is one revolution?

Yeah I think so but it's easier to spin that high with a shorter crank? I am just thinking that the distance covered by your foot with a shorter crank is less. What I was thinking is it would be easier to achieve that high cadence with a shorter crank. 

Yeah I think so but it's easier to spin that high with a shorter crank? I am just thinking that the distance covered by your foot with a shorter crank is less. What I was thinking is it would be easier to achieve that high cadence with a shorter crank. 

It's true, the same foot speed will result in a higher RPM as crank length decreases. 165mm for the win!

It's true, the same foot speed will result in a higher RPM as crank length decreases. 165mm for the win!

So on track bikes, do they generally have shorter cranks? Is 165mm the common length?

So on track bikes, do they generally have shorter cranks? Is 165mm the common length?

165mm is pretty common for track and crit racing. It helps with cornering in and makes it harder to damage a beautiful wooden velodrome surface

Yoh that is insane. Are the cranks shorter?

i just checked my bike pdf and the cranks are 170mm