947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marius please let me know how it goes with the 36T  :devil:

If you're feeling "strong" I will even be willing to place a bet on this one - I doubt that you'll do less than 04:30 with that config  :whistling:

Very doable.

Three years ago we did 4h28 on SS MTBs.

I ran 34×17 and I think V12 34x16.

Ok, we warmed up by riding to the start from Parktown North, but even if you don't you should manage.

My view is anyone with enough energy to do a 2nd lap did not ride hard enough the first. 

Ooooooooooooh Scotty, I did the double lap last year with The Cows, and I can assure you that I actuallly don't know where I found the extra energy to do lap 2 after coming in at 3h04 (which was 4 minutes too slow). 

But as you know, what drives me are those little fighters in hospital (hence I signed up and raised funds with The Cows) - amazing when you are completely exhausted, are cramping in places you didn't know you had muscles, but yet, you drink your cup of cement and get back on that bike (uphill bleh... I dont like the reversed route) cause the reason you are out there remains first and foremost on your mind.

Finding and helping struggling cyclists, pushing/pulling the ice cream bikes with the like minded herd,  man oh man there is no bigger award!

Exhausted after the 2nd lap (which took almost 5 hours) but in the company of legends, anything is possible!!

Join us Scotty!!!  

PS  Double Lap again this year... have to smash that 3 hour mark!

Edited by bobbie

Ooooooooooooh Scotty, I did the double lap last year with The Cows, and I can assure you that I actuallly don't know where I found the extra energy to do lap 2 after coming in at 3h04 (which was 4 minutes too slow). 

But as you know, what drives me are those little fighters in hospital (hence I signed up and raised funds with The Cows) - amazing when you are completely exhausted, are cramping in places you didn't know you had muscles, but yet, you drink your cup of cement and get back on that bike (uphill bleh... I dont like the reversed route) cause the reason you are out there remains first and foremost on your mind.

Finding and helping struggling cyclists, pushing/pulling the ice cream bikes with the like minded herd,  man oh man there is no bigger award!

Exhausted after the 2nd lap (which took almost 5 hours) but in the company of legends, anything is possible!!

Join us Scotty!!!  

PS  Double Lap again this year... have to smash that 3 hour mark!

Sorry if this has been asked before but what are the qualifications to do a double lap? Do you have to have a certain seeding and then finish in a particular time to do able to start the second?

Asking for a friend theres no way I could make 180+km  :eek:

Sorry if this has been asked before but what are the qualifications to do a double lap? Do you have to have a certain seeding and then finish in a particular time to do able to start the second?

Asking for a friend theres no way I could make 180+km :eek:

Most charities that run the official Double Loop groups require some sort of proof that you can do the first lap under 3h. If not, you won't be back in time to make it before the last official group departs.

Asking for a friend theres no way I could make 180+km :eek:

Anyone not in the official double group could still ride, but your timing chip needs to be removed.’

I’ve done a double lap after starting in D-group (with the worst seeded club mates) and had about 20 minutes between finishing and making it across the line as the last group left. First lap was a 2:50 that year, and I think a sub-3 would be sufficient time to get back, refuel and go.

Most charities that run the official Double Loop groups require some sort of proof that you can do the first lap under 3h. If not, you won't be back in time to make it before the last official group departs.

Anyone not in the official double group could still ride, but your timing chip needs to be removed.’

I’ve done a double lap after starting in D-group (with the worst seeded club mates) and had about 20 minutes between finishing and making it across the line as the last group left. First lap was a 2:50 that year, and I think a sub-3 would be sufficient time to get back, refuel and go.

Awesome! I'm actually hoping to do the full iron man in 2021. (going to do a half next year) so was thinking a double lap next year would be good training. I'll need to shave 30 minutes off my current time though to have a chance though. 

Does anyone know if there will be camping facilities at Riversands the night before the race?

I know that in previous years there was, but I don’t see anything mentioned on the website for this year.

Hmmm, I wonder what this announcement will be about?

I have only just realised it was You who started this topic!  Hello hello Gabran partner - what a small world!!

I have only just realised it was You who started this topic! Hello hello Gabran partner - what a small world!!

Please remind me who you are again? I don’t remember anyone with the name of bobbie...

post-619-0-20719600-1566976698_thumb.jpg

Please remind me who you are again? I don’t remember anyone with the name of bobbie...

Valley of a Thousand Hills Partners!!  :D

Edited by bobbie

Oh wow! Thanks again for that pull up and over those hills! See you in Ladysmith next weekend.

Definitely - Team Work to be repeated!!   Rode De Beers pass on Sunday..... omw... wont do that again in a hurry hahahah.   

Definitely - Team Work to be repeated!!   Rode De Beers pass on Sunday..... omw... wont do that again in a hurry hahahah.   

De Beers pass is fun, or used to be. Not sure what the surface is like now but few years ago when I did, it was awesome.