Tyre Speed and weight rating

Gate closer

Is there markings on MTB tyres that indicate maximum load and speeds? Previous weekend clocked 85km/h and after the fact wondered if the tyres should be ridden at these speeds, bearing in mind I'm not the lightest person around.

Most manufacturers provide neither a load nor a speed rating for bicycle tyres. Schwalbe often have load ratings for their tyres. The only tyres for which load and speed ratings are mandatory are fast e-bike (bikes providing assistance in excess of 25 km/h) tyres.

You've got guts. I'm scared hitting those speeds on my road bike on a smooth road, let alone on a MTB.

It was a smooth road and maybe its stupidity hence the question about speed and load ratings. 

We fairly regularly get to those speed on the MTB's on one of our loops tar sections.

The record stands at 99.8km/h with a slight tail wind :P

Edit: Never seen or heard of tyre issues due to speed.

Edited by Spoke101

Speed ratings are primarily a function of the centrifugal forces on the tyre. Bicycle tyres simply do not weigh enough or rotate fast enough for these to become an issue.

85 and 99.8 km/h on a mountain bike eisch !!!

Top speed on my road bike coming down Ou Kaapse Weg with howling south easter was 91km/h.

Never again !!

yus you people are brave :D

highest i've got is 83 and that scared me enough to never do it again

What gearing do you have on a MTB that you can do 85? Or was it a seriously steep descent?

having lekker wheels and being lekker heavy I easily run past 85kph on the road between Meerendal and Hoogekraal and that's with fat 2.35 Nobby Nic's.

having lekker wheels and being lekker heavy I easily run past 85kph on the road between Meerendal and Hoogekraal and that's with fat 2.35 Nobby Nic's.

I have hit 101kph on the tandem. Last stage of the kremetart on the only descent of that stage. We were pushing hard though with 56x11 gearing. My helmet was lifting off my head. I don't know how my glasses stayed on. I wont lie, it was scary. I won't do that again by choice but if it's a race I will do what is needed.

It sounds to me like a whole lot of people should be worrying about their brake systems rather more than their tyres! :-)

That just made my day and you are 100% right

85 and 99.8 km/h on a mountain bike eisch !!!

Top speed on my road bike coming down Ou Kaapse Weg with howling south easter was 91km/h.

Never again !!

My top speed was also aat Ou Kaapse Weg, 76km/h.