I'm considering starting a live-streamed cycling podcast. Would you listen?

DarrenV

Hi all,

I've recently been given an opportunity to create a cycling podcast / video (In a studio.  Think GMBN podcasts).  My questions are: 

• Would any of you be willing to listen to a South African cycling podcast?
  • If so, what content would you like to hear / see on the podcast?

I know there are a lot of other alternative podcasts and videos out there.  I think this could be different, have a South African focus and be interactive.  Some ideas I've had for the show:

• Expert interviews with SA's pro's, coaches, shop / brand owners.
  • Race previews and post race reports.
  • Nutrition and training advice.
  • Local trail features / discussions / highlights.

I believe the live-stream aspect can make the show very interactive and engaging.  Viewers can ask questions and interact with guests on the show.  It could become a platform for cyclists to engage with the industry, give feedback, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Darren

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've recently been given an opportunity to create a cycling podcast / video (In a studio.  Think GMBN podcasts).  My questions are: 

• Would any of you be willing to listen to a South African cycling podcast?
  • If so, what content would you like to hear / see on the podcast?

I know there are a lot of other alternative podcasts and videos out there.  I think this could be different, have a South African focus and be interactive.  Some ideas I've had for the show:

• Expert interviews with SA's pro's, coaches, shop / brand owners.
  • Race previews and post race reports.
  • Nutrition and training advice.
  • Local trail features / discussions / highlights.

I believe the live-stream aspect can make the show very interactive and engaging.  Viewers can ask questions and interact with guests on the show.  It could become a platform for cyclists to engage with the industry, give feedback, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Darren

you mean like Gerald de Kock's old mutual one

or seamus allardice's one?

I would see how much traction those get first before jumping in too much

check out ALL ride too for the more video vibe

No. 

A core aspect of a podcast is to be able to listen to it at your one convenience, i.e. whilst driving to work, on the train, during a run, etc. 

Perhaps what you're describing would be better suited as a YouTube live stream. 

I haven't heard of these ones.  Thanks, I will be sure to check them out.

No. 

A core aspect of a podcast is to be able to listen to it at your one convenience, i.e. whilst driving to work, on the train, during a run, etc. 

Perhaps what you're describing would be better suited as a YouTube live stream. 

Very true.  The podcast would still be available to listen to after the live-stream.  The live-stream just adds to the interactivity for anyone who does want to listen / watch it live.

Take note, we want live updates from Fiji for Eco Challenge

So a live version of BikeHub?

Will you call it 'Cycling Live, with Darren Five'?  :ph34r:

ha ha  :lol:  I dig the name. 

I guess in some ways it could be an audio / video extension of bikehub.

It's like the guy who walked into a bar in Rome, held up 2 fingers and said '5 beers please'....

It mostly depends just how interesting the content is. I have found so many SA productions to be way too serious and factual, which ultimately makes them lifeless and boring.

If you made it 'fun', threw caution and PC into the bin, burned dopers, called crap races crap races and didn't bow down to etiquette and the powers that govern the sport, then yes.

But if you just had Frikkie and Fanie talking about W2W or the trail seeker series or Jo Endurobro dropping Gnar bombs and Loam bullets everywhere it just becomes same same, same same...

It's a fine line to tread trying to stay current without coming across as a giant colloquialism!

But good luck, I look forward to throwing in my V cents..... Peace  :whistling:

Take note, we want live updates from Fiji for Eco Challenge

it will have to be with smokesignals.

that's all i got to communicate with once race gets going and first episode is streamed!

I listen to podcast all the time, but not live

For me it has to be convenient ...

So has to be on itunes, has to auto download from there and i just listen when i have time, have to be decent audio quality and has to be relatable ( updates every week or every month)

That being said, between the dc rainmaker on tech and the zwift podcasts on athletes and training my cycling needs are covered.