Road Tyres?? which ones...

Dutch

I'm riding Schwalbe Stelvio's now for the first time ever, and i am very impressed with them so far, except obviously in the wet, since they are slicks.

Copy and paste the template below and fill in the fields so we can see who runs what!Big%20smile

Rate it also overall with a star Star system out of 5

Brand:     Schwalbe

Model:      Stelvio

Cost:         R658.00

Pros:        excellent dry weather. Good puncture resist

Cons:       dodgy in the wet, like any other slick

Overall:    great racing tyre, and overall good value for money

StarStarStar

Brand:     Conti

Model:      Gatorskin

Cost:         R280 each.

Pros:      super Puncture resistant.. 

Cons:       not much...

Overall:    great racing/training tyre, and good value for money

I would go with Michelin Pro II or Pro III Race. In a recent study they were only marginally slower than Supersonics but have MUCH better puncture protection and thread life.

okay... who can't cut and paste a template??? AND RATE WITH THE STAR SYSTME PPL!!! USE THE STARS

:)

Brand:     Continental

Model:      GP4000s.  Black Chilli

Cost:         R500.00

Pros:        Good all rounder. 

History so far:  5000km. 1 puncture. no falls. VERY good wett

weather handling.

Cons:       Not good on the rollers

Overall:    Will never buy another tyre in my life.

StarStarStarStar

Agree with ZeroCool on the Gatorskins!!!!

StarStarStarStarStar

Spidey and his GP4000's are great as well, but not as puncture resistant and for a fatty like me that counts a lot!

StarStarStarStar

Maxiss Xenith Hors Categorie

Not a bad tyre, but very bad puncture resistant (seems like a very soft rubber compound).  Got limited mileage on the tyres.

StarStar

Oh, on the bicycle...

GP4K... Wins hands down, and unlike spiderman, I don't have any problems with them on the rollers...

Oh, and when the Dulop 208's are toast, I reckon I'll try Michelin Pilot Power's

I'm riding Schwalbe Stelvio's now for the first time ever' date=' and i am very impressed with them so far, except obviously in the wet, since they are slicks.

[/quote']

Dutch, the grip of bicycle tyres on wet tar (solid surfaces) has nothing to do with grooves.  If you read up about bike grip you will see that the weight vs. contact area makes the speeds at which we travel way too low to aquaplane.  That's why the pro's don't switch to knobblies when it's wet!

When you move to loose substrates like mud and gravel, you need grip and therefore grooves.

Moral of the story; stay off the gravel with slicks.  In the wet or dry!

Ride safely with you slicks in the rain.  Science will back you up.
Willehond2008-06-23 01:10:19

i lot of people rate contis, and i use them too, but working in a bike shop, i have been shocked to note that the supplier's price seems to increase every time they do a delivery.

Maxxis Detonators. R180 (the last time I bought some) Excellent value for money but when they start getting thin you will get alot of puntures.

I'm also on Black Chilli 4000s now and really like the rolling resistance, or the lack there off. I do ride them at 120psi.

Brand:     Continental

Model:      GP4000S (schnellllllll).  Black Chilli

Cost:         R500.00

Pros:        Best non-tub tyre ever ridden. 

Did well over 6000km on a pair that I only ever punctured with a big piece of glass on their very first (jinxed) ride. They are stable in the wet and supper grippy in the dry. Combined with a pair of latex ultra-light tubes, these are the most tubbie-like clincher I've ever ridden.

Cons:       None, these are as good as they come unless you switch to tubs.

Overall:    These are the only clincher tyres to buy for racing on. Can't wait to see what the response is like on the rest of the Conti range after receiving the Black Chilli treatment.

StarStarStarStarStar