Meerendal for a beginner

Echo25

Hi

ON the 28th of July I did my very first ever MTB race. The Stellenbosch MTB challenge. Only the 22km, but this was also my first time ever on a MTB.

It went well (Some walking along the way) and last weekend I attempted to ride the short trail at Delvera and it kicked my behind. :)

How would the yellow course at Meerendal compare? Looking for a fun ride

Thanks

No man, go straight for the green route at Meerendal. It is fine for a noobie and you'll get all the burmy goodness that will get you hooked even more. Super fun.   

Hi

ON the 28th of July I did my very first ever MTB race. The Stellenbosch MTB challenge. Only the 22km, but this was also my first time ever on a MTB.

It went well (Some walking along the way) and last weekend I attempted to ride the short trail at Delvera and it kicked my behind. :)

How would the yellow course at Meerendal compare? Looking for a fun ride

Thanks

Meerendal is great for beginners - yellow course just farm jeeptrack so you would be perfectly fine.

You can even try the other routes as well, most of it except the Dorstberg climb & downhill would be perfectly fine for most beginners

I took my girlfriend there when she was still a complete noob, thinking Meerendal was as easy as it gets around TBMTB trails.

I took her on the red route, which she handled quite fine, albeit a lot of anger directed towards me at the time.

Just some of those sharper corners on a descent she got off the bike and pushed.

Other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Just get off your bike when you feel unsure about yourself being able to handle a corner or something like that. Get back on when safe and keep riding.

Skill comes with time.

PS, She still refers to the "Stairway to Hell"...

Just some of those sharper corners on a descent she got off the bike and pushed.

Other than that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Just get off your bike when you feel unsure about yourself being able to handle a corner or something like that. Get back on when safe and keep riding.

Skill comes with time.

PS, She still refers to the "Stairway to Hell"...

VERY good advise !!

YES, comparatively Meerendal is one of the easier routes.....

But a "first timer" may have issues with:

- Mine shaft

- Stairway to heaven is not dangerous, but surely many have walked parts of it ...

- a few erosion ditches may cause slight obstacles for new riders ....

If you know the basics of standing on the peddles, and when to use which brakes then you really should be okay.  

Still a good idea to walk a few of the blind corners the first time you ride any trail, build up speed and confidence over time and many laps.

As easy as Meerendal is, I have seen people fall.  So treat any and all trails with a dose of respect.  As you get to know the trails you can speed up and have loads of fun.

ENJOY !

Edited by ChrisF

My response to my wife would have been "it's because you are unfit" and then a new fight would have started  :devil:

It helps that there was wine and cheesecake at the end to make up for the punishment  :clap:

Ride and push your bike all the way to the top, drop in and let the brakes go! By the time you get to the bottom you will have the hang of it ???????????????? it's what we used to do, yes you crash a lot but you learn quickly ????

You'll be fine. I went there when I started taking up mtb again.

There was this Craig conundrum or something that caught a few guys out. Not because it's technical but because they twyfel there.

Trick is to decide and commit...no time to 2nd guess ????????

Meerendal is super accessible for beginers AND super fun, go have fun ;)

Except for the dorstberg climb, ibeginners car do everything ;)

Edited by Jbr

I wonder how many folks know of the fairly decent jump line at the back of the "Yellow" line..?

I stumbled upon it quite by accident a while back.

You mean on the southern side of the dam loop?