Cheap steel gravel build

I purchased a steel frame, on the cheap. I hate the paint work, think of stripping it and respraying it.

Dont know where to start, I have asked around for quote on doing this and all of them have been more than the cost of the frame. Any suggestion on where I can go to get this done in Cape Town.

Or is it something I could DIY, just a clear coat over the steel? Just worried about the thru axles and small part.

You can get it powder coated cheaply. A few hundred bucks. Usually one colour, then just add detail with a spray can and stencils if you want to do it on the cheap.

The real artists will cost a lot. The prep involved in steel is substantial, which is why it costs. Time is valuable.

If it was Alu I would recommend a spray can job (see SQUID bikes) but steel at the coast will rust if you do a shoddy job.

Not too fast if you sand, prep, primer then spray and finish with a clear laquer. But that depends on time, effort and your definition of cheap.

Resprayed my own steel frame couple of years ago. Turns out doing more than one color is a mission not to mention expensive. Used the Rustolium brand and got Undercoat (helped to smooth out some of the dings on the frame), And then applied the color and after that dried applied the clear coat. TO go cheap just the clear coat will work. To protect the threads I used an old taped up BB and cage nuts (you can do the same for the through axle). Also make sure to use an old seat post (great for handling the frame while spraying). I also removed the headset cups, but cannot remember how I covered the inner surface of the head tube (guess just taping the inside will also work). If you want to add some branding, maybe get some vinyl prints/cuts and stick it to the frame before applying the clear coat.

Only problem is that the paint chips easily compared to a professional paint job (where the frame will be baked in an oven to get the paint to cure). Not too bothered with the chips since I'm not near the coast.

Is powder coating not an option? Not sure if there is maybe an electroplating option as well (think Dave Mercer did it to some of his Hungry Monkey frames, result looked really good and is apparently very hardy)

Edited by johanpre44

I have stripped a frame once and have had 2 custom sprayed after that by CBR in Durbanville. I will gladly pay the R2k for custom job than do it myself again.

Firstly it is going to cost you around 1k anyway for stripping and descent paint, that is if you have a spray gun and compressor.

As for epoxy/powder coating the finish isn't that great (I have a couple of tons powder coated every month) it chips easier than glass and sits in the thread. Plus you still need to strip the paint off, would not recommend sand or shot blasting the finish is to rough can do vapour blasting but it's expensive.

It's going to cost you money either way I would just rather have it done professionally and have a bike that makes me go WOW.

Can also highly recommend going the CBR-Durbanville route.  :clap:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/182199-carbon-bicycle-repairs-durbanville/

Some more detail of our rebuild project -

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181779-mongoose-rebuild-project/

If you really want the satisfaction of doing it yourself .... there are threads on the Hub of people using Rustoleum products.  It is available at most hardware stores.  https://www.rustoleum.com/

Edited by ChrisF

Ok so this is just my opinion 

I would leave the steel frame as is, let it develop some patina. Steel "ages" so well.  id rather spend the money decent tyres, which in my view would be much more beneficial to the build 

Post some pics of what you currently have 

Resprayed my own steel frame couple of years ago. Turns out doing more than one color is a mission not to mention expensive. Used the Rustolium brand and got Undercoat (helped to smooth out some of the dings on the frame), And then applied the color and after that dried applied the clear coat. TO go cheap just the clear coat will work. To protect the threads I used an old taped up BB and cage nuts (you can do the same for the through axle). Also make sure to use an old seat post (great for handling the frame while spraying). I also removed the headset cups, but cannot remember how I covered the inner surface of the head tube (guess just taping the inside will also work). If you want to add some branding, maybe get some vinyl prints/cuts and stick it to the frame before applying the clear coat.

Only problem is that the paint chips easily compared to a professional paint job (where the frame will be baked in an oven to get the paint to cure). Not too bothered with the chips since I'm not near the coast.

Is powder coating not an option? Not sure if there is maybe an electroplating option as well (think Dave Mercer did it to some of his Hungry Monkey frames, result looked really good and is apparently very hardy)

Thinking of going for that spray paint option. It is a cheap build so not to bothered if it chips.  Keen to do it DIY, just for the fun of it. 

