Omnico - Shock Servicing

Furbz

I think their turn around time was always best case scenario. 2 to 3 days will be lost to transit so that means there would need to be a tech basically waiting for the shock at the door to get servicing. Sending it on a Wednesday means they will most likely only start it on the Monday if you are lucky, today is that Monday........

Communication is terrible yes but you may still get the shock back by Wednesday, or as you said by at least the weekend.

Hope you apologize then.

Sorry, playing devils advocate her as I think this thread is started too soon.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think their turn around time was always best case scenario. 2 to 3 days will be lost to transit so that means there would need to be a tech basically waiting for the shock at the door to get servicing. Sending it on a Wednesday means they will most likely only start it on the Monday if you are lucky, today is that Monday........

Communication is terrible yes but you may still get the shock back by Wednesday, or as you said by at least the weekend.

Hope you apologize then.

you are not wrong. it might have been started early.

but maybe you have also not had to wait 6 months for a replacement frame from omnico in the past like i have - track records matter.

on the plus side: there is a serious chance here for Omnico to score some much needed points in people perception of them if all goes well 

Thank you for the clarification - I never knew, I kinda liked Cannondale for a short while, luckily I never acted on my feelings  :thumbup:

All Lefty shocks gets serviced at Omnico.

No one in the *@U$ country know how to service a Ocho Lefty

I've been to the Omnico workshop a good few times, and have seen how the whole system works.  Essentially it's first in first out, and at this time of year they'll be quiet so it shouldn't take too long to do.  There's one guy who specializes in shocks, and he knows his stuff.  There's generally more forks than shocks there. 

I've found their work rate to be pretty fast, but as mentioned, the courier service will slow things down.  Generally if I drop something off there I can either wait for it or collect it later in the day. 

Also something to note - the workshop is just one part of the organism that is Omnico.  Just because you may have had bad service from one department there doesn't mean that the whole organisation should be painted with the same brush.  Steve (workshop manager) is a great guy and bends over backwards to help out.  Contact him directly if you're running into any issues.  

Hope you apologize then.

When I was building MAritz's bike we needed a few parts.

As luck would have it, Omnico rep was in-shop when I was speaking to Mark.  Next day I picked up my parts at Mark.

Cant comment on their servicing, but their parts side certainly has my support.

i'm missing something here. !!!

You say " if the shock arrives at them early in the week(Monday) they can have it back to you before the weekend."

So you remove the shock Wednesday afternoon - when did you courier it??

When did it arrive there.

Today is Monday and you are already posting on social media - man that's quick.

The older I get the dummer I am - please help.

Nee ooo jinne hier kom 'n ding !!!

Not even Jacques from Cogent Industries? I have seen a few Scalpels parked there for service, not sure which year though

Seen RBC service them?

Not even Jacques from Cogent Industries? I have seen a few Scalpels parked there for service, not sure which year though

100Hr at cogent only , if you need new bearings it has to go to omnico 

A week is the turn around if you're in Cape Town. Since you're upcountry 10 days working days is the norm

Just for info, if you want to have shock or forks serviced you cannot beat Robbie Powell in Port Elizabeth. https://www.robbiesbicycleconcept.co.za/

This 1000% ☝️☝️☝️☝️.....broke of the valve on my brand Fox factory dpx2, stupidest thing I have done to date. Omnico wasn’t even an option for me. Rbc fixed and returned the the shock to me in 3 days inc shipping from jhb and return. Cannot speak highly enough of there service .

Two things:

If you've been cycling for as long as I have, you will remember a time when Omnico's service was legendary. They were good and I have had service from them to back up that statement. But I suppose time and things do change.

The second thing is...……….a shock is nothing more than a mechanical device (the same applies to most other cycling products), why does it have to go to the distributors for a service. Surely, there must be others out there who can service a lefty shock. What does this shock have that makes it so unique that no other mechanic can touch it? Is it that Omnico won't make the parts available to other bike shops? 

Two things:

If you've been cycling for as long as I have, you will remember a time when Omnico's service was legendary. They were good and I have had service from them to back up that statement. But I suppose time and things do change.

The second thing is...……….a shock is nothing more than a mechanical device (the same applies to most other cycling products), why does it have to go to the distributors for a service. Surely, there must be others out there who can service a lefty shock. What does this shock have that makes it so unique that no other mechanic can touch it? Is it that Omnico won't make the parts available to other bike shops? 

proprietary internals...not to mention those needle bearings (that need a reset after every 4 weeks as well on the older ones), proprietary tools that cost R1bil each just to open the damn thing and apparently the nature of taking it apart means it is not something you can take lightly.

I have heard from a few guys that that it is basically does not make business sense to be able to service one. You could do a few "normal" forks in the time it takes to service a lefty apparently....but the suspension gurus will know better.

I have owned one before and when the novelty of owning half a fork wears off and you are faced with the horrible reality of having to get it serviced, you soon realise what a tool you were for buying it in the first place.

Archived