947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Cycling is a difficult sport to spectate and support loved ones. 

The only ever feasible way my family have been able to support was to wait for me at the finish line.

Sometimes the Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

It's not so much about them supporting me, but more about them to experience it from a different point and to also haver some fun?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much about them supporting me, but more about them to experience it from a different point and to also haver some fun?

I can think of better things to do and have fun than standing on the side of the road for hours watching thousands of riders pass and not knowing what time you will be coming past and in all possibility will likely miss you with the groups.

When the route use to be the other way around Witkoppen road on the hill up to Malabongwe Drive use to be the festive place to be as it would be later in the day and where many would congregate for all the slower riders who still had 20kms or so to go to the finish.  Now with the reversed route we are through that area very early in the day and the crowds don't come out like they use to.  The reversed route has some crowds after Kyalami for the last push, but not as many as is difficult to get to with all the road closures whereas when it was Witkoppen is was easy for people from Douglasdale, Randburg, Northcliff and the surround areas to get to.

Am all for family inclusion, but sometimes it is just not worth it. 

Edited by shaper

probably then best to pick one of the uphills where you are going a little slower so they have more time to see you.

Maybe Jan Smuts up past the zoo ?

With the old route my dad used to often stand right where we got onto the M1 as it was the most accessible, unfortunately it was also a fast bit so he hardly got to see me and a few races missed me completely.

Thanks man.

Do you perhaps know if I can change it from the full to the 40km at registration? Or would you have to pay a fee?

I would ask to get a number change at number collection. There should be no charge as you are not changing the rider just where you start.

I would ask to get a number change at number collection. There should be no charge as you are not changing the rider just where you start.

Perfect thanks man

We seem to be running into a week full of rain, no complaints from my side.

When was the last wet 947? Feels like it is always just Hot and Dry?

Last proper wet ride was 2006. A few other years had a few drops here and there but mostly sunny, hot and wind.

Could be fun if they are a small group and set up camp somewhere for the day. Snacks + something to eat and support the fast okes down to slow ones. 

To arrive, stand somewhere, give bottles and leave again...not much fun

Our running club will be here (handing out beers...).  It is 10 km from the finish, just before the downhill to the finish.

https://goo.gl/maps/wLdHnEd3YX5fePFk6

It is easy to access from the N14 and there is a Sasol garage close by for the spectators. It is also after all the terrible climbs after Kyalami.

They will experience serious pain and suffering on the faces of the later start groups, I would suggest they bring lots of ice.

Last year there were barely any support at this point and people were struggling. 

Our running club will be here (handing out beers...).  It is 10 km from the finish, just before the downhill to the finish.

https://goo.gl/maps/wLdHnEd3YX5fePFk6

It is easy to access from the N14 and there is a Sasol garage close by for the spectators. It is also after all the terrible climbs after Kyalami.

They will experience serious pain and suffering on the faces of the later start groups, I would suggest they bring lots of ice.

Last year there were barely any support at this point and people were struggling. 

If Youre coming all the way from Durbs I'm sure its worth finding a nice spot and supporting everyone. It will be a fun experience I'm sure.

Haccs's suggestion sounds like the best. Running clubs are fun!

Last proper wet ride was 2006. A few other years had a few drops here and there but mostly sunny, hot and wind.

Of the 15 I've done 2006 was one of the most memorable.  Weird how suffering in adverse conditions creates the most vivid of memories....

I read that there are road works on the R511 near Diepsloot heading into town?
Is it quite a mess out there? Not been that way in a long...long time...!

I read that there are road works on the R511 near Diepsloot heading into town?

Is it quite a mess out there? Not been that way in a long...long time...!

Those have been ongoing for the last 2-3 years ...  There's a section of gravel road that you'll need to drive ...

Those have been ongoing for the last 2-3 years ... There's a section of gravel road that you'll need to drive ...

thanks.....so nothing major then.

Rain the previous night with weather like we have today ...

that is what my weather app is currently predicting