Thanks Julien Louw

For sure, but TMTBC should not be setting a false sense of confidence by mis-grading their trails so badly in the first place.

True, I've heard too many speak of the Cobra being too difficult or scared to try just because of the wrong difficulty rating.

Jo-Louw is really good. For beginner to 'expert' he treats you with respect, listens to you and can read where you are at almost instantly. This allows hom to adapt the lesson to you and your needs but still nail the basics the frankly we almost all gloss over. One of the key things between 'good rider' and 'instructor' is the human element. you need to be part psychologist, part shredder but able to remember what it was like not to be able to do the beginner stuff and be able the connect on that level with a massive range of people.

I've had lessons from amazing riders who couldn't understand how to dissect the problems I was having. I've had lessons from guys who just were doing it between trying to be the next big thing and teach you like a robot. Julian makes takes the time, understands people are different and seems to adhere to the adage of 'treat each person like they are first person you've ever taught and the first to learn'. Legend. 

Oh, hope he runs another Black Friday deal as I'm front and centre for that.

You get BF deals for skills sessions. Damn...

Just watched Ride, Rate, Reviews video down that and like most of section 1 I am like, that's not so bad, then it's gets rocky and I'm like ok. Section 2 I think I died like 7 times just watching it. [emoji23]

Section 1 of status is the steepest and hardest part of it. Trust me, a gopro does not do it justice.

May times I have stared down that abyss at Status Quo and the starting drop at Plumber and thought to myself 

"Eendag as ek groot is"

Would love to be able to do those lines, but will need some extra courage and peer pressure before I commit

May times I have stared down that abyss at Status Quo and the starting drop at Plumber and thought to myself

"Eendag as ek groot is"

Would love to be able to do those lines, but will need some extra courage and peer pressure before I commit

Just don't try "beer" courage.

• 2 weeks later...

While on topic of TMTBC trail ratings, how would the black & double black lines at Conties compare to other trails? I haven't had the chance to ride the Cobra or too many other trails as of yet to have a fair enough reference of gradings.

While on topic of TMTBC trail ratings, how would the black & double black lines at Conties compare to other trails? I haven't had the chance to ride the Cobra or too many other trails as of yet to have a fair enough reference of gradings.

Cobra is a blue by proper standards.

This is the type of grading you'll see in Europe.

Green - Flow no real jumps

Blue - Flow, jumps no gaps You can ride the trail with your wheels touching the ground all the way down. If there are gaps they are off the natural line of the trail

Red - Some mandatory gaps, Tech rock gardens and roots

Black - Big mandatory gaps. Lot's of gnar. Conties DH is a proper black.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I have too agree, after doing the Hoogekraal Enduro, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Don't get me wrong, Cobra is still one of the nicest pieces of singletrack I've ridden, but definitely not black rated.

Don't think you'll find much argument about that statement. 

Cobra is a blue by proper standards.

This is the type of grading you'll see in Europe.

Green - Flow no real jumps

Blue - Flow, jumps no gaps You can ride the trail with your wheels touching the ground all the way down. If there are gaps they are off the natural line of the trail

Red - Some mandatory gaps, Tech rock gardens and roots

Black - Big mandatory gaps. Lot's of gnar. Conties DH is a proper black.

But Conties DH you can ride around the gaps/jumps, so not mandatory?

But Conties DH you can ride around the gaps/jumps, so not mandatory?

Correct, they are not mandatory, so I would say technically even Conties DH line is blue, bordering on black because  of the gradient only.

Correct, they are not mandatory, so I would say technically even Conties DH line is blue, bordering on black because  of the gradient only.

I'm happy to be wrong here but the gaps on conties are on the natural line of the trail. The blue's ive ridden in euro the gaps are off the natural line so you have to make an effort to turn into them. Plus it's steep and those rock gardens are pretty scary. but yeah. happy to be wrong.

Edited by Duane_Bosch