947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Sounds just like my day... I knew I was never going to do my VB seeding justice and decided to drop back because I have been a lazy so and so. Eventually with the crappy traffic I made D. I have never suffered so much as today. Atthe first hill I sent instructions to the engine room and got Scottie fro. Star Trek reply "shes not gonna take much more of this captain"

Felt like I was nursing cramps in all parts of my legs and glutes all 2:55 of the race.

All my fault as just not enough TITS and lack of preparation and 3kg extra getting dragged around. The difference - 20min lost on last year.

HOWEVER I do think this route is a lot harder and brutal than the other routes before.

For me though I’ve put in more training over the course of the year than ever before. I was confident of doing well.

But I think I broke myself 2 weeks back at SBR, since that day I’ve been feeling rather flat, thought 2 weeks would be more than enough recovery time.

I like this route, can’t say why though, just seems easier to me.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put my hand up and say I was one of the "those" sucking wheel at the back of a bunch on the M1, and have no guilty feelings. My goal was to finish, upright, and with a smile on the dial. Mission accomplished! One day you're the worker, another day you're the sucker - today was my turn to be the one nobody seems to like - and I don;t feel guilty not bad about doing it.

I rode most of the climbs on my own, or rather at my own pace. If I was dropped from a group, I'd pace myself until the next group came along, or I'd eventually catch the group in front. After my hot and sweaty Amashova, I topped up with some extra electrolytes, but I still felt the heat - something that I don't particularly enjoy, but I'm still happy with a good-ish ride. Kyalami was a bit better, but otherwise every other segment on Strava was slower than 2018.

As mentioned in another thread, on my ride home, with the back markers, was a humbling experience. No echelons, no slipstreaming - just determination. These are the real heroes, the ones that (usually) have to endure the worst of the conditions.

I wonder how many of these peeps will drop down to the 40Km route next year? If I was one of them, I'd certainly opt for that ride. Well done to those that set a PB, well done to those that finished and hard luck to those that suffered. 

Rumblestrips on malibongwe killed my ride today....hit them at 70kmph and chowed bofh tubes...on attempting to fix them the kids next to the road at some point nicked my wheel qr skewer..... at the next water point i bought one from another racer that couldn't carry on. By that tine they cut me on time cut off....race over. what a **** day

First 947 done and dusted!

Truth it was harder than I expected maybe the wind? Got a cramp in my leg but rode through it till water point where the nice ladies from Volataren helped me.

I feel exhilarated but exhausted at the same time. Loved the vibe and support along the road. Have to confess I pushed my bike up the one bit of the Kyalami race track ????

Had the biggest smile when I finished and got my medal!

2211 finishers for the 40km route, that's a good start, likely a lot moved from the longer distance where there are 15606 finishers. 

Scotty, I was one of those that moved to the shorter distance. One of the biggest reasons to do that it becomes a VERY long day when you drive all the way from Sasolburg and then back again. But I am quite happy with my ride. Rider 171 of 2211, 137 of 1327 for gender, 36 of 141 group position and 16 of 93 for my age group.

Rumblestrips on malibongwe killed my ride today....hit them at 70kmph and chowed bofh tubes...on attempting to fix them the kids next to the road at some point nicked my wheel qr skewer..... at the next water point i bought one from another racer that couldn't carry on. By that tine they cut me on time cut off....race over. what a **** day

That really sucks. Damn.

Pretty rough day out. Enjoyed the race but it was tough. I started in H and held back a bit to hopefully finish strong. Well that plan didnt work as I started cramping just before Kyalami. Did a 3:30 in the end, not bad considering I broke my hand 3 weeks ago :P

Two things that got to me was the lady on her e-bike climbing the mineshaft whilst I was trying to just survive... Lol yes I was jealous. The other thing was how the cows on the ice-cream cart behaved. I went back to look for my wife and found her on about 75km. The cows were rude and down right dangerous. These ice-cream carts should be banned.

Edited by jouda

Probably. Saw some 40km riders riding veeery expensive bikes

I did the 40Km this year but I normally do the full race.

I haven been riding for 2 years but with the 40Km option I was still able to at least have a good time and not sit miserably for many long hard hours.

I was able to have a nice easy ride, raise money for my charity and get some motivation to get riding again. With out the 40Km i would not have ridden.

There were a few other rides who were saying similar things.

I think its going to be VERY popular next year.

Those rumble strips were hectic. I actually wondered whether my wheels were out of true after hitting those.

I did the 40Km this year but I normally do the full race.

I haven been riding for 2 years but with the 40Km option I was still able to at least have a good time and not sit miserably for many long hard hours.

I was able to have a nice easy ride, raise money for my charity and get some motivation to get riding again. With out the 40Km i would not have ridden.

There were a few other rides who were saying similar things.

I think its going to be VERY popular next year.

How was the logistics of the bus and bike transport back to the start?

I noted that according to Racetec my start group was wrong, it showed EE and not GG.  Sent them a mail to query and when I logged back in just now I see it shows correct and my time also changed from 4:28 to 4:24  - a 2 minute improvement over my previous 947  :rolleyes: