Moving to Port Elizabeth / PE

ACM

Thanks again for all the responses. I do work in IT and I am extremely blessed in terms of income/salary. 46 years old, kids 14 & 16; so it’s definitely a big consideration. Having said that, kids adapt; it’s us old folk that struggle.

I understand that IT opportunities would be extremely limited if not non existent for me in PE (based on my line of work within IT); so if I do not enjoy the new company (for some reason) I’d have to move back to JHB/PTA which would be very hard on the kids&wife.

I think it has all been said:

Enough good schools to find one that suits your requirements.

Cost of living will be a lot less.

Job opportunity will be limited.

Pace of life is a lot slower - this may be a pro or con depending on your outlook.

I have a few friends who work for international IT companies getting paid in $ - working from PE.  So if things don't work out with your current employer, don't limit yourself to looking for local work.

I moved from PE to CPT because of work.  If I could have found the same work in PE I would have stayed (at that point in time)...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also in IT and the PE companies are starting to pay more competitive salaries. A lot of the industry is related to automotive and automotive suppliers.

Curious to know what your job / field is?

Edited by Jacquers

I'm also in IT and the PE companies are starting to pay more competitive salaries. A lot of the industry is related to automotive and automotive suppliers.

Curious to know what your job / field is?

It's not my intention to 'brag' here... I'm the CIO of a big financial services company employing almost a 1,000 people.  And from what I've seen, these types of senior executive roles are very limited in PE.

If I may… can I ask a couple more specific questions; I'd appreciate responses:

In terms of cost of living I do not see (from my perspective) how PE could be that much cheaper.  Lots of costs (example medical aid, life insurance, DSTV, etc.) that are the same - doesn't matter where you live. 

Then there are costs (such as short term insurance, rates & taxes, school fees, etc.) that should be lower.  I looked at rates and taxes for properties and it doesn't look that much lower - maybe 20% (which is a lot, but a small portion of my total expenses). 

I looked at schools and Pearson's for example is R48 per month more expensive (for my 2 kids) than what I'm currently paying at Eldoraign high school - which is a normal (non private) school - a good school.  The reason I looked at Pearson's is because my son does mountain biking as school sport (the only school sport he does).  My daughter does dancing as school subject and extramural activity.  Pearson's look like the only Afrikaans school that offers both mountain biking and dancing.  This for me is important - that my kids are in AFR school and that they can continue with their sport/things they love. I looked at most of the schools and cannot find another offering this - any other suggestions?

In terms of house prices… I looked at property in PE and houses that compare to our current house (size, location, security, etc.) is pretty much the same price - if not higher in PE than in Centurion.  Now, this might be because the house market in Centurion is 'busted'.  Might be more so than in PE (at the moment).  I.e. I'll have to sell my house for 20% below 'proper value' in Centurion and maybe buy a house in PE for 10% below 'proper value'.  Not sure… I did get a realtor estimation of what I could get for my property and I would not buy a similar size home in PE for what I'm getting.

I'd appreciated responses in terms of cost of living in more detail.  Is it entertainment that's cheaper, kids extramural activities (like extra maths & physics classes - which both my kids get)? Maybe for some it's travelling… I currently drive 22km to work; so don't have a high petrol bill - plus I take the mountain bike 2 to 3 times a week - which means I drive 1 tank of petrol per month to work & back.  So, again not a high portion of my expenses.

Hi hubbers

I might get an opportunity to move from Centurion to PE. Family of 4 (wife, son 16, daughter 14). Interested to here opinions from people with families that have moved from Gauteng to PE. Cost of living. Quality of schools. Quality of life. Etc.

Not so much interested in the cycling angle; I am familiar with cycle down at Crossways, etc. More interested in general living in PE (vs Gauteng).

Thanks

If I had it my way, I would move there in a heartbeat....but I can only relate my experience to the yearly holiday and not actually having to make a living there.

I really enjoy how accessible it is to ride or run there. It feels safe and it's not hideously ugly all the time. Coleen Glen and Maitlands are fantastic. It definitely doesn't get as ugly as the Highveld in Winter.

The people there are super chilled.

The wind is something you'll learn to live with. It always blows. Maybe consider becoming a Pro Kite Surfer??? :-)

Edited by Simon Kolin

From the little bit of info I have, renting is cheaper and generally less traffic / travelling distance. PE is small compared to Jhb.

I'd suggest coming here for a couple of days and checking it out :)

From the little bit of info I have, renting is cheaper and generally less traffic / travelling distance. PE is small compared to Jhb.

I'd suggest coming here for a couple of days and checking it out :)

Been there plenty of times; more holidays in JBay, but been in PE a number of times. We like it, but financially we’ll give up a lot... so trying to gauge if the better life will be worth the financial sacrifice ????????

Been commuting from Gauteng to PE for 18 months now on a weekly basis. I really like PE to such an extent that I looking at moving the fam down at the end of the year.

Pace is reallty slow and the traffic in certain areas is really a breeze. Few very lekka places for an after work ale and the cost of living cannot be compared to Gauteng.

Good luck with your decision, I trust that after you have settled in and learned your way around, you will not regret it. Really a nice place to live.

In terms of cost of living I do not see (from my perspective) how PE could be that much cheaper.  Lots of costs (example medical aid, life insurance, DSTV, etc.) that are the same - doesn't matter where you live. 

Then there are costs (such as short term insurance, rates & taxes, school fees, etc.) that should be lower.  I looked at rates and taxes for properties and it doesn't look that much lower - maybe 20% (which is a lot, but a small portion of my total expenses). 

