Moving to Port Elizabeth / PE

ACM

i honestly think PE has some of the best beaches in SA. Our commercial beachfront is way nicer than CT or Durbs and then we have sards and schoenies on the other side. if beaches arent your thing there is some of the best 4x4 / adventure biking routes on your doorstep. otherwise the karoo is just up the road if you want to shoot something.

i lived in London for 8 years and when i got back to PE it seemed to me that everything happens in slow motion - but you get used to it. 

It will definitely take some getting used to the slow motion; but as long as it's professional, ethically, etc. (in terms of work) then slow doesn't bother me.  Outside of work, slow is good... I need to slow down - have been running in the red zone for better part of 25 years in GP and it's NOT funny anymore  :blush:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I wouldn't recommend Framesby. I was there years ago and left. And I was told by another ex classmate it got worse. And thats 20 years ago.

2) Unprettiness? WOT BRUV?

It's a good school.

Thank you for the response and advice. From what you say Pearson is definitely not the type of school our kids would enjoy. The do sport for fun and school for an education :-)

What's your view on DF Malerbe?

It's a good school. I tried to get my daughter to consider it but she was having none of it. It's quite small as far a high schools go, so don't have the facilities a school like Pearson has. She's big into swimming and waterpolo and DF doesn't offer this. I don't think they have a pool. I have work colleagues whose kids are there and they are happy.

Schools are a personal thing. I'm not a fan of Pearson, but everyone else loves it. It might be what your kids like.

Another colleague has kids in Framesby and they love it.

I assume you are looking at Afrikaans schools.

I have lived in PE for 20+ years now. Ex Gautenger!

I would only move back at gun point, and even then I'd probably risk some form of escape.

We live in Kragga Kamma Park which has a little country in it. Kids went to Sunridge Primary and then Pearson. Pearson is an awesome school. They both excelled in Waterpolo which, during their time there, was at the top of SA Schools Girls Polo.

There are a couple of really cool country estates, which you may want to consider. Sardinia Bay Golf Estate is a real nice one.

Summerstrand is probably the best if you intend using the sea a lot, but remember PE is the 10 minute city.

PE is definitely an outdoors city, but I must warn you, you will have to get used to the wind and people just striking up a chat in the supermarket queue. Not something the upcountry folk are used to.

Oh, and if you're a golfer, expect your handicap to go out a couple of shots.

All in all a wonderful place to live and bring up children. You're welcome to call me if you want any assistance.

Thank you for the response and advice.  From what you say Pearson is definitely not the type of school our kids would enjoy.  The do sport for fun and school for an education :-)

What's your view on DF Malerbe?

DF is a good school, but is quite small. They are traditionally an Afrikaans school, but due to low numbers have been forced to take on English kids.

My daughter goes to Alexander Road High. She loves it. A friend's daughter was also there. The mother had some issues (still not sure what they were) and they moved her to DF. They are happier there.

I guess what I'm saying is that we all have our preferences with regard to schools and reasons for choosing certain schools. You need to explore each one and decide for yourself. Pearson may just be the right one for your kids.

generally, all the "Model C" schools are good schools.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

I have lived in PE for 20+ years now. Ex Gautenger!

I would only move back at gun point, and even then I'd probably risk some form of escape.

We live in Kragga Kamma Park which has a little country in it. Kids went to Sunridge Primary and then Pearson. Pearson is an awesome school. They both excelled in Waterpolo which, during their time there, was at the top of SA Schools Girls Polo.

There are a couple of really cool country estates, which you may want to consider. Sardinia Bay Golf Estate is a real nice one.

Summerstrand is probably the best if you intend using the sea a lot, but remember PE is the 10 minute city.

PE is definitely an outdoors city, but I must warn you, you will have to get used to the wind and people just striking up a chat in the supermarket queue. Not something the upcountry folk are used to.

Oh, and if you're a golfer, expect your handicap to go out a couple of shots.

All in all a wonderful place to live and bring up children. You're welcome to call me if you want any assistance.

Pearson is still the best for waterpolo. It's kinda like a religion there. 

Hasn't Pe got a bit dodgy in terms of crime, or is that East London, there were some beaches that have become no go zones due to all the muggings?

Hasn't Pe got a bit dodgy in terms of crime, or is that East London, there were some beaches that have become no go zones due to all the muggings?

That's East London. Eastern Beach and Orient have gone downhill.

Why has EL got so bad?

Was it ever good?

I was totally underwhelmed by East London when we stayed there on our way to the Wild Coast and Natal.Miserable

That's East London. Eastern Beach and Orient have gone downhill.

Visiting Eastern Beach and Orient and then writing off the whole of EL is a bit like visiting Hillbrow and writing off the whole of Johannesburg.

Was it ever good?

I was totally underwhelmed by East London when we stayed there on our way to the Wild Coast and Natal.Miserable

You don't know where to go.

You don't know where to go.

I'm sure

We were sleeping in a combi on a surfing trip and the weather was miz.

I remember huge dunes close to where we were in the bush

Visiting Eastern Beach and Orient and then writing off the whole of EL is a bit like visiting Hillbrow and writing off the whole of Johannesburg.

Its not exactly difficult to write off Joberg

Edited by Kranswurm