947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

You passed me like I was looking for parking. Downhills and flats were fine, but the uphills - man, I miss the days where I could climb.

You still a machine !!

I bombed at Shova and you had a good race even though you rode down.

I had a good 94.7. 

This year the hills didn't feel too bad. I remember last year going up Hyde Park and suffering, this year it was over so quickly.

Needed this result to build some confidence again. Shova was crap (for me), Carnival was seriously tough so this time it was 3rd time lucky  :thumbup:

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my race ended at 38km, 2 spokes and a cracked hub meant my wheel was so buckled that I had to pedal downhill.

post-51918-0-19987200-1574145635_thumb.jpg

Seeing as I still had 50km's to go I decided to call it quits.

Will try again next year.

Everyone in the batch starts together, and your time stops when you cross the line, like a real race is done.

If it was based on mat2mat, then someone could sit at the very back, and not necessarily finish first but have a better time than someone a few bike lengths ahead of them.

at one tonner large amount was not detected over start mats (interferance) and there times was all the time of day they finished.. Took racetec about 2 weeks to sort out the issues

These anomalies are luckily very limited at the 947 it seems, percentage wise, so it does seem to be more of a system error instead of some nefarious short-cutting by riders.

Those timing mats definitely didn't cross the road entirely. So if one was to actively try to avoid them it seems doable. Which would mean that the system doesn't know where you started officially, so would it then assume you kept your word and started in the batch you were supposed to?

This would explain some of those top 100 placings from I,D and Y batch.

The batch loading marshals can't catch every single group jumper, they are just there to encourage people to stick to the rules for the sake of everyone. so I can easily see how an Y-batch oke found himself in A, which gives him 1h40 discount on his actual time.

Quick question for Frosty, or someone actively involved in these events:

What time is allocated for a rider that has a valid entry but they never cross any of the timing mats on the route, except for those final ones in the last 1km of the route?

There might have been a couple of people that live next to the route and didn't feel like going through the fuss of the congestion at the start, thus they just jumped onto the route closest to their homes...

Would they receive a finishing time?

Edited by Swift&Aero

That's a bit rough!

What was the cause?

So my race ended at 38km, 2 spokes and a cracked hub meant my wheel was so buckled that I had to pedal downhill.

IMG_0033 (1).jpg

Seeing as I still had 50km's to go I decided to call it quits.

Will try again next year.

Heard of someone that started in H batch who had a big crash. In ICU at the moment.

Anyone see anything or know what happened?

What time is allocated for a rider that has a valid entry but they never cross any of the timing mats on the route, except for those final ones in the last 1km of the route?

There might have been a couple of people that live next to the route and didn't feel like going through the fuss of the congestion at the start, thus they just jumped onto the route closest to their homes...

There are a number of points your chip is read so unlikely. At Makro to check you entered the start system, on the start line, a few points along the route and then the finish.

So if a time only appeared on the finish mat, it would be excluded

There are a number of points your chip is read so unlikely. At Makro to check you entered the start system, on the start line, a few points along the route and then the finish.

So if a time only appeared on the finish mat, it would be excluded

Good to know.

Some Strava stalking shows that these people with anomolies in the 1st 100 did do full laps at much longer time frames than being reported on the results sheet.

I assume this means it is a system glitch.

Nothing to cause panic or get upset about. The rider that is seeded in "A" instead of "Y" will probably be a little bit worse for wear after trying to stick with his/her supposed peers...

Edited by Swift&Aero

now thats tricky and dodge... they could show their gps times and say there was an error over the start mats and their chips didnt read.

Not sure of the specifics for 947 but in another race I had to send my Garmin file when I queried my official time. From that the route profile would show and could be checked.

now thats tricky and dodge... they could show their gps times and say there was an error over the start mats and their chips didnt read.

That's a bit rough!

What was the cause?

Had my wheel trued after Amashova, and I suspect the shop may have over tension-ed those particular spokes.

Just a guess, but I don't see what else would cause the hub to crack like that.

I saw her in the start batch.

In prior years, chicks weren’t allowed in A, B or C.

Never understood that rule. If you can hold the pace you can ride the batch as far as I am concerned.

Clearly rules are different in racing categories but open seeded does not make any sense to me. Would be pissed if I was a non-p@nis

Never understood that rule. If you can hold the pace you can ride the batch as far as I am concerned.

Clearly rules are different in racing categories but open seeded does not make any sense to me. Would be pissed if I was a non-p@nis

I think it is related to seeding results that are obtained after a lady in A-batch can get a finish time faster than the winning women. It probably skews the beta values.. Just a guess however, but I am sure there is a reason behind it.

I think it is related to seeding results that are obtained after a lady in A-batch can get a finish time faster than the winning women. It probably skews the beta values.. Just a guess however, but I am sure there is a reason behind it.

That happens frequently at other races where A Batch either starts before the women's racing bunch or overtakes them.

If it can be dealt with there, it can be dealt with for 947?

I know there was some concern about the 40km mixing into the main race, but from my perspective it seemed to work fine. Haven't been training enough this year for the full race, so entered the 40km. Didn't see any real drama on the route (but wasn't in the unseeded groups from both races). Ended with 1:35

Seemed to be a success for the first time implementing a 40km on the route.