Magped pedals - Are they any good?

Wik

• 6 months later...

In this battle of choice regarding clipless vs flats I went for neutral ground in the form of proper dual pedal. (One side clipless and other flat). I like the versatility that with a flip of the pedal I am ready for what comes my way. 

In the trails I ride I like to have the freedom of flat pedals in certain technical and jump sections, while also enjoying the efficiency on the longer flat areas clipless provides. The one benefit I have also seen that during races were traffic forces you to stop in harder technical sections, I can flip to flat pedals and get going much faster than racers that first struggle to clip in. The con however is however flipping the pedal when caught on the wrong side, but on my level I find this manageble.

I went for the  Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 which I paired with Scott Sport Trail shoe. 

Perhaps a solution to your problem as well.

In this battle of choice regarding clipless vs flats I went for neutral ground in the form of proper dual pedal. (One side clipless and other flat). I like the versatility that with a flip of the pedal I am ready for what comes my way. 

In the trails I ride I like to have the freedom of flat pedals in certain technical and jump sections, while also enjoying the efficiency on the longer flat areas clipless provides. The one benefit I have also seen that during races were traffic forces you to stop in harder technical sections, I can flip to flat pedals and get going much faster than racers that first struggle to clip in. The con however is however flipping the pedal when caught on the wrong side, but on my level I find this manageble.

I went for the  Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 which I paired with Scott Sport Trail shoe. 

Perhaps a solution to your problem as well.

Really hope that's not the case, otherwise the poor OP has been pushing his bike with no pedals or shoes for 6 months, poor bugger :ph34r: 

• 4 weeks later...

I ride with Magped and they work like a charm. I started with the Magped Sport towards the end of last year and later upgraded to the Magped Enduro.  Its a lot of money to pay for pedals but its been worth it for me. I'm terrified of clipless since I fell and broke a few ribs coz I couldn't clip out on time. "Unclipping" on the Magped is exactly the same as you'd do with flats, you simply lift your foot off the pedals but you also attached to the pedals when climbing/pedaling or going downhill. I was used to pulling on the pedals when climbing so flats didn't quite do it for me.

I've listed my old Magped Sport for R1500.00 on the classifieds. 

Edited by Jarl Borg

• 1 year later...

Hi hubbers. I've been following bikehub religiously since December last year and bought most of my gear through this site. This is my first post...

Has anyone tried these magped pedals or owned a pair that can give me honest feedback? At R2600 a pop I'd like to do my homework properly before taking the dive.

Seems like the best of flats and clipless pedals combined but I'm not so sure about the pulling power of the magnets??

I’ve been playing around with the idea of moving to flats on my mtb (I went for a skills session and apparently your skills improve when one uses flats only) but I enjoy the stability that clipless provide. If these pedals are the real deal surely they are the way of the future and provide the best of both worlds.

Any advice/info would be helpful.

Hi hubbers. I've been following bikehub religiously since December last year and bought most of my gear through this site. This is my first post...

Has anyone tried these magped pedals or owned a pair that can give me honest feedback? At R2600 a pop I'd like to do my homework properly before taking the dive.

Seems like the best of flats and clipless pedals combined but I'm not so sure about the pulling power of the magnets??

I’ve been playing around with the idea of moving to flats on my mtb (I went for a skills session and apparently your skills improve when one uses flats only) but I enjoy the stability that clipless provide. If these pedals are the real deal surely they are the way of the future and provide the best of both worlds.

Any advice/info would be helpful.

Hi did you go for the magped option?  I’m looking into this option now.  I do a mix of cross country and technical and had a few close encounters because of feet either stuck in the clips or not repositioning fast enough.