Hero Adventure Trails - Rhebokskloof Wine Estate , Paarl

Since taking over the trails at Rhebokskloof Wine Estate in Paarl in 2016 the team from Hero Adventure Trails have worked hard with many of the locals and land owners to develop something special . The Trails at Rheboks were already special so it made our job much easier to add to an already awesome place . 

Over the last few years we have not only totally redeveloped the trails , added many new sections and looked at how we can make a visit to the venue something to remember . 

Help from many legends including Duran the man , Jan Van Schalkwyk , Andrew Neethling , Hans Degenaar ,Louis Ferrera , Paarl MTB Locals and and may others . Together with our local powerhouse Darren Herbst , Hero Adventure Trails -Rhebokskloof is fast becoming a place where awesome memories are created.

Trails :

The Trails have been built to cater for MTB , Trail Running and Hiking 

* 3km Yellow : flat and flowing with lots of wide single-track . perfect for a short ride and kiddies , close to the        

venue

* 5km Green : We have tried to created a little more adventure than the normal 5km trails around , lots of Single    

track and even a few features , perfect for a run and ride with the family 

* 10km Blue : The Blue trail starts to showcase some of the great reasons why this property is so special ,     

Packed with flow trails , berms , and fun with not to much climbing 

* 20km Red : Probably the feature trail at the venue . the Pinotage trail will give you a ride/run/walk packed with. 

varied terrain , great views , lots of features and oodles of Single-track . 

* 35km Black : The big daddy and if you can suck up the climbs you are rewarded over and over again . this trail   

speaks for itself 

Hero Adventure Trails has also partnered up with Paarl Adventure trails and so have direct links to the Orange Trail , Link trails into the Paarl Mountain as well as Link trails to Spice Route .With a total network of over 200km of trails options are endless 

We have dedicated trail maintenance teams on the trails 7 days a week and continue to add and hopefully improve wherever we can , thanks to the great support from locals and land owners. 

Venue: 

Rhebokskloof is  not only a really special venue to visit with its quality wines , food and other activities . The owners and management are passionate about adventure and constantly look for ways to improve visitor experiences . The Restaurant , conference area and wine tasting venue are currently been revamped to include a coffee shop , new restaurant and cyclist / runner friendly chill areas .  

The entire team from Hero Adventure continue to work hard to improve our offerings and services to visitors . We are far from perfect but will try our asses of to at least put a smile on each face that visits our trails . 

check out all the info on the trails at

http://www.hero-adventure.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have feedback on the Rhebokskloof trails - Pinotage (22km) or Shiraz (32km)? Seems like they have lots of single track. Are there any interesting technical bits to get the heart pumping?

Dose the trail drain well, or will it be a muddy mess after the recent rains?

Have ridden Pinotage a few times and it is pretty epic - there are flow section, tech sections and just general single track sections, also there are one or two detours you can take to do parts of Shiraz and they looked hear pumping enough for me to decide against going over them at my present skill level.

Definitely worth a visit.

Not sure about the drainage as I haven't been there around rainy days/weeks.

Have ridden Pinotage a few times and it is pretty epic - there are flow section, tech sections and just general single track sections, also there are one or two detours you can take to do parts of Shiraz and they looked hear pumping enough for me to decide against going over them at my present skill level.

Definitely worth a visit.

Not sure about the drainage as I haven't been there around rainy days/weeks.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a great place.

I'd say on the black loop there are one or two sections where I get off to walk the obstacle..I like my bike too much to risk it down that steep rocky descent and narrow cave entry! The majority of the trails drain quite well, but you might find a few puddles still tomorrow morning, nothing too serious. Pack your climbing legs if you are doing the black loop!

Privileged with these great trails literally 4km from my doorstep.

Rode the 22km Red Pinotage trail on Friday. Had a great time. First time on the trials...

The surface of the trails was a bit soft due to the wet recent weather, so rolling was a bit slow. They will be great in summer.

We took all the black options along the route, which adds the technical bits - definitely include them, to keep things interesting.

There is loads of signage... almost every 50m :) And also big warning signs for anything that could catch a beginner off guard.

