Sunday Rant. Spruit trail markings

jcmeyerSS

So this is my little Sunday Rant

l Love riding the Spruit.

I have been riding it most Sundays for over 12 years now.

I have seen it go through a whole lot of changes and have to admit that it is the best its ever been.

Love the hard work and effort that Spruit fairies and Jozi Trails have put into making the spruit safe and friendly for Everyone and all users. Riders, runners, walkers, doggies, kiddies, duckies and all in between.

They have gone through the effort of plan and set out trails and marking which one are good for runners, walkers and Cyclists.

Now I don't have a problem with sharing the trail with walkers and runner and their dogs (i am in the category often too) as they are generally slower moving and you have ample time to see them and move out the way.

However (RANT ON)

Today I almost had to big head on collisions with cyclists riding the wrong way on directional trials. the second was literally 8m past the sign the said no entry and when i said didnt you see the sign all i got was a "F@#K OFF"

This does include the 4,6,7 other guys that i saw going the wrong way on directional trails today as well but these guys i saw a long way off and was able to pass with out an issue but i mean " come on guys have a little common sense and respect for the effort put into these trails that we all get to ride for free.

I'm not the kind of guy that goes to the spruit to break all the strava records, I know it is a public park and we have to share the trails, so don't mind having a chilled ride and expect to be held up by all sorts of folks. 

But when you are off the main route on one the beautifully sculpted downhill single tracks that the guys have clearly put a bunch of time and sweat into I like to use my 100kgs to my advantage and fly down it with the peace of mind that there should not be anyone coming the other way.

Not so great though when you have poop@ll 1 and poop@ll 2 riding up the trail.

(RANT OFF)

Anyway. Enough of that

To all the folks involved in these awesome trails, thanks for the effort and please keep up the good work. 

I rode it this morning - started around 10h30 from Bryanston and got on at the bottom of Cowley/12th..

The Spruit over the weekend is busy, and with that comes all sorts - as mentioned walkers, doggers, runners and most of all folks on bikes.

What I saw today was many many folks on bikes that give the indication that they are relatively new to the sport and as a result not all that familiar with trail markings and directional signage.

Its a public space, so no information pamphlets upon entry, very little public awareness before entering the trail network. It is what it is.. That is the nature of a public space in sunny SA

Make no mistake, I am loving the Spruit lately, it looks good, well maintained (for the most part) and gives a good ride. Yes, there are some filthy spots and sewerage spills to negotiate, not to mention riding with all the vagrants, but its only a small section. I love the network of trails and gives a good ride right through the city. The Spruit faeries are a godsend.