947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

I saw a rider taking out 2 other riders on the sharp Left hand turn in the residential area, he came belting past on our Left hand side, did not brake and took out two other riders.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you kind sir!! It was indeed me and I had a blast!! So much respect for the Cannondale Topstone I was riding. Entry level gravel bike that is so diverse and fun to ride!!

I have a Niner RLT ALU with Shimano 105 - about 10kg.  So know the gravel scene a bit.  There is no way that a mere mortal like me can ride such a heavy bike with such ease!!!

Again well done!!!  

First time I`ve done the 94.7 since 2016, love the new route, access and parking also hugely improved. Hope they keep it like this.

I saw a rider taking out 2 other riders on the sharp Left hand turn in the residential area, he came belting past on our Left hand side, did not brake and took out two other riders.

Same bend, when I went past there were two female mountain bikers on the grass with a medic or someone helping them and the bikes lying there. Not sure what happened but it looked like they'd gone in too fast and lost it in the corner.

Last finisher... 8h52, started from i-batch

His 2018 time was 3h15, so he can ride a bike... maybe he took the chip off after crossing the start mat and only put it back on with his 2nd lap...

Either way, 8h52 out in that heat needs some sort of reward.

Didn't have a great ride...over-fat and under-fit (!) but celebrated with a mate who rode his 10th consecutive. Already the pain is subsiding and I'm thinking of next year...

In general though the organisation was pretty good. Just a bit of chaos at Makro when the screen failed. Found it ironic that the PA was very indistinct in the holding area but pitch-perfect in the start pens (when we didn't need it). Maybe a learning for next year? Get the sound right in the holding area as that's where comms are critical.

Video snip doing the rounds on whattsapp about footage taken in the neutral zone showing a cyclist travelling at high speed taking out other cyclists. 

I don't know if this was in group HH but there was a huge crash in the beginning when you just past the first mat about 20 guys down due to a guy racing in and did not brake or clip out in time when we were doing about 7 km/h.  . It made me very anxious to ride in a group  . I experienced a lot of bad cyclist yesterday you not going to bloody win the 94.7 from hh .

I managed a 4 hours 50 mins felt very strong till kyalami, time was 3 hours 10 mins then  i bonk and cramp up it was extremely hot and i got 9 shades of sunburn. Other then the bad apple cyclist i met a lot of cool guys. Overall Great Event my first 94.7 

His 2018 time was 3h15, so he can ride a bike... maybe he took the chip off after crossing the start mat and only put it back on with his 2nd lap...

With results like his, you’d think he might have wanted to be last.

Guess its same as with one tonner, they don't know his start time/group, so the time on racetec is the actual time of day crossing the finish line

It's just so lekker to ride Joburg's roads without having to stress about traffic.  this is one of the few times in the year I take out the roadbike and really enjoyed the sojourn through the streets in just under 4 hours.  The best part was seeing my daughter spectating - and having a serious jol after starting the day smashing a bottle of champagne and orange with her friends - and then telling me afterwards that she wants to stoke the tandem next year....now I really can't wait for 2020 :-)

Guess its same as with one tonner, they don't know his start time/group, so the time on racetec is the actual time of day crossing the finish line

I actually know him, nice guy and strong cyclist.  

If you track him using the racetec app then you'll see he started at 6:54... My bet is this is a charity ride and he waited and helped along the route.

Racetec do know what group you actually started in. That's why they have mats at the start.

Racetec do know what group you actually started in. That's why they have mats at the start.

100% will you even get a result if your chip doesn't register at the start (or any of the other mats for that matter)?

I have a Niner RLT ALU with Shimano 105 - about 10kg.  So know the gravel scene a bit.  There is no way that a mere mortal like me can ride such a heavy bike with such ease!!!

Again well done!!!  

Thank you! Yes the gravel scene does open some new avenues for enjoying our cycling. It was a hard ride yesterday but I really enjoyed it. Even taking the apex curb on the Kyalami race way was fun.