We wanted to do the 32km Black Shiraz route, but somewhere we missed the turn. It was a bit confusing, since the black route shares all the red route segments, so most signs show red and black arrows. The split on the top of the hill (where the black route splits off) wasn't obvious, or I somehow missed it. So keep your eyes peeled. So in the end, we only figured this out much later (too late).

The downhill switchback run was good, and will be even better when dry. A few drop offs and jumps would be welcome though. :D

Rode the 22km Red Pinotage trail on Friday. Had a great time. First time on the trials...

The surface of the trails was a bit soft due to the wet recent weather, so rolling was a bit slow. They will be great in summer.

We took all the black options along the route, which adds the technical bits - definitely include them, to keep things interesting.

There is loads of signage... almost every 50m :) And also big warning signs for anything that could catch a beginner off guard.

We wanted to do the 32km Black Shiraz route, but somewhere we missed the turn. It was a bit confusing, since the black route shares all the red route segments, so most signs show red and black arrows. The split on the top of the hill (where the black route splits off) wasn't obvious, or I somehow missed it. So keep your eyes peeled. So in the end, we only figured this out much later (too late).

The downhill switchback run was good, and will be even better when dry. A few drop offs and jumps would be welcome though. :D

for the Shiraz route you need to do a long steep climb just short of 2kms with an average gradient of about 11%, once you get to the top you hook a right, take single track down where you will cross over the climb you just did to start the long downhill single track with all the switchbacks.

P.S. in dry conditions that soil becomes dry & its like riding on marbles. So wet is better.

for the Shiraz route you need to do a long steep climb just short of 2kms with an average gradient of about 11%, once you get to the top you hook a right, take single track down where you will cross over the climb you just did to start the long downhill single track with all the switchbacks.

P.S. in dry conditions that soil becomes dry & its like riding on marbles. So wet is better.

That top section changed a while back.. there where you used to cross over the climb you go right and climb the single track in reverse to the top, then down with the old top section of the climb, right again at the cross, then you are on the old singletrack again. I still choose to do it the old way though if they trails are quiet.

Pity you missed that split point.. it's something like 6-8km extra singletrack down reward for that extra 2km climb on the black route. Definitely worth the climb!!

Pity you missed that split point.. it's something like 6-8km extra singletrack down reward for that extra 2km climb on the black route. Definitely worth the climb!!

Will definitely make sure I do it next time... Is the split obvious? It is at the point where the single track turns off left from the jeep tack on top? So you keep on with the jeep track? See arrow below...

I think I had become numb to all the signage (which mostly has all the colours on it) :D Different signage at the splits would be cool.

post-97736-0-80343600-1565958413_thumb.jpg

Edited by greg_sa

Will definitely make sure I do it next time... Is the split obvious? I think I had become numb to all the signage :D Different signage at the splits would be cool.

Yip, the split is obvious. You just keep straight on the climb instead of turning left on the red route singletrack.

Yip, the split is obvious. You just keep straight on the climb instead of turning left on the red route singletrack.

Cool, thanks - I just added a map to my previous post, but you've just confirmed what I thought.

I actually turned back at that exact point (back to the dirt road), but was with other people and didn't look properly :thumbdown:

Cool, thanks - I just added a map to my previous post, but you've just confirmed what I thought.

I actually turned back at that exact point (back to the dirt road), but was with other people and didn't look properly :thumbdown:

You see how much you've missed out on haha

post-119556-0-44060400-1565959538_thumb.jpg

That cave is intimidating the first time, but stop, check it out, grow a pair, and ride it.

You will NOT regret that decision...unless you spill, then you will definitely regret it  :whistling:

The rock garden is another story altogether. I walk it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very pleasant surprise (except that I did not plan accordingly!) yesterday when I went for a cruise on the orange. Not at all the farm roads, vineyard block riding with the odd bit of singles inbetween. That was awesome! 

Quick question though. A good while back we ran then black route and hit a great flowy section right at the top coming back. When coming down from the mountain yesterday, I saw what I thought was that turn-off, but it looked blocked. Is that bit still in existence?