"Arno" on 073 170 6157

BigW

I use the BikeHub infrequently these days, so forgive me if I transgress some conventions...

I recently had some dealings with "Arno" about a very specific wanted ad for a rare item I am looking for. Arno approached me via WhatsApp, saying he is responding to the ad, but without specific information. In response to asking what he has on offer he paraphrased the subject line of my ad. I asked for photos and an asking price in response to which he provided one grubby photo. (It was of a normal crankset, not a compact that I am looking for.) He did not give an asking price and asked me to make an offer. I said that it was not what I was looking for, but may be interested anyway if he can provide some clearer photos. The next day he sent some pictures of a compact crankset, and in response to asking for some further detail pictures I received no further response. I told him that I doubted that he actually has either of those items for sale, and asked for his Hub username. No response since.

I think it is fair to conclude that "Arno" is a scammer: he had not used any of the opportunities to set the record straight (particularly being able to provide follow up pictures or providing a username). I did not find his name or number searching this forum, nor on the pop-up alert when posting a wanted ad (thanks for that, BTW) so therefore posting here. 

No he is a scammer !!!!

Luckily not a big amount but he gladly took my $ and then never answered any calls or meassages

MoFo !!!

Also had a run in with Arno (073 170 6157) replying to my bike rack wanted . Had two racks for a great price. He was "prepared" to take half up front. Despite asking, could not provide me with his bike hub username.

Said he was from PE, seemed surprised I was from JHB even when the wanted ad shows where the user is.

I called a bike shop in PE and asked if the racks could be dropped and checked there and boxed up to me before I would pay. On informing Arno, surprisingly no further communication :whistling:

Edited by Belix

Hub admin found the account he used pretty soon after my post, so let's hope he's gone back to card tricks in the parking lot for a while.