I have stripped a frame once and have had 2 custom sprayed after that by CBR in Durbanville. I will gladly pay the R2k for custom job than do it myself again.

Firstly it is going to cost you around 1k anyway for stripping and descent paint, that is if you have a spray gun and compressor.

As for epoxy/powder coating the finish isn't that great (I have a couple of tons powder coated every month) it chips easier than glass and sits in the thread. Plus you still need to strip the paint off, would not recommend sand or shot blasting the finish is to rough can do vapour blasting but it's expensive.

It's going to cost you money either way I would just rather have it done professionally and have a bike that makes me go WOW.

All the quotes, I have so far are in the range of 4k, which is more than I paid for the frame. Havent checked out CBR so I will check out their work. Thanks

Mmmmmmmm, steel :drool:

OK, back to the thread.

Steel frames are awesome, but require some extra effort when down at the coast. They rust, and seatposts get stuck!!! Personally, I like the way a raw steel frame ages. It develops a patina of sorts, which I then lightly smooth out when it's time and just clear coat the frame. 

If you want colour, they a DIY job (preferably with Rustoleum), will cost you in the region of R1k. Each bottle of spray costs around R150.00 if memory serves, and you start on 3 bottles, for a single colour (primer, colour & clear). The add paint stripper, brushes, steal wool, sandpaper etc and you reach R1k quick!!!!

Also if the boredom hits, go check out a product that they call "frame saver" (I think), this is a EU product that apparently helps against rust on the inside of the frame.

Mmmmmmmm, steel :drool:

OK, back to the thread.

Steel frames are awesome, but require some extra effort when down at the coast. They rust, and seatposts get stuck!!! Personally, I like the way a raw steel frame ages. It develops a patina of sorts, which I then lightly smooth out when it's time and just clear coat the frame. 

If you want colour, they a DIY job (preferably with Rustoleum), will cost you in the region of R1k. Each bottle of spray costs around R150.00 if memory serves, and you start on 3 bottles, for a single colour (primer, colour & clear). The add paint stripper, brushes, steal wool, sandpaper etc and you reach R1k quick!!!!

Also if the boredom hits, go check out a product that they call "frame saver" (I think), this is a EU product that apparently helps against rust on the inside of the frame.

Yeah going for Rustoleum and just a clear coat, mainly doing this cause I want a raw steel build.

Ok so this is just my opinion 

I would leave the steel frame as is, let it develop some patina. Steel "ages" so well.  id rather spend the money decent tyres, which in my view would be much more beneficial to the build 

Post some pics of what you currently have 

for anyone interested...this isthe stuff you use to seal in patina..

it was developed as a paint additive to eliminate brush stroke marks in oil/polyurethane paints but works awesome as a sealer too. It displaces air and moisture on the surface...something normal clear coat wont do.

available here:

https://floodsa.co.za/product/penetrol/

have a read on the stuff. alot of custom car guys use it to seal in that rat look on surface rust too.

post-64325-0-54542900-1565882834_thumb.jpg

I have resprayed several of my bikes over the years. Steel is the easiest to do as the paint adheres better than to ally. Strip back to bare metal with paint stripper and scrapers. This is the hardest part. Then wash it thoroughly otherwise bits of paint stripper left in cable guides etc will cause issues. Sand the whole frame smooth with water paper. Wipe down with acetone rag then primer. 1 spray can will do a hardtail frame.

Let it dry for 24 hours then a can of colour. Then after 24 hours either gloss clear coat or more colour. That's the fun bit, masking up and doing designs/ patterns etc. But if you are just doing 1 colour then 1 can primer, 2 cans colour, 1 can clear coat and the paint stripper/ sand paper etc should cost 400 to 500 bucks. And remember, the quality of the finish totally depends on the care you put in to the prep work

• 2 weeks later...

Let's start with posting some photo's of said purchased frame...  :whistling:

I purchased a steel frame, on the cheap. I hate the paint work, think of stripping it and respraying it.

Dont know where to start, I have asked around for quote on doing this and all of them have been more than the cost of the frame. Any suggestion on where I can go to get this done in Cape Town.

Or is it something I could DIY, just a clear coat over the steel? Just worried about the thru axles and small part.

• 3 months later...