I looked at schools and Pearson's for example is R48 per month more expensive (for my 2 kids) than what I'm currently paying at Eldoraign high school - which is a normal (non private) school - a good school.  The reason I looked at Pearson's is because my son does mountain biking as school sport (the only school sport he does).  My daughter does dancing as school subject and extramural activity.  Pearson's look like the only Afrikaans school that offers both mountain biking and dancing.  This for me is important - that my kids are in AFR school and that they can continue with their sport/things they love. I looked at most of the schools and cannot find another offering this - any other suggestions?

In terms of house prices… I looked at property in PE and houses that compare to our current house (size, location, security, etc.) is pretty much the same price - if not higher in PE than in Centurion.  Now, this might be because the house market in Centurion is 'busted'.  Might be more so than in PE (at the moment).  I.e. I'll have to sell my house for 20% below 'proper value' in Centurion and maybe buy a house in PE for 10% below 'proper value'.  Not sure… I did get a realtor estimation of what I could get for my property and I would not buy a similar size home in PE for what I'm getting.

I'd appreciated responses in terms of cost of living in more detail.  Is it entertainment that's cheaper, kids extramural activities (like extra maths & physics classes - which both my kids get)? Maybe for some it's travelling… I currently drive 22km to work; so don't have a high petrol bill - plus I take the mountain bike 2 to 3 times a week - which means I drive 1 tank of petrol per month to work & back.  So, again not a high portion of my expenses.

I recently went through the house buying process here and what I can say is that like for like house prices are way cheaper in PE. The thing to take into account would be whether you want to see the ocean or not which is a personal preferenace thing. I lived in Brookeshill for a year with the a great sea view, but the the wind killed me there. From a school perspective, Pearson is great, but again, the wind and Summerstrand is not what she used to be with relation to the influx of students renting homes as communes. It is all a preference thing, but I personally moved inland and if I want to go for a swim, it is a 10 - 15 minute drive to the beach.

You might find it more beneficial to rent a place for a year to explore and find the area that works best for you.

For me it is a great place to stay (monday - friday), she has her nuances you need to get to know!

I recently went through the house buying process here and what I can say is that like for like house prices are way cheaper in PE. The thing to take into account would be whether you want to see the ocean or not which is a personal preferenace thing. I lived in Brookeshill for a year with the a great sea view, but the the wind killed me there. From a school perspective, Pearson is great, but again, the wind and Summerstrand is not what she used to be with relation to the influx of students renting homes as communes. It is all a preference thing, but I personally moved inland and if I want to go for a swim, it is a 10 - 15 minute drive to the beach.

You might find it more beneficial to rent a place for a year to explore and find the area that works best for you.

For me it is a great place to stay (monday - friday), she has her nuances you need to get to know!

Inland is our preference; sea view is not important to us.  a quite, family area away from the rush - if there is such a thing in PE :-) 

Renting is definitely an option until one finds feet.  how's renting prices/availability?

Inland is our preference; sea view is not important to us.  a quite, family area away from the rush - if there is such a thing in PE :-) 

Renting is definitely an option until one finds feet.  how's renting prices/availability?

I have a good friend as an estate agent in PE. PM me if you want his details, he's in the business for many a year.

Hi hubbers

I might get an opportunity to move from Centurion to PE. Family of 4 (wife, son 16, daughter 14). Interested to here opinions from people with families that have moved from Gauteng to PE. Cost of living. Quality of schools. Quality of life. Etc.

Not so much interested in the cycling angle; I am familiar with cycle down at Crossways, etc. More interested in general living in PE (vs Gauteng).

Thanks

This is one of the reasons I would go....

post-20015-0-17807500-1565188039_thumb.jpg

Pearson is a dual medium school, but seems to be getting more English. They are very sport focused, to the point where I believe it becomes a negative factor. There is too much pressure to perform (ask the girls 1st Waterpolo Team who were chastised for not winning a national tournament). I have very close family, very much involved in school mountain biking and they have not mentioned that Pearson has this as a sport. Perhaps it is something new.

Pearson is the flavour of the month in terms of schools in PE with people tearing each others eyes out to get their kids in. Considering what they offer, their fees are very low.

If you move to PE, don't choose a school based on mountain biking and dance alone. There are other schools that offer this and if you can't find one that offers this, there are plenty of mtb clubs and dance schools your kids can join.

i honestly think PE has some of the best beaches in SA. Our commercial beachfront is way nicer than CT or Durbs and then we have sards and schoenies on the other side. if beaches arent your thing there is some of the best 4x4 / adventure biking routes on your doorstep. otherwise the karoo is just up the road if you want to shoot something.

i lived in London for 8 years and when i got back to PE it seemed to me that everything happens in slow motion - but you get used to it. 

Pearson is a dual medium school, but seems to be getting more English. They are very sport focused, to the point where I believe it becomes a negative factor. There is too much pressure to perform (ask the girls 1st Waterpolo Team who were chastised for not winning a national tournament). I have very close family, very much involved in school mountain biking and they have not mentioned that Pearson has this as a sport. Perhaps it is something new.

Pearson is the flavour of the month in terms of schools in PE with people tearing each others eyes out to get their kids in. Considering what they offer, their fees are very low.

If you move to PE, don't choose a school based on mountain biking and dance alone. There are other schools that offer this and if you can't find one that offers this, there are plenty of mtb clubs and dance schools your kids can join.

Thank you for the response and advice.  From what you say Pearson is definitely not the type of school our kids would enjoy.  The do sport for fun and school for an education :-)

What's your view on DF Malerbe?