947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably find they started in a much higher group, i started in A and i saw some D riders in the pen with us.

Some anomilies on page 1 of the results page:

Some people from Batch Y, D and I came in under 2H25, after having never ridden a sub-3... placing them within the Top 100 finishers out of 15 000 people....

Any theories on where they won the time...?

My Target was 2:59:59...got 3:01, can someone please recommend a coach who can help me shave off  the 60 seconds next year?

Just shave your legs, arms, etc - you'll be more aero and much faster.

Oh, now that I remember, I did see one guy on a mountain bike being very stupid.

Heading down one of the steeper downhills he put both his hands on teh tops of his forks in order to get more aero. 

:eek:

I doubt he had any control of that bike, and having your hands so close to a spinning wheel. eish.

i saw him as well. i think it was the downhill after Randburg taxi rank  ;)

So after last years pathetic attempt at breaking a sub 3 only to be plagued with cramps i finished with a 3H19, i was looking forward to some revenge - put in some hard training however after the Macsteel race it really took a toll on me mentally, it was such a hard race, after that race i did not want to see my indoor trainer, all i wanted to do was have coffee rides with my mates so the last 3 weeks my level dropped drastically.

I started this race in A and i knew Steyn CIty was going to be brutal, I didnt get a great position in our pen and found myself rather far behind but once we got out of Steyn City I put in a massive effort to join the leading bunch in A. Had a decent recovery and got the HR out of the red, going past Cosmo City I had my first incident where the guy next to me went into the back of another guy and then collided into me, i managed to hold on and half jump the pavement, close call. Then coming into Douglasdale residential area, the sharp right hander, i came into it holding my line and unfortunately some guy came in hot and hit my right thigh and up I went off the road into a driveway lol - luckily I managed to save it however i lost touch once again with the leading A group.

I never recovered from that second incident and found myself between the lead group A and the 2nd group A, i solo'd all the way until we got onto the M1 and then about 5km into the M1 the 2nd group of A joined and boy I was relieved however at exactly 59.9km I had my first huge cramp on my right leg and i shot to the right and had to stop and stretch it out - the nightmare of last year was back and i was devastated. I managed to recover and get to kyalami, on the exit of kyalami at the top of the first climb BOOOOOM same leg in a full cramp [DAMMMMIT]

I managed it from there to the end to finish with a 2H46. I was a bit frustrated and equally happy cause it was a massive improvement from last year, this being my 2nd 947 race. Its a wonderful race.

Next stop for me, Berg and Dale.

Cheers

danny

I hope it was the dude who came past me as I turned onto Douglasdale...

I'm an easy-going, access for all kind of guy, but i did curse him under my breath as he sailed up the hill. ????

Saw a young guy on a fancy e-bike pushing it up the 3rd hill after Kyalami :clap:

Saw a young guy on a fancy e-bike pushing it up the 3rd hill after Kyalami  :clap:

:w00t: On my charity loop i found it humerous to see a couple bouth walking with their e-bikes (flat batt) on the last hill/bump before summer rd. 

In future there will most pobably be charging stations for the e-bikes  :whistling:

Edited by Prozac

Danny, seems we both suffer alot with cramps, and while training for it helps I think you need to look at some decent electrolytes if you not using enough already.

I started using Hammer Fizz and Hammer Endurolytes and have to say I didnt have a single cramp yesterday, first time in a race for me... [but at the same time maybe a sign to say I didnt go hard enough]

My sweat rate was high and I had dried up salt all over my face and helmet straps so makes me think these products worked.

On the positive, you are riding like a machine and made massive improvements, well done!

Probably find they started in a much higher group, i started in A and i saw some D riders in the pen with us.

I also noted some riders with numbers on their backs not belonging to them....do they get disqualified? I passed a guy with an A batch number named Quinton on his back entering Kyalami, just to see it is actually a young lady named Chantè (some strava stalking).

Yeah V - look since I have been on the 32gi stuff I have been extremely happy with it and the last 5 races I have been cramp free however my nutrition and hydration as well as my training took a toll the last 3 weeks and i can honestly say that was the cause.

Pure muscle fatigue and obviously the intensity in A is on another level from what Im used to so you asking a lot more from your system than you would generally do but its awesome cause you learn from these races and my prep for the next one Il have a better idea of what to do.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

Danny, seems we both suffer alot with cramps, and while training for it helps I think you need to look at some decent electrolytes if you not using enough already.

I started using Hammer Fizz and Hammer Endurolytes and have to say I didnt have a single cramp yesterday, first time in a race for me... [but at the same time maybe a sign to say I didnt go hard enough]

My sweat rate was high and I had dried up salt all over my face and helmet straps so makes me think these products worked.

On the positive, you are riding like a machine and made massive improvements, well done!

I saw her as well - yoh that drag to dunkeld her hr must have been at 700bpm, she was panting big time for some oxygen - she was well into the red there.

I also noted some riders with numbers on their backs not belonging to them....do they get disqualified? I passed a guy with an A batch number named Quinton on his back entering Kyalami, just to see it is actually a young lady named Chantè (some strava stalking).

I saw her in the start batch.

In prior years, chicks weren’t allowed in A, B or C.

I saw her in the start batch.

In prior years, chicks weren’t allowed in A, B or C.

Yeah, we had to start in D last year as my wife wanted to drop back from % and the rules on the website stated no women in A-C. To my surprise I saw women in C, when I enquired about that I was told it is old rules that needs to be taken off. The new rules state that any rider may drop down from their group, but only to B downwards. Makes me wonder if any women were seeded in A to start of with. Edited by Carbon_Kooi