I'm considering starting a live-streamed cycling podcast. Would you listen?

DarrenV

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've recently been given an opportunity to create a cycling podcast / video (In a studio.  Think GMBN podcasts).  My questions are: 

• Would any of you be willing to listen to a South African cycling podcast?
  • If so, what content would you like to hear / see on the podcast?

I know there are a lot of other alternative podcasts and videos out there.  I think this could be different, have a South African focus and be interactive.  Some ideas I've had for the show:

• Expert interviews with SA's pro's, coaches, shop / brand owners.
  • Race previews and post race reports.
  • Nutrition and training advice.
  • Local trail features / discussions / highlights.

I believe the live-stream aspect can make the show very interactive and engaging.  Viewers can ask questions and interact with guests on the show.  It could become a platform for cyclists to engage with the industry, give feedback, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Darren

Hi Darren

As a recovering Podcast addict, I can suggest the following;

1. The live stream is a great idea. Allowing real time interaction with listeners is really cool. Particularly while you're doing a guest interview. A download only podcast is getting boring.

2. I would like to see you focus on the local industry for your topics. I'd love to know when distributors change or take on new products. I'd love to hear from shop owners on how they will add value to my buying/riding experience. Local industry news is so vague and misunderstood at the moment. It would be fantastic if you would open those channels up.

3. Think carefully about how you'll monetise the show. You can have all the passion in the world, but if the podcast isn't also bringing you an income, you'll quickly lose interest.

4. Likewise you'll quickly lose listeners if you can't bring on quality sponsors to the show.

5. Make sure you have exceptional production. You'll lose listeners and guests quickly if your show feesl ambling or if the levels differ on every show. There is nothing worse than a Podcast that feels amateur.

6. Please don't ever use the word "Groad". It's pretentious and lame :-)

7. Please don't "burn dopers" or call races "crap". There are better ways to discuss those issues or open conversation on those topics.

8. Keep your publishing frequency fluid.

9. You need to be the most interesting part of the Podcast. It doesn't matter what you discuss or who you invite in to do that with. If I can't wait to hear from you, then I can't wait to find something else to listen to.

10. Please don't ever say "On this episode...". It's "In this episode....". :-)

I really wish you all the best. Podcasting can be bloody difficult. If you need any help, reach out via PM and we can chat.

Edited by Simon Kolin

I like this idea, i would make space in my playlist for this.

But why only MTB? 

Thats great.  I'd like to look at all aspects of cycling - road, gravel, xc, enduro and downhill.

Hi Darren

As a recovering Podcast addict, I can suggest the following;

1. The live stream is a great idea. Allowing real time interaction with listeners is really cool. Particularly while you're doing a guest interview. A download only podcast is getting boring.

2. I would like to see you focus on the local industry for your topics. I'd love to know when distributors change or take on new products. I'd love to hear from shop owners on how they will add value to my buying/riding experience. Local industry news is so vague and misunderstood at the moment. It would be fantastic if you would open those channels up.

3. Think carefully about how you'll monetise the show. You can have all the passion in the world, but if the podcast isn't also bringing you an income, you'll quickly lose interest.

4. Likewise you'll quickly lose listeners if you can't bring on quality sponsors to the show.

5. Make sure you have exceptional production. You'll lose listeners and guests quickly if your show feesl ambling or if the levels differ on every show. There is nothing worse than a Podcast that feels amateur.

6. Please don't ever use the word "Groad". It's pretentious and lame :-)

7. Please don't "burn dopers" or call races "crap". There are better ways to discuss those issues or open conversation on those topics.

8. Keep your publishing frequency fluid.

9. You need to be the most interesting part of the Podcast. It doesn't matter what you discuss or who you invite in to do that with. If I can't wait to hear from you, then I can't wait to find something else to listen to.

10. Please don't ever say "On this episode...". It's "In this episode....". :-)

I really wish you all the best. Podcasting can be bloody difficult. If you need any help, reach out via PM and we can chat.

Amazing feedback. 

Thanks for this, there are many valid points to consider here.  I'm in the very early stages of planning what the podcast could look like.  I also completely agree that it needs to be great quality from the beginning.  There are so many alternatives out there.

Thanks for the support.  I'll definitely be in touch when I'm a bit further into the planning process.

Live version of the bikehub..... You just need to record toddlers having a tantrum

Or learn to speak keyboard-karate

Yes, do it for yourself and in the process you may help, influence and inspire someone, even if it's 1 person you're making more of a difference everyone else who doesn't try.

Don't care what anyone else thinks. It's real hard in the beginning but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

If you never try, you'll never know and if you fail then at least you have closure, right?

You have nothing to lose.

Just go for it, you live once.  If it works out excellent.  If it doesnt , at least you tried and you will have learnt a helluva lot from the experience. As RRR says above you got nothing to lose.............. except your reputation  :devil:

As others have stated your voice is pivotal (see what i did there) to the success of a talk show. 

My suggestion would also try form some sort of partnership with Bikehub as this is your market.  So perhaps if its a weekly podcast chat about the top 3 or 5 most interesting topics on the hub that week etc, punt the promos and other marketing initiatives that the hub is currently involved with.

Sponsorship will only come once you have established a market and only then can potential sponsors see the type of show and who it appeals to before they can jump in and target your audience... so expect to work for nudda the first few months.

Lastly you must not copy other existing formats and pods out there...BE YOURSELF(IE your humour, your personality, your opinions etc must be from your heart and not what you think your audience wants,  just be you and if the audience relates and connects to you then you are on a winner, and if it works then nobody can ever compete with you, if you try mimik others then you are just another poor copy of an original and the NET has way way to much of that.

Good luck

Also, every Tom, Dick, Harry and their dog has a podcast nowadays. It's actually insane once you get into it. Too much chaff, too little wheat.

Fact check. I don’t have a dog.