947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this issue, high salt loss and suffer towards the end of races with legs starting to cramp.

Will read more into this, thanks.

I was using eletewater - an electrolyte that you add to your drinks - in 2015 and 2016, and never thought much about it at the time. If I look at my results back then, and the training that I do, it's pretty much the same as now. Yes, I am older, so naturally will be a wee bit slower, but I don't remember sweating where it stings the eyes, as bad as now.

Will go back to that and see what happens over the next 4 weeks. It is available locally, through the online shop only. 

Interesting, I'm actually going to give it a shot as well

I was using eletewater - an electrolyte that you add to your drinks - in 2015 and 2016, and never thought much about it at the time. If I look at my results back then, and the training that I do, it's pretty much the same as now. Yes, I am older, so naturally will be a wee bit slower, but I don't remember sweating where it stings the eyes, as bad as now.

Will go back to that and see what happens over the next 4 weeks. It is available locally, through the online shop only. 

Ok, so what would you guys suggest be the best way to Hydrate prior and during the event?  Any Sports-drink with sufficient Electrolytes and Sodium?  

I find these work really well for me: https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/high5-zero-hydration-tabs-c1125040?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0brtBRDOARIsANMDykZzujo3ii1FKXrA62sI0DOasqV-CgrXb5DTye9bPltdrImvliaOYDUaAppDEALw_wcB

You can get non-caffeine ones as well.

Hi everyone, I am looking for a 947 entry for the driver at our office. The only reason he has not entered the race the past couple of years is because he simply cannot afford it.

If you know of someone that has an entry but can't make it anymore or you can't make it and you're willing to gift your entry or sell it at a reasonable price (then I can cover the costs for him) please let me know.

I did post a wanted ad but am trying to spread the word a little further. I have never had much luck with wanted ads.

I am thus sitting with a dilemma, do I start in L with a much greater chance of finding a group to stick to, but ride "alone", or do I fall back to W with the corporate group and ride with a friend?

I'm posting this in the hopes that everyone reading this thread is reminded that we're all out there to have fun riding our bikes.

Its not a fun ride, its a killer fast racing race. Make a statement with your knobblies and do a sub 3. Dont ride with friends, they will just slow you down. RIDE HARD AND FAST!!!

Hope that helps. :whistling: 

:cursing:  Damn you, seeding!  :angry:

Hopefully it’s overcast on the day, or snows even; neither being likely with my current luck.

I just realized I'll have to make 2 trips to Jo'burg to collect numbers for the MTB and road races respectively  :huh: Don't they have an alternative for cyclists doing both races? 

Great.... Now i have to listen to him at the start of the race ...... again......

Oh joy. The best. Cant wait.

Sarcasm off.....

he is such an arrogant man

i make a point of not listening to any 91.9 shows just because he is on that station

Question. My daughter(12)and I will be doing the 25km mtb for the first time. We are in different starting groups but I would like us to ride together from the start. Would it be a problem if I start in her later group as far as timing is concerned?

Nope, if the timing mats are the same as per the road event then it will not be a problem - your time only starts once you cross the starting mat - I can be wrong

Question. My daughter(12)and I will be doing the 25km mtb for the first time. We are in different starting groups but I would like us to ride together from the start. Would it be a problem if I start in her later group as far as timing is concerned?

Nope, if the timing mats are the same as per the road event then it will not be a problem - your time only starts once you cross the starting mat - I can be wrong

Hi

Absolutely not problem, you may drop back to ride with anyone. You may however not move forward.

But its done all the time, people drop back to ride with friends or within a group.

Enjoy your ride

Hi

Absolutely not problem, you may drop back to ride with anyone. You may however not move forward.

But its done all the time, people drop back to ride with friends or within a group.

Enjoy your ride

I got penalised one year for starting in the B group with a friend. My time (apparently) started when A bunch left. Friend still brags that he beat me by 5 minutes. 

I got penalised one year for starting in the B group with a friend. My time (apparently) started when A bunch left. Friend still brags that he beat me by 5 minutes. 

If you've got a GPS recording on Garmin or Strava, etc,  you could send the file through to Racetec and thave your time reviewed.