Seatpost Shims

Yazpeter

or if you're not going to do that then Dayle and Lyne have them at a great price. 

I do enjoy making things, so will give it a bash 1st.

If I somehow manage to fail miserably I will visit my Holmesboy at Lyne........

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had that fouriers one before and didn't like the paper thin folded top edge. it tends to get 'straightened' out and crushed if your post slips once or twice in the seat tube due to insufficient clamping force (a fine line with a dropper)...and starts looking mangled. Cosmetic sure, but call me mr. vain? :blush:  

i got one of the cane creek ones from isiko sports. it has a fat 2mm ish cnc'd top edge that sits on top of the collar and stays there. cost a bit more though. 

it looked like crap so I chucked it.....otherwise you could have had that one mahalla Guy.

https://isikosports.co.za/Cane-Creek-CNC-Alloy-Seatpost-Shims-p91269136

post-64325-0-45693000-1564406079_thumb.jpg

i had that fouriers one before and didn't like the paper thin folded top edge. it tends to get 'straightened' out and crushed if your post slips once or twice in the seat tube due to insufficient clamping force (a fine line with a dropper)...and starts looking mangled. Cosmetic sure, but call me mr. vain? :blush:  

i got one of the cane creek ones from isiko sports. it has a fat 2mm ish cnc'd top edge that sits on top of the collar and stays there. cost a bit more though. 

it looked like crap so I chucked it.....otherwise you could have had that one mahalla Guy.

https://isikosports.co.za/Cane-Creek-CNC-Alloy-Seatpost-Shims-p91269136

What about Raider, Wrong or INsane? But you know what you want and you want it now....... (Sorry)

Just shout if you need help finishing that beer, might I suggest trying a few different "suppliers" and we work through them to find the perfect spacer.

Ha! When you come to collect your stuffs from Harry Potters Bedroom we can definitely do some shim hunting!

I've also always got stock. Of beers and actual shims.

kill two birds with one stone, good thinking batman!

• 1 year later...

Anybody have experience with using shims for a dropper post?

Do they creak? Move around?

Grease between the shim and the frame and the shim and the post. No issues. 

copaslip between shim and seatpost.

If the frame is carbon then carbon paste between the shim and carbon seat tube

If the frame is alloy then copaslip between the seat tube and shim

Thanks steady spin and Diesel

Read up that grease would help, but I'm assuming either copaslip or grease.

I just don't want to take the plunge and buy new dropper and that dreaded creeking forever plagues me

Thanks steady spin and Diesel

Read up that grease would help, but I'm assuming either copaslip or grease.

I just don't want to take the plunge and buy new dropper and that dreaded creeking forever plagues me

Like donuts and cops, shims and creaking go great together. You can seperate them but they magically always seem to reunite.

Shims are a workaround, not the goal.

Edited by BMXER

Like donuts and cops, shims and creaking go great together. You can seperate them but they magically always seem to reunite.

Shims are a workaround, not the goal.

This what didn't want to hear, I'm have to turn spend R1500 extra on a one up dropper post over the lyne one

This what didn't want to hear, I'm have to turn spend R1500 extra on a one up dropper post over the lyne one

I've used shims on 3 bikes. Zero creaks. It's really not an issue.

Also had OneUp and Lyne droppers. Both are good. Can't say one more so than the other.

Save your money, buy the Lyne, and use a